How much text to people read?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
mendis

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sorry to ask an offtopic question. How many people here read more than 3 or 4 lines if a post is written like a blog post? Personally, i would skip the whole stuff if it visually looks like more than 5 lines.

dxpetrov

mendis wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 09:08
Sorry to ask an offtopic question. How many people here read more than 3 or 4 lines if a post is written like a blog post? Personally, i would skip the whole stuff if it visually looks like more than 5 lines.
Absolutely. No patience at all to read through the novels...

hollus

dxpetrov wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 12:55
mendis wrote:
If 5 lines is too much, it gets quite difficult to have any sort of deep discussion. Details often need an introduction, then caveats.
5 lines is 3 tweets, less in a phone. Do we really want a twitter level discussion here? I know I don't, but that is just me. The best posts, in my eyes, almost always are medium long. No need for a novel every time, but if you are discarding longer posts, you are likely missing out.
Maybe skim-reading a long post before reading with focus if needed is a thing from the older generations?

Anyways, my opinion, on line 7 of my posting window, and the last I say about it in this topic as it is off topic: A deep and informative discussion does not fit into 5 line posts. If you want to invest little time, you might get little insight.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

How much text do people read?

Split from the Red Bull team thread. This is a better place to continue.
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

Re: How much text to people read?

It very much depends on the subject and the poster, and to no small amount on the formatting and punctuation.

I usually try to read everything, but will admit to sometimes feeling' swamped' and skim reading

On a similar track, is there a way to exclude some threads from the unread posts notification? Not because I dislike anyone, just some I have no interest in
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mendis

hollus wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 13:08
dxpetrov wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 12:55
mendis wrote:
If 5 lines is too much, it gets quite difficult to have any sort of deep discussion. Details often need an introduction, then caveats.
5 lines is 3 tweets, less in a phone. Do we really want a twitter level discussion here? I know I don't, but that is just me. The best posts, in my eyes, almost always are medium long. No need for a novel every time, but if you are discarding longer posts, you are likely missing out.
Maybe skim-reading a long post before reading with focus if needed is a thing from the older generations?

Anyways, my opinion, on line 7 of my posting window, and the last I say about it in this topic as it is off topic: A deep and informative discussion does not fit into 5 line posts. If you want to invest little time, you might get little insight.
Different people have different span of attention. I usually like podcasts as I can listen to them while driving. Even the articles online, I skip through the commentary of the writer and look for the actual quotes of people, which is the basis for the article. In the technical threads here, which is the home of nerds, you can read through the posts where they explain stuff. IMHO having spent a certain time on this site, we know who is who and what to expect and that forms the basis for span of attention I guess.

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 14:52

On a similar track, is there a way to exclude some threads from the unread posts notification?
Not because I dislike anyone, just some I have no interest in
You can choose "Active Topics". Problem solved. :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 15:07
Big Tea wrote:

On a similar track, is there a way to exclude some threads from the unread posts notification?
No, that only gives 'Active topics' not those I want. It does not allow me to chose which I am choosing to read, but those 'being read'

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 15:51
Wouter wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

No, that only gives 'Active topics' not those I want. It does not allow me to chose which I am choosing to read, but those 'being read'
Oh, then I misunderstood you.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 15:57
Big Tea wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 15:51
Wouter wrote:

Oh, then I misunderstood you.
Thanks anyway.

For example, right now I have 3 topics up, say one of which I do not want updates on = Is the RB18 dominant, but I want all others unless I add (remove) another. (picked that one at random)

Greg Locock

If it is a technical thread (which is not often, this being F1 Technical) then I'll read in length proportional to the perceived wisdom of the poster. If it's just one of the usual suspects I'll read until the first ridiculous statement and then either answer or skip it.

organic

Depends on the thread and the user that has made the post.

In the threads I frequent, I'll read fully anything from regular contributors and other well put-together comments

Depends how long it's been since I visited the forum too. If there's a few pages I've missed there's no way I'm reading the backlog

Just_a_fan

mendis wrote:
I guess you've never read a book then. Or did it just take you a very long time?

4 lines. Walk away.

Come back. 4 more lines. Walk away

Etc.

:lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

johnny comelately

Videos are handy then

Zynerji

It depends on the poster, and the content of which they speak.

Actually, there are hundreds of threads that I don't even open, but I read everything in the threads that I'm interested in.