2026 active aero discussions

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
NL_Fer

Re: 2026 active aero discussions

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 00:56
NL_Fer wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 21:42
Keep it simple stupid, allow the DRS free for any driver to use on the straights. Built the cars in such a way, they don’t need and overtaking aid anymore.
The problem is that the balance changes too much with rear DRS making it dangerous for the driver to have free control of it. It would have to work over both axles to maintain car balance. Do you think that it's safe for a driver to use rear wing DRS to pass on the outside of Parabolica, or Stowe or 130R?
No I meant free, like independent of there is a car in front. But only in the pre-determaint DRS zones.

Zynerji

NL_Fer wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 22:38
godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 00:56
NL_Fer wrote:
Keep it simple stupid, allow the DRS free for any driver to use on the straights. Built the cars in such a way, they don’t need and overtaking aid anymore.
The problem is that the balance changes too much with rear DRS making it dangerous for the driver to have free control of it. It would have to work over both axles to maintain car balance. Do you think that it's safe for a driver to use rear wing DRS to pass on the outside of Parabolica, or Stowe or 130R?
No I meant free, like independent of there is a car in front. But only in the pre-determaint DRS zones.
I'd rather see 2011 quali rules for DRS. Whoever had the nuts could use it anywhere. It was the truest fun thing to watch in all of my F1 years...

johnny comelately

Movable aero devices, inversality, wing tip vortices, Albatross wings, gate fees and sexiness...what more could you aero guys ask for.
Me, I would rather eat sand except for the basics but this was instructive

Guessing at the right thread...

johnny comelately

The latest Mercedes AMG GTR has a movable thingamajig under the car which produces ground effect !

BassVirolla

NL_Fer wrote:
More than a Drag Reduction System, I think in a Downforce Increasing System.

Wings always open while under full throttle (or over certain %). Closed wings while lifting or braking, to allow to increase rear MGUK recovery.

Apply throttle with consciousness of the fact that the downforce will drastically reduce exactly when you demand full power.

wuzak

BassVirolla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 23:58
NL_Fer wrote:

Wings always open while under full throttle (or over certain %). Closed wings while lifting or braking, to allow to increase rear MGUK recovery.

Apply throttle with consciousness of the fact that the downforce will drastically reduce exactly when you demand full power.
Definitely the active aero will be aimed at reducing drag on the straights, not increasing downforce for corners.

The 2026 power units will, potentially, have half the power of the current PU's by mid-straight. They will need a lot less drag to keep the speeds up to get the lap times down.

It seems that the 2026 chassis rules will be a more extreme version of the 2014 rules, which aimed to reduce cornering speeds but increase straight line speeds to maintain lap times.

The fans loved that so much that the cars became wider, got bigger tyres, more downforce (and drag) from 2017.

Zynerji

There is no need for active aero. DRS is more than enough.

Who is going to be blamed when a failure happens causing the wing not to close, and a driver pays with their life?

wuzak

And one of the aims for the 2026 cars was t make them lighter.

What chance of that with active devices all over the car? Considering, also, that the 2026 PU is no lighter than the current PU.

Zynerji

The more I see what this is turning out to be, the more I believe it may be time for me to call a cap on F1 at the end of 2025...

There are so many easy ways to fix this, and as usual it gets overcomplicated to the point that the original concept is forgotten.😪

Big Tea

BassVirolla wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

What about when they give it a footfull out of a corner, maybe uphill? A sudden loss of DF while still relying on it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BassVirolla

Big Tea wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 12:27
BassVirolla wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

What about when they give it a footfull out of a corner, maybe uphill? A sudden loss of DF while still relying on it?
That's what I call skills. :wink:

The exits of corners could make a good differentiator, facilitating the ovetakes.

BassVirolla

wuzak wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:39
BassVirolla wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

Definitely the active aero will be aimed at reducing drag on the straights, not increasing downforce for corners.

The 2026 power units will, potentially, have half the power of the current PU's by mid-straight. They will need a lot less drag to keep the speeds up to get the lap times down.

It seems that the 2026 chassis rules will be a more extreme version of the 2014 rules, which aimed to reduce cornering speeds but increase straight line speeds to maintain lap times.

The fans loved that so much that the cars became wider, got bigger tyres, more downforce (and drag) from 2017.

Increase or reduce, only depends on which setting is over 50% of the time, I suppose. A referencing matter. :wink:

wuzak

Is there any more information about the 2026 aero and chassis rules?

mzso

wuzak wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 08:06
Is there any more information about the 2026 aero and chassis rules?
Is there any reason to think anything will be different? Right now they pretend, that the new formula is a raring success.

Vanja #66

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-e ... /10422856/

Active aero for downforce increase while following. Sounds good, should be simple to recalculate and determine how and when to add it.

As log as they stick to downsizing the cars a bit, it will be very good.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie