2021 Cost Cap Rumours and Speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Cost Cap Rumours and Speculation

astracrazy wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 09:04
I think a lot of Merc/Lewis fans that believe everything that rolls out of Toto's mouth are going to be disappointed. Especially the ones who think last years championship will be handed to Lewis.
Does anyone think that will happen? At the most, Red Bull would lose their points but the drivers wouldn't - there is precedent for this in 2007, of course, where McLaren had their points removed but the drivers kept theirs. Realistically, the team will be fined.

Going forward, it seems to me that the best approach to overspending is to reduce the allowed budget going forward for any "naughty" team. For example, Team A overspends by $2m, so reduce their budget allowance by $2m for the next 3 years. That would focus the teams on not overspending as it would impact them for more years than they would gain from it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

FIA will release more info in 2hrs

Someone else says within next 2hrs

From the FIA they announce that they will provide information regarding compliance with the budget limit regulations within the next two hours.

GrizzleBoy

I have a feeling this will be an, "announcement of an announcement" type thing and not provide any solid information to anybody on any side.

PlatinumZealot

basti313 wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 08:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 02:13
Come to think of it.... RedBull was always suspiscious in 2021 the amount of developnent they were doing deep into the year!
Less than 1% over budget. Yes, one could see this, very obvious...
I guess it is more that RedBull is always suspicious for some.
tpe wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 06:30

This is completely different.
And it wasn't one team, it was one team that perfected an already exploited area.
When we discussed the cost cap here it was always "wait, what happens if the minor overspend is exploited". Even to the point that you may have to overspend to the minor infringement.
I do not see the teams exploiting it to be at big fault...my opinion was also that you may need to exploit also this grey area. The error is, that
- the penalty is not defined and harsh.
- the cost is not monitored "on the fly".

Now we are 10 months after the season and need to discuss a penalty which spoils the result and is too little for one side and too harsh for the other side.
Wait a second. Isn't this a bit hypocritical? The 1% is rumoured just as much as the 5% or 10% so why were prior reports bashed and this 1% figure held onto as if it has been confirmed, becauze it hasn't...

And as Ross Brawn said in 2019% breaching the rules is Sporting penalty so doesn't matter if 1% or 20% there should be dire consequences to the sporting results!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

johnny comelately

Read somewhere that for some of the American series they put a multiplier on the excess as a penalty and then distribute that to the other teams LOL

Wouter

https://f1i-autojournal-fr.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
Aston Martin more heavily sanctioned than Red Bull?
xpb_1082077_1200px

Verdict of the saga of capped budgets: heavy fine and sanction for Aston Martin while Red Bull Racing would do rather well!

The FIA's financial experts have issued their conclusions (see document below) regarding compliance with the budget ceiling for the 2021 season, even if the said document no longer appears on the Federation's website and an official press release specifies that the data submitted by the teams is still “being finalized…”

So, involuntary leak or fake news?
=================
The Milton Keynes team would therefore have exceeded the ceiling of 145 million only by… 150,000 dollars (instead of the 12 million for which it was accused), which would earn it a minor fine of 25,000 dollars.

On the other hand, Aston Martin would have spent 4 million more than the authorized ceiling and would be fined 100,000 dollars as well as a very heavy double sanction: the withdrawal of 50 points from the constructors' championship for 2021 and 2022, as well as a 10% reduction in wind tunnel study time.

By being demoted to last place in the standings, the British team will also receive less prize money last year as at the end of this season, but it can still appeal.
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

fake?
Last edited by gandharva on 05 Oct 2022, 13:13, edited 2 times in total.

Fake news.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

chrisc90

Yeah, I seen that ‘statement’ and was said to be fake.

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 13:12
Yeah, I seen that ‘statement’ and was said to be fake.
Oké, thanks. Let's just wait and see when the FIA comes with the news.
The Power of Dreams!

basti313

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:32
basti313 wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 08:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 02:13
Come to think of it.... RedBull was always suspiscious in 2021 the amount of developnent they were doing deep into the year!
Less than 1% over budget. Yes, one could see this, very obvious...
I guess it is more that RedBull is always suspicious for some.
tpe wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 06:30

This is completely different.
And it wasn't one team, it was one team that perfected an already exploited area.
When we discussed the cost cap here it was always "wait, what happens if the minor overspend is exploited". Even to the point that you may have to overspend to the minor infringement.
I do not see the teams exploiting it to be at big fault...my opinion was also that you may need to exploit also this grey area. The error is, that
- the penalty is not defined and harsh.
- the cost is not monitored "on the fly".

Now we are 10 months after the season and need to discuss a penalty which spoils the result and is too little for one side and too harsh for the other side.
Wait a second. Isn't this a bit hypocritical? The 1% is rumoured just as much as the 5% or 10% so why were prior reports bashed and this 1% figure held onto as if it has been confirmed, becauze it hasn't...
The accusations like yours are hypocritical. Not only a bit.
By the way, I never heard anything above 5% in rumors. I think it is realistic that they exploited the 5% to check what means "minor". Still there is not anything confirmed.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:32
And as Ross Brawn said in 2019% breaching the rules is Sporting penalty so doesn't matter if 1% or 20% there should be dire consequences to the sporting results!
Then he should have defined the penalty and not just talk bull$hit. Of course it needs to scale with the percentage.
Don`t russel the hamster!

chrisc90

If that’s what brawn’s says will happen then why are there multiple different penalties for a minor and major breach?

Arcanum

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 13:45
If that’s what brawn’s says will happen then why are there multiple different penalties for a minor and major breach?
Most likely to create uncertainty in the mind of the teams, and to provide flexibility depending on the nature of the breach.

Two examples:
1) Two teams on the budget cap limit are in a tight battle at the end of the season, and one team decides to implement two upgrades worth 1.4-million / 1% because the defined penalty for such a breach is worth it to potentially win a constructors placing.
2) A team might just have screwed up and gone over by 1.4-million for less underhand reasons.

I don't think people would want the above examples treated the same for penalties, and therefore some flexibility is needed.

organic

RZS10

There's articles quoting Brawn from 2019 when they announced the budget cap:
So the sanctions for breaching financial regulations will be sporting penalties of some sort, depending on the severity of the breach. [...]

If you fraudulently breach the financial regulations, you will be losing your championship. So it has serious consequences if teams breach these regulations.
fraudulently:
in a way that intends to deceive by doing something dishonest and illegal

The rules have this:
8.15 Examples of aggravating factors include:
(a) any element of bad faith, dishonesty, wilful concealment or fraud;
Now it's obviously hard to tell when you go from "oh soooorry we didn't know any better this is the first year afterall OwO" to trying to deceive the FIA by hiding costs or trying to be too clever.

The intention not to outline how much of a breach will carry which penalty was so that teams wouldn't weigh the penalties vs. the advantage they'd have by spending more.