2022 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kptaylor

Re: 2022 Haas F1 Team

Well, McLaren are paying RIC's salary for next year with any money given by another team reducing the liability. If Haas gave him $1 then McLaren will pay him to race there.

qatmix

No one wants Schumacher, other than anyone that needs the cash.

I hope there will be something he does this season that gives me hope, but currently he has no future other than being a journeyman in the sport.

JPower

Looks like Schumacher is leaving Ferrari at the end of the season.

The Gio FPs make more sense now.

scuderiafan

While I hope Haas retains Mick, it's definitely not the place for a young driver to grow. Him severing ties with Ferrari is necessary for both parties. They brought him into the sport and gave him a platform, now it's his turn to jump the nest and fly.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Shakeman

Hulkenberg is apparently favourite to take Mick's seat at Haas if you believe Microsoft News. Mick comes across as a very likeable lad and a credit to his parents but had his name been Mick Smith he wouldn't have been anywhere near F1.

diffuser

Shakeman wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 14:22
Hulkenberg is apparently favourite to take Mick's seat at Haas if you believe Microsoft News. Mick comes across as a very likeable lad and a credit to his parents but had his name been Mick Smith he wouldn't have been anywhere near F1.
Not sure where you get that idea from. Mick did win @ F2. That did make him a credable choice for a seat.

basti313

Shakeman wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 14:22
Still I do not see where this should come from:
- Haas has no money or a very bad management. Before we call out Steiner let us concentrate on the money as their problem.
- Schumacher brings 15Mio Euro via 1&1. He costs 1Mio.
- Hulk and Magnussen would be the cheapest driver lineup in F1 with 500kEuro each. But still this is 14.5Mio Euro less budget in the end than Schmuacher/Hulk or Schumacher/Magnussen
- Why is Hulk not in the Alpine seat if anywhere?

Schumacher finished since the summer break constantly in front of Magnussen. Not bad for a paydriver I would say, this is Perez like performance. And this under Steiner...

My bet actually would be:
- They rather sack Magnussen than Schumacher. He has a contract, but a cheap one...so they could put him into the Ferrari simulator.
- They sack Steiner. Although the budget cap and the team sitting in the Ferrari coffee kitchen, the car is nowhere. They completely killed the 2021 season for 2022 and are nowhere. They also have no sponsors and except for a grumpy Steiner there is no other face of the team established. This also lead to killing Schumacher mid season. This is all management errors.
- They bring a sympathetic management team like McLaren started with Seidl, Key, Stella....
Don`t russel the hamster!

Shakeman

In the cost cap era not crashing and writing off most of the car is a prerequisite. Not sure how much of the 15M Euros is left after Mick's prangs.

Ignoring that, his performances are nowhere near the level they need to be. KMag should be being schooled every single race, I'm pretty sure the likes of De Vries, Russell and other quality 'prospects' would have any trouble leading KMag around.

Mick is just very average at this level.

basti313

Shakeman wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 12:34
In the cost cap era not crashing and writing off most of the car is a prerequisite. Not sure how much of the 15M Euros is left after Mick's prangs.
Surely a point, but one should not overestimate this. The most expensive part is the engine. As long as it stays intact, the rest is collateral. RedBull counted the major crashes to 1Mio, maybe 1.5Mio. So it is 3Mio at maximum, still much less than what he brings. And there is of course an allowance for every driver, they need to also count that a KMag looses a front wing every second race for 150kEuro.
Shakeman wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 12:34
Ignoring that, his performances are nowhere near the level they need to be. KMag should be being schooled every single race, I'm pretty sure the likes of De Vries, Russell and other quality 'prospects' would have any trouble leading KMag around.

Mick is just very average at this level.
Maybe true, maybe not. I think it is very hard to judge both of them as there is no good comparison.
Schumacher is driving under immense pressure since the US GP as he did not keep his head down in Italy and US. Before these issues his pace was not worse than KMag in the race. In Monaco they ruined the race by strategy and again he could not just keep his head down. Since then he is driving just to keep the car in one piece. But it is useless to go through every race, as the comparison just lacks. It is telling nothing how he performs against KMag.

Still my argument holds:
- Haas has no money to drop Schumacher.
- Haas has no money or standing to buy a De Vries, Russel or Piastri.
- Haas has no team manager any talent on the level of a De Vries, Russel or Piastri would join.

So my bet is either Schumacher himself finds a nice drive, that he obviously will take, or Steiner and Schumacher will work together also in 2023.
Don`t russel the hamster!

continuum16

Mick's Sunday performances have taken a definite step forward since Baku. Magnussen is quicker on Saturday, and Schumacher is arguably faster on Sunday. If Mick can keep his performance from the second half of the year, now I don't think there should be any rush to replace him. Ricciardo is looking more and more lost, so I think that's one by the wayside.

Anyways, the team's focus should be on finding out why their pace has evaporated. I know they haven't had any updates besides Hungary, but Williams more or less also took the one-upgrade approach and seem to be getting closer to the midfield. Could they have been bitten by TD039? Maybe. Kind of like how Aston got nerfed in 2021, guilty by association.

I think the team has been severely handicapped financially from the Mazepin situation, presumably much more than they are saying. Basically they planned to have more budget for developments etc. than they ended up having. I think 2022 is kind of like 2021 in the sense that they are more or less in a holding pattern for 2023, when they should have a much better picture of their yearly outlook. The only difference is the base car in 2022 is a lot more competitive. Hopefully they can secure more funding, because I don't think a 2018-style performance is impossible for 2023.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Zynerji

Ditch Steiner, and begin fixing the problem.

Easily my "Least Likable" vote for the paddock...🙄

Zynerji

Can we talk of calling for Steiners resignation now? Completely sacrificed 2021 for full 2022 development. They had more allowance than anyone under the regulations, and they are P8 in the championship.

What an utter disaster that he's made of this team and opportunity.😪

Swed3121

Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 18:38
Can we talk of calling for Steiners resignation now? Completely sacrificed 2021 for full 2022 development. They had more allowance than anyone under the regulations, and they are P8 in the championship.

Sorry but that’s not even close to an accurate Assesment.

The 2 teams haas is currently fighting with are AMR and AT, they both have much larger budgets and much better facilities, staff, etc.

You can’t expect a team with the resources of haas or Williams to be on the level of McLaren/alpine , both of those operations have massive budgets (remember things like facilities and staff knowledge are built over decades, and have very little to do with the budget cap)

And as for the wind tunnel allowance, you have to remember that a team like RB may be develop a new wing in X amount of hours, it will take haas twice that as they don’t have the same experienced engineers, and can’t just run over to the manufacturing shop when they want to change something.

Zynerji

Swed3121 wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 20:28
Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 18:38

Sorry but that’s not even close to an accurate Assesment.

The 2 teams haas is currently fighting with are AMR and AT, they both have much larger budgets and much better facilities, staff, etc.

You can’t expect a team with the resources of haas or Williams to be on the level of McLaren/alpine , both of those operations have massive budgets (remember things like facilities and staff knowledge are built over decades, and have very little to do with the budget cap)

And as for the wind tunnel allowance, you have to remember that a team like RB may be develop a new wing in X amount of hours, it will take haas twice that as they don’t have the same experienced engineers, and can’t just run over to the manufacturing shop when they want to change something.
No excuse. None.at all.

#FireSteiner

AR3-GP

They started the season with the 3rd-4th fastest car. They scored no results of note during that time period.