2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 12:11
Yeah, it does seem a little strange they keep bringing it back up - regardless of their/peoples thoughts.
Do you understand what you are saying?!

It only the most controversial F1 moment of the decade. It will never be forgotten. Forgiven but not forgotten.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 06:46
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:35
I think (my point of view) Mercdes tried something in 2022 however it is failed. I bet they going back to their drawing board again and come up with challenging care for 2023.

2022 seems over confident.
Merc problem may be due to their PU and that is something which they can't change until 2026. For this reason, Merc will not be able to copy RBR and Ferrari designs and hope for a similar performance outcome.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... s-obvious/
The power unit is actually better packaged than previous versions. It's actually an advantage aerodynamically.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

selvam_e2002 wrote:
I think (my point of view) Mercdes tried something in 2022 however it is failed.
Certainly. In summary, Mercedes' design lacked common sense:

Andrew Shovlin says:
It has been a very interesting journey. I think we were overly optimistic in where we thought we could run the car.
The car that we launched had a lot of downforce close to the ground, and there were a lot of issues being able to actually run the car on track there.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/23/me ... 22-f1-car/

Mercedes supposed it was possible to run the car low to the ground with very hard suspension, and neglected to consider that this was impractical in the real world. As we have seen instead, the better performing 2022 cars have been those that can produce downforce at higher ride heights and which have more compliant suspension, like the Ferrari and Red Bull.

Notwithstanding that beyond that, Mercedes apparently failed to incorporate measures to mitigate porpoising into the design: for example lacking the combination of anti-dive suspension geometry, bib spring, thick aluminium floor support within the bodywork, ice skates, etc as presented on the launch Red Bull and other teams which took into account 'minimising the porpoising instability' when designing their race cars.

Pat Symonds noted:
Anyone who’s worked in sportscars or worked in Formula 1 for a long while knows the phenomena [of porpoising]. It’s fixable within the framework of the rules and the technology allowed on the cars now. As it always has been, the secret is to minimise the [porpoising] instability while keeping the performance.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... g-problem/

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 04:15
selvam_e2002 wrote:
I think (my point of view) Mercdes tried something in 2022 however it is failed.
Certainly. In summary, Mercedes' design lacked common sense:

Andrew Shovlin says:
It has been a very interesting journey. I think we were overly optimistic in where we thought we could run the car.
The car that we launched had a lot of downforce close to the ground, and there were a lot of issues being able to actually run the car on track there.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/23/me ... 22-f1-car/

Mercedes supposed it was possible to run the car low to the ground with very hard suspension, and neglected to consider that this was impractical in the real world. As we have seen instead, the better performing 2022 cars have been those that can produce downforce at higher ride heights and which have more compliant suspension, like the Ferrari and Red Bull.

Notwithstanding that beyond that, Mercedes apparently failed to incorporate measures to mitigate porpoising into the design: for example lacking the combination of anti-dive suspension geometry, bib spring, thick aluminium floor support within the bodywork, ice skates, etc as presented on the launch Red Bull and other teams which took into account 'minimising the porpoising instability' when designing their race cars.

Pat Symonds noted:
Anyone who’s worked in sportscars or worked in Formula 1 for a long while knows the phenomena [of porpoising]. It’s fixable within the framework of the rules and the technology allowed on the cars now. As it always has been, the secret is to minimise the [porpoising] instability while keeping the performance.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... g-problem/
Mercedes were not the only team to suffer severe porpoising. Every team did with the exception of Red Bull and even they had some.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wogx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 04:10
chrisc90 wrote:
Yeah, it does seem a little strange they keep bringing it back up - regardless of their/peoples thoughts.

It only the most controversial F1 moment of the decade. It will never be forgotten. Forgiven but not forgotten.
No one cares now, that Renault risked with their driver's health/life in 2008. No one will care about 2021 in 2025-2028.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Just_a_fan

wogx wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 17:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

No one cares now, that Renault risked with their driver's health/life in 2008. No one will care about 2021 in 2025-2028.
It will be remembered just like Piquet Jnr's "crash", Michael's Monaco "mistake" (and his other deliberate "mistakes" with Villeneuve and Hill), Senna's deliberate crash (and Prost's the year before).

Yes, certain fans will try to deflect and forget, but the sport as a whole will remember.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 30 Sep 2022, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerfist

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 20:45
wogx wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

It will be remembered just like Piquet Jnr's "crash", Michael's Monaco "mistake" (and his other deliberate "mistakes" with Villeneuve and Hill), Senna's deliberately crash (and Prost's the year before).

Yes, certain fans will try to deflect and forget, but the sport as a whole will remember.
Agreed

PlatinumZealot

wogx wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

If you lie to yourslef so, i wonder what you say to us forumers! [-o<
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Close, very close - but no cigar.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Hammerfist

Yeah. I really would have wished for normal qualifying. His first lap in Q3 Ham destroyed everyone. I think the tires ran out of grip at the end and the others were able to pip him. Amazing how far they've come. This current version of the W13 probably poles Monaco. Exciting. The next track where they can have pole will be Mexico, due to the high altitude and hence low drag and i think they are going to win Mexico.
Tomorrow it will be tricky to get past the Ferrari and Redbull around this track where it's extremely difficult to overtake, but maybe these new cars will be able to pass on this track. Still, it will be hard to pass when you have a top speed defiicit.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah should have changed to fresh softs. He bossed it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

I imagine this is for Lewis' Jewellery infringement. Must be a much harsher penalty for failing scrutineering.

Tvetovnato

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 16:18
Yeah. I really would have wished for normal qualifying. His first lap in Q3 Ham destroyed everyone. I think the tires ran out of grip at the end and the others were able to pip him. Amazing how far they've come. This current version of the W13 probably poles Monaco. Exciting. The next track where they can have pole will be Mexico, due to the high altitude and hence low drag and i think they are going to win Mexico.
Tomorrow it will be tricky to get past the Ferrari and Redbull around this track where it's extremely difficult to overtake, but maybe these new cars will be able to pass on this track. Still, it will be hard to pass when you have a top speed defiicit.
I don’t think they ran out of grip. They had to keep going in order to not lose temps. Lewis ran way too deep into the chicane before the grandstand tunnel chicane, that is where the pole was lost.

Plenty of opportunities tomorrow, although it will be a lottery as usual.

ringo

Good lap, I think he did well because of experience driving the corners. Who knows. Alonso was doing well also.
But the car seems to still be hesitant to turn when watching George's runs.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 16:25

I imagine this is for Lewis' Jewellery infringement. Must be a much harsher penalty for failing scrutineering.
Slap for the team, nothing for Hamilton.

He has a doctor's letter, apparently, as it keeps getting infected when removed and replaced.

FIA's reasoning is it's metal and there could be a hear issue. But as Hamilton says, the helmets, overalls, wires, etc., all have metal.

The whole thing is just a reprisal for not turning up at the ceremony last year. Childish and makes the sport look extremely backwards in this day and age.