FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shakeman

Re: FIA Thread

Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:36
As we've discussed in a previous thread, it's about the $. If an all-German lineup is possible, and you can measure the success of the all-French Alpine lineup, it may be a better marketing exercise overall.

Toto has spoken about the billions of marketing dollar value out of F1. Some will not care if they finish 9th in the championship. If the initial hype, and the photographs keep circulating, the math may say that is the optimal strategy for ROI. It would be very interesting to see these numbers.
An all French and all German line-up is irrelevant outside of relatively small national car markets which are shrinking markets and the accelerator has just been pressed on the shrinkage.

Zynerji, you wrote the above quote in another thread. You don't appear to be able to keep a consistent train of thought between threads. So you actually think a team who doesn't care whether they finish 9th or not will actively develop they car and add into the IP pool or do you think it's more likely they'll be leeches and minimise their development spend?

You completely ignored my previous post. If the FIA understood the damage photogrammetry could do to top team participation you'd surely understand why your idea is no different.

There's nothing wrong with having an open IP pool for a racing competition but it wouldn't be F1 and it wouldn't attract current F1 teams for the stated reasons.
Shakeman wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 11:22
...maybe think a bit more about why manufacturers want to be associated with F1 as either a works team or supply engines. F1 rules are written with just enough scope for teams to express their development and engineering prowess over other teams, this is why F1 is not a spec series, the FIA understand this. F1 is just as much about what goes on in the labs and garages as it is about racing on track, I'm surprised you hadn't noticed this while reading this forum!

No sportsperson or teams cares about the 'show'. No boxer walks out to the ring hoping he'll be in a 12 round slugfest, he wants it over in the first round. No tennis player walks out hoping for a 5 set thriller, they want the game dead in 3 sets at 6/0. Every F1 team starts the year hoping to lead the pack round by 2 seconds like Merc did at the beginning of the hybrid era. So the very idea that a team investing 200M in a winning car will have to open up their IP to the whole grid is an absurd notion. No team, and more importantly, no boardroom is going to sanction that. F1 would cease to exist as teams would simply join another racing series which did allow them to demonstrate their engineering prowess and retain their IP which they have invested heavily in. When Merc was leading and lapping the field and publicly saying they hoped others would catch up, privately they would've been thinking the diametric opposite as a multi-year winning streak would've done almost incalculable benefit to the Mercedes brand. This is why teams compete and are prepared to invest such huge sums.

There is a reason why the FIA came down heavily on photogrammetry and laser scanning plagiarism as a means of drastically reducing development costs because they understood this would drive the top teams out of the sport and F1 would no longer be the pinnacle of motorsport, how could it be? There would be no reason to invest millions into the sport when a competitor can get close to your performance with a 100MP camera and a copy of Reality Capture. If you can understand this then surely you understand why your scheme is a non-starter?

Zynerji

Shakeman wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 15:08
Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:36
As we've discussed in a previous thread, it's about the $. If an all-German lineup is possible, and you can measure the success of the all-French Alpine lineup, it may be a better marketing exercise overall.

Toto has spoken about the billions of marketing dollar value out of F1. Some will not care if they finish 9th in the championship. If the initial hype, and the photographs keep circulating, the math may say that is the optimal strategy for ROI. It would be very interesting to see these numbers.
An all French and all German line-up is irrelevant outside of relatively small national car markets which are shrinking markets and the accelerator has just been pressed on the shrinkage.

Zynerji, you wrote the above quote in another thread. You don't appear to be able to keep a consistent train of thought between threads. So you actually think a team who doesn't care whether they finish 9th or not will actively develop they car and add into the IP pool or do you think it's more likely they'll be leeches and minimise their development spend?

You completely ignored my previous post. If the FIA understood the damage photogrammetry could do to top team participation you'd surely understand why your idea is no different.

There's nothing wrong with having an open IP pool for a racing competition but it wouldn't be F1 and it wouldn't attract current F1 teams for the stated reasons.
Shakeman wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 11:22
...maybe think a bit more about why manufacturers want to be associated with F1 as either a works team or supply engines. F1 rules are written with just enough scope for teams to express their development and engineering prowess over other teams, this is why F1 is not a spec series, the FIA understand this. F1 is just as much about what goes on in the labs and garages as it is about racing on track, I'm surprised you hadn't noticed this while reading this forum!

No sportsperson or teams cares about the 'show'. No boxer walks out to the ring hoping he'll be in a 12 round slugfest, he wants it over in the first round. No tennis player walks out hoping for a 5 set thriller, they want the game dead in 3 sets at 6/0. Every F1 team starts the year hoping to lead the pack round by 2 seconds like Merc did at the beginning of the hybrid era. So the very idea that a team investing 200M in a winning car will have to open up their IP to the whole grid is an absurd notion. No team, and more importantly, no boardroom is going to sanction that. F1 would cease to exist as teams would simply join another racing series which did allow them to demonstrate their engineering prowess and retain their IP which they have invested heavily in. When Merc was leading and lapping the field and publicly saying they hoped others would catch up, privately they would've been thinking the diametric opposite as a multi-year winning streak would've done almost incalculable benefit to the Mercedes brand. This is why teams compete and are prepared to invest such huge sums.

There is a reason why the FIA came down heavily on photogrammetry and laser scanning plagiarism as a means of drastically reducing development costs because they understood this would drive the top teams out of the sport and F1 would no longer be the pinnacle of motorsport, how could it be? There would be no reason to invest millions into the sport when a competitor can get close to your performance with a 100MP camera and a copy of Reality Capture. If you can understand this then surely you understand why your scheme is a non-starter?
I get that you don't understand the full-self balance of the system. I'm thinking of building a mind-map to lay out the metrics involved, but it's hard to balance work/life already with a wife and 4 teen-aged daughters!

johnny comelately

The FIA is functioning as an archaic dinosaur with no effective oversight, checks or balances.
It is not fit for purpose.

Zynerji

Here it comes, folks!

https://cointelegraph.com/news/formula- ... -metaverse

It's almost like they are setting things up exactly as I proposed. 😏 Layer 2 to eventually include software.
Last edited by Zynerji on 13 Oct 2022, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

Shakeman wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 11:29
Save your valuable time, I fully understand your 'proposal'.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDx5W_oXkAA ... name=small
Same energy...
🙄

I get paid very well for that work. My apologies for not making time to provide it to you for free.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 20:15
Here it comes, folks!

It's almost like they are setting things up exactly as I proposed. 😏 Layer 2 to eventually include software.
lol, don't hold your breath. They trademarked stuff so no one else could use their name in their products. Nothing technical there.

Good chance they also have trademarked "F1 Tabac", "F1 Oil", "F1 power drink", etc etc.

they might do a small series of NFT's which will go unsold because somehow everybody hates progress in F1.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 23:08
Zynerji wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 20:15
Here it comes, folks!

lol, don't hold your breath. They trademarked stuff so no one else could use their name in their products. Nothing technical there.

Good chance they also have trademarked "F1 Tabac", "F1 Oil", "F1 power drink", etc etc.

they might do a small series of NFT's which will go unsold because somehow everybody hates progress in F1.
The press release specifically mentions Mining. That tells me they are going private chain. After that, all doors open.

They wouldn't mine just for trademarks or NFTs.

200iq would be to use the PoW consensus as there are now millions of high-speed chips in the wild that no longer work for PoS mining.

basti313

I am surprised by the current race director sacking.
For Japan they sacked the first one. Now in the US they basically changed the race result, because the RD did not apply necessary flags???

What is their target? Is Mickey coming back?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Zynerji

basti313 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 01:23
For Japan they sacked the first one. Now in the US they basically changed the race result, because the RD did not apply necessary flags???

It's time for 4k camera and AI algorithms to police the sport. We have the tech. And no one can argue.

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 01:26
basti313 wrote:

It's time for 4k camera and AI algorithms to police the sport. We have the tech. And no one can argue.
what they need is any one with common sense, that isn't afraid to enforce the rules.
197 104 103 7

mendis

Zynerji wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I agree. Most sports need to evolve faster in adoption of technology and removing human error element.

Stu

Zynerji wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I agree, track limits is as easy as jump starts to police with AI (such tech could also be used to auto trigger yellow flags, etc).
But….
I wouldn’t trust the FIA to come up with a testable AI system, they are too knee-jerk, on-the-hoof, which-way-is-the-wind-blowing, etc, etc, to be consistent at anything.
On the other hand…
Fans will always find bias when a decision goes against ‘their’ team, even AI would be subject to such accusations!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

johnny comelately

Stu wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 08:05
Zynerji wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I agree, track limits is as easy as jump starts to police with AI (such tech could also be used to auto trigger yellow flags, etc).
But….
I wouldn’t trust the FIA to come up with a testable AI system, they are too knee-jerk, on-the-hoof, which-way-is-the-wind-blowing, etc, etc, to be consistent at anything.
On the other hand…
Fans will always find bias when a decision goes against ‘their’ team, even AI would be subject to such accusations!
The AI would be hacked...
conspiracy theory number 1a :wink:

MadMax

mendis wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 03:40
Zynerji wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I agree. Most sports need to evolve faster in adoption of technology and removing human error element.
Anything designed and made by humans, even AI, will have human failings baked in to it. Humans can't make perfect systems.

mendis

MadMax wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 10:48
mendis wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 03:40
Zynerji wrote:

Anything designed and made by humans, even AI, will have human failings baked in to it. Humans can't make perfect systems.
And yet, the world is running on human built systems! What's more, we have even reached Mars with such imperfect systems!