2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
iRacer

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:15
InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:10
djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:37

Imo he should have gone to Williams for a year in 23.
They don't want him as he is too slow.
The evidence strongly suggests he’s faster than Albon.
Albon would destroy Ricciardo at Williams not dissimilar to how Norris detroyed him at McLaren.

djos

InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:20
djos wrote:
InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:10

They don't want him as he is too slow.
Albon would destroy Ricciardo at Williams not dissimilar to how Norris detroyed him at McLaren.
Considering both drivers have gone up against Max, and only Daniel has won races, bagged poles and out scored Max on points in most seasons. Your claim is not based on fact!
"In downforce we trust"

iRacer

djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:30
InsomniRacer wrote:
djos wrote:

Considering both drivers have gone up against Max, and only Daniel has won races, bagged poles and out scored Max on points in most seasons. Your claim is not based on fact!
<personal stuff removed> The fact NOW is that Ricciardo is so slow he is not wanted in F1 any more. Catch up.

runningmanz

InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:56
djos wrote:
InsomniRacer wrote:

<personal stuff removed> The fact NOW is that Ricciardo is so slow he is not wanted in F1 any more. Catch up.
Still quick enough to give McLaren a win which is the only high point for them in many years.

Let's see where he is in 2024 or for that matter where some of these other young "hotshots" are and if they achieve even half of what Ricciardo has by the age of 33.

Show some respect or go spread your Ricciardo hate on another forum.

runningmanz

MrGapes wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:23
https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/15 ... EaZQjIdrYw

Great shame. Hopefully something works out in 2024
Yeah gutted for him. Just did not click at McLaren. Hope we see him back in 2024. Won't be the same without him on the grid.

mwillems

runningmanz wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:09
InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:56
djos wrote:

Still quick enough to give McLaren a win which is the only high point for them in many years.

Let's see where he is in 2024 or for that matter where some of these other young "hotshots" are and if they achieve even half of what Ricciardo has by the age of 33.

Show some respect or go spread your Ricciardo hate on another forum.

Don't feed the troll.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

I respect Ricciardo for what he managed in the past and I respect you like him as a driver but in Mclaren he was not able to perform. Simple as it is. Nobody wants him at the moment because he is not at the level he used to be. Let's stop the excuses. It's best for him to take a break off F1 for a year and come back stronger in 2024.

Maax70

Let me have a dissonant voice on this (don't kill me please 😉): i really think we should forget RIC. I think this issue mislead also MCL management from the real issue of this season: we have completely missed the '22 aero concept and NOR performace maybe cover it, but the last update finally demonstrate it. Furthermore we take more six months to just "copy" what all other teams did. MCL managemt should focus on aerod. staff and forget RIC (who is clearly half second slower than NOR, but probably like most of the drivers on the grid). I would argue that this is not the anticipation '23 car, this is the car we should have on the grid since last march and now still to "unlock" (NOR words) the performance recovering 6 months of set-up development of a properly fed underfloor venturi. However better later then never....

djos

It’s early days, but the latest update seems to work really well for Daniel. He was frequently faster than Lando in qualifying (by 6/10ths) and only 2/10ths slower when he wasn’t quicker.

It’s just a massive shame Mclaren were so conservative with their initial design as they could have had both drivers scoring good points every weekend a lot earlier.
"In downforce we trust"

SilviuAgo

If the race will have delay start furthemore is not so bad for McLaren. Below 50% from official laps only first 6 will get points: 6 for 1st place, 5 for 2nd and so on. And our gap to Alpine will not be so big, considering how well Alonso and Ocon are now vs Ricci and Lando.

proteus

djos wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 00:26
It’s early days, but the latest update seems to work really well for Daniel. He was frequently faster than Lando in qualifying (by 6/10ths) and only 2/10ths slower when he wasn’t quicker.

It’s just a massive shame Mclaren were so conservative with their initial design as they could have had both drivers scoring good points every weekend a lot earlier.
No matter how conservative they were, Daniel is paid pretty money to compensate and adapt. Lando did it for peanuts in comparison. Daniel sadly woke up too late. And even with that, he is still slower.

I was on Daniels side for more than a half of the season, but their collaboration simply didnt work out. It is better they part their ways.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

geogate

SilviuAgo wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 08:19
If the race will have delay start furthemore is not so bad for McLaren. Below 50% from official laps only first 6 will get points: 6 for 1st place, 5 for 2nd and so on. And our gap to Alpine will not be so big, considering how well Alonso and Ocon are now vs Ricci and Lando.
I think thats up to 25% race distance

djos

proteus wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 08:53
djos wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 00:26

No matter how conservative they were, Daniel is paid pretty money to compensate and adapt. Lando did it for peanuts in comparison. Daniel sadly woke up too late. And even with that, he is still slower.

I was on Daniels side for more than a half of the season, but their collaboration simply didnt work out. It is better they part their ways.
On the flip side, why would you hire an expensive star driver and knowingly give him a car that he can’t extract maximum speed from?

We also have Lando on record as saying he would like the many of the same traits as Daniel. So it’s not like Daniel was the outlier here.
"In downforce we trust"

geogate

this is getting tedious

SilviuAgo

This race is better already than Spa 2021 😄😄