2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Car looks a tad lazy on turn in. Seems the rear isn’t quite there at the moment either. (NOR)

CjC
CjC

Just a fan's point of view

Maax70

It takes so long to see this step. I look forward to see the pace and honelstly I would expect something better. But I guess the fine tuning of the new underfloor starts now , months later than Alpine & C. Norris said "it’s a car which will hopefully allow us to unlock more in the future, into next year." I agree: just a little bit disappointing.... tomorrow it will be better

CjC
CjC

What I don’t understand is James Key says it should improve slow and medium speed grip and also some efficiency but Lando says it’s a different design that has the same performance as the old design????

AR3-GP

CjC wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 22:17
What I don’t understand is James Key says it should improve slow and medium speed grip and also some efficiency but Lando says it’s a different design that has the same performance as the old design????
Well it might have reduced performance in another area of the map that was peaky. So the net might be the same, but more stable for the driver, and more range for development.

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 22:17
To put it in simple terms, the old design was capped… The amount of performance they could extract from it was more limited than the current design… So Level 1 New Concept = Level 10 Old Concept… From a lap time perspective “at Singapore” they yield the same results, but the new concept has more potential for further development, it’s just behaving different to create the lap time, in Lando’s words:

“They’re performing as expected, which is in some ways similar to the way the car felt before the update, with just some small tweaks in the way that it works, and acts, which is what we want.”

At the same time, been a new concept, the operating window has had to change and finding the sweet spot will take a bit of time… If a non-optimized new concept delivers the same lap time as the optimized old concept, that’s a good sign overall.

Beyond that, in my opinion McLaren’s biggest delta to the front doesn’t come primarily from the aero concept, it is mechanical grip that creates the biggest gap and that’s chassis/suspension related.

CjC
CjC

Quite right guys but what is puzzling me is the James Key comment. OR does he mean it’ll improve slow and medium speed grip down the line and because it’s written in an article I’ve not interpreted as it was intended? I’ve just read it and thought he meant straight away at this circuit which we usually expect an update to do

MrGapes

The car is losing so much time in the last high speed corner.. its insane... all the way up to the last sector its within 3 tenths to the ferrari, mercs and redbulls and loses about a second through the tight stuff and a huge amount in the last high speed corner.
Last edited by MrGapes on 01 Oct 2022, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP

MrGapes wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 03:14
The car is losing so much time in the last high speed corner.. its insane... all the way up to the last sector its within 3 tenths to the ferrari and loses about a second through the tight stuff and a huge amount in the last high speed corner.
Ferrari is murdering everyone in T22/T23

MrGapes

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 03:15
MrGapes wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 03:14
The car is losing so much time in the last high speed corner.. its insane... all the way up to the last sector its within 3 tenths to the ferrari and loses about a second through the tight stuff and a huge amount in the last high speed corner.
Ferrari is murdering everyone in T22/T23
it loses this much time to most of the top competitors...I think it may of been a mistake (didn't watch fp1), but looks like the tight stuff in the last sector doesn't look great, car loses most of its lap there

Szabi1112

Another bad weekend is going underway. Dou you still think Key is the best person to lead the technical team.
Looking at the picture below I am very confused about it. We are on the Williams-level regarding the slow corners grip.
Ok, I know, the facilities are not the best, but seriously. Is this the level we can do in Woking MTC? I guess no.

djos

In the wet Daniel is at least consistently within ~3/10ths of Lando despite having the old spec car.

And in that final lap he improved by just over a second putting him 8/10ths up on Lando for FP3.

Qually should be interesting.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

It’s been a weakness since 2019 so it’s either personal or equipment and considering the personnel has changed you’d imagine it’s the facilities.
There’s a fascinating interview with Key where he talks about the capabilities of the latest wind tunnel and simulator technologies after reading it I understood how the facilities can hold them back.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/exactly- ... d-it-back/

Just an FYI I’m not making excuses. Mclaren do need to do a better job than what is currently being done.

MrGapes

my god left Lando out on the same inters...

quite lucky there... everyone on the new inters were going quicker by a second... jeez

sucks for Daniel didn't see his lap don't know if anything happened

MrGapes

car looks extremely lazy everywhere too be honest...