2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

No sense in analyzing a woulda coulda shoulda lap. Because he was under fueled that weight advantage contributed to the performance, and that's why teams fuel low in the first place. We do not know if it was sufficiently fueled if he would have been on pole or not.
Poor planning by redbull, and plus Max was making mistakes all over the place. Likewise Perez, but the car is somehow fast enough to still put itself on the front row. I was quite surprised that it made so much time on the straights.

I still think Max will win. Overtakes do happen at this track, and with the ability to follow closer, cars will have no issue keeping in tow until they come onto the straight and do an easy overtake.
Max can be up to P4 by lap 10.

I believe Hamilton and Mercedes can pull a good strategy to win this race.Tyre deg may be good for them and I think Perez will just not be up to the task to stay ahead, I am expecting mistakes from him and Charles.
For Sure!!

Sieper

falonso81 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:06
Shame for Max but i disagree that it was a monster lap. Charles did not put in a lap at the end and the track was evolving at a very fast rate, so much that anyone of the top 4-5 had a shot at pole if they were the last to cross the line.
RB was on fumes and the Honda engine turned up more than Ferrari.
Otoh the Ferrari is the better car in qualy. Monster lap, not so much, but he was right there when it counted. Or not actually :lol:

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

I'm afraid of Perez acting like a kamikaze to help Verstappen again and again.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

search

El_KaPpa wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:38
can't really see why, tbh. Verstappen doesn't need any more points anway, so Perez should be free to go for the win as good as he can

ringo

El_KaPpa wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:38
Max has the championship in the bag, redbull are better off letting Perez maximize his points to stay P2 in the championship. I do think he and Alonso will fight Hamilton hard come to think of it.
For Sure!!

chrisc90

Does anyone know anything about what the possible race runs were looking like?

LM10
LM10

ringo wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:29
No sense in analyzing a woulda coulda shoulda lap. Because he was under fueled that weight advantage contributed to the performance, and that's why teams fuel low in the first place. We do not know if it was sufficiently fueled if he would have been on pole or not.
Poor planning by redbull, and plus Max was making mistakes all over the place. Likewise Perez, but the car is somehow fast enough to still put itself on the front row. I was quite surprised that it made so much time on the straights.

I still think Max will win. Overtakes do happen at this track, and with the ability to follow closer, cars will have no issue keeping in tow until they come onto the straight and do an easy overtake.

I believe Hamilton and Mercedes can pull a good strategy to win this race.Tyre deg may be good for them and I think Perez will just not be up to the task to stay ahead, I am expecting mistakes from him and Charles.
Maybe with several safety cars combined with a DNF of top 4. Nothing is impossible, right?

Cassius
Cassius

ringo wrote:

Ah the typical response of a Merc fan.

He was 0.9s up after s2 and setting purple minisectors in s3. It would have been a clear pole.

Everyone had small snaps of oversteer as everyone was searching for grip. Max didn't have any big mistakes and was fast when he needed to be. Actually the biggest was by Lewis who lost a second in s3 in his final lap according to Toto.

I do agree with you that Hamilton will win this race with their superior tyre deg vs Ferrari and Perez who will just not be up to the challenge.

Zynerji

LM10 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 20:55
ringo wrote:

Maybe with several safety cars combined with a DNF of top 4. Nothing is impossible, right?
It would be cool to see a first time winner come from that Scenario. Russell or Norris would be great!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

falonso81 wrote:
Shame for Max but i disagree that it was a monster lap. Charles did not put in a lap at the end and the track was evolving at a very fast rate, so much that anyone of the top 4-5 had a shot at pole if they were the last to cross the line.

Yeah he was up on a lap leclerc did way earlier in the session. Leclerc backed out of his final lap. And Max’s s3 wasnt looking tidy at all. It was mostly the track evolution that made it look like he was that much faster.

Will be interesting tomorrow to see whos got the pace. Doubt max is going to win. Everything so far this weekend points to a bad and controversial weekend for redbull. I expect that to continue tomorrow.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 20:32
Does anyone know anything about what the possible race runs were looking like?
Russell and Sainz in high 1.48s low 1.49s on mediums. Hamilton had a terrible soft tire run (well, it was matched by Alonso). The others didn't have race runs.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cassius wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:01
ringo wrote:

He was 0.9s up after s2 and setting purple minisectors in s3. It would have been a clear pole.

Everyone had small snaps of oversteer as everyone was searching for grip. Max didn't have any big mistakes and was fast when he needed to be. Actually the biggest was by Lewis who lost a second in s3 in his final lap according to Toto.

I do agree with you that Hamilton will win this race with their superior tyre deg vs Ferrari and Perez who will just not be up to the challenge.
Max made several mistakes mate. That is why he had to abort his penultimate lap. Even his final lap had a big oversteer moment in s3. He might still have gotten pole but that was mainly because he was the last man on track on a rapidly evolving track. And even being the last man on track he didnt beat hamiltons s2 time still.

chrisc90

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:08
Cassius wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:01
ringo wrote:

Max made several mistakes mate. That is why he had to abort his penultimate lap. Even his final lap had a big oversteer moment in s3. He might still have gotten pole but that was mainly because he was the last man on track on a rapidly evolving track. And even being the last man on track he didnt beat hamiltons s2 time still.
Max was 0.088 down to lewis in the second sector - hardly earth shattering really. Overall Max was 0.355 faster in S1. So by the same point Max was a smidgen over 0.250 faster than Lewis.

Only reason that Max had to abort his final lap was the risk of being underfuelled by having a extra push lap at the end since there as time. If Max had made 'several mistakes' he was still doing blisteringly well to be up 0.960 on Charles' pole lap effort by the end of S2. Not bad for someone who made several mistakes ey!

Toto always claims Lewis was losing time in the end. He did it at another race not long back where Lewis missed out on pole. Just Toto spouting nonsense like he normally does to try and make his golden boy look better than what he is.

Cassius
Cassius

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:04
falonso81 wrote:

Yeah he was up on a lap leclerc did way earlier in the session. Leclerc backed out of his final lap. And Max’s s3 wasnt looking tidy at all. It was mostly the track evolution that made it look like he was that much faster.

Will be interesting tomorrow to see whos got the pace. Doubt max is going to win. Everything so far this weekend points to a bad and controversial weekend for redbull. I expect that to continue tomorrow.
He was up 2 to 5 tenths after s2 on both his aborted laps on everyone else who was running at that same time. He was fastest and didn't make any major mistakes in those laps unlike others. I don't care if you call it a monster lap or not. The independent fan will see he again would have come out on top in a car that did not seem the fastest this weekend.

PlatinumZealot

organic wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 17:17
https://i.redd.it/4eg32xdjj7r91.jpg

Will he come through the field again? Guaranteed SC/mixed conditions might suggest he has a chance
Okay.. Now.. Tell me. This is supposed to be a "weak" RB18 track and it is at least 6 tenths up once the tyres are in working temperature. Serious prediction here that Max will dominate the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏