W Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
V12-POWER

Re: W Series

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 13:02
V12-POWER wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:35

Exactly, women are as fast as men. That’s why Tatiana Calderon was like 9 seconds off the pace in an F1 car, was an F2 backmarker and so on

The W series is a good concept. Give them a chance to shine
Plenty of men would be 9 seconds or more off the pace too. Taking an individual and then judging half of the human race based on that one individual is a touch narrow-minded. The equivalent of saying you're a mass murderer because Stalin was.
Yeah but we’re talking about Racing drivers, not ordinary individuals. any F2 driver will be within 4 or 5 seconds easily.

you can see it happening in karting man cmon...ladies just get whooped

I’m not saying men are superior, but the W series is actually a good idea. you can even make a woman F1 with woman feeder series then everyone’s happy and we end this men vs women crap

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 13:02
V12-POWER wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:35

Exactly, women are as fast as men. That’s why Tatiana Calderon was like 9 seconds off the pace in an F1 car, was an F2 backmarker and so on

The W series is a good concept. Give them a chance to shine
Plenty of men would be 9 seconds or more off the pace too. Taking an individual and then judging half of the human race based on that one individual is a touch narrow-minded. The equivalent of saying you're a mass murderer because Stalin was.
The ONLY things we can judge are those that are done on record.

If its a real 9 sec in the same car, that is awful.

When was the last time a female did FP1? I wonder if that is because of these time expectations. 🤔

They should bring some 2013 cars out as a third car, and have the teams run a W driver as pre-race hype. Loud and sustainable fuel!

Tommy Cookers

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 13:13
... Women have as good tolerance to aircraft g loadings as men and in some cases higher.
... As to seats etc
... being shorter can help with g tolerance too - less distance for the heart to pump blood up against the g load.
yes conventional 'wisdom' says short stature helps ....
but now I don't accept the reasoning given (though 5' 5" and 8g-capable) because ....
the short person will actually sit with head and feet at the same heights as will the tall person

seats were inflight handily height-adjustable eg for raising on landing hood-open
(firm) cushions were available to fit the short
the seat is always fixed fore-and-aft and the pedals always adjustable fore-and-aft but not height-adjustable
(except in non-sporty light aircraft where the seat moves fore-and-aft like a car's and the pedals are fixed)
sporty ie aerobatic aircraft seem to have seat and pedals fixed (and rely on cushions)

Just_a_fan

I have no idea what you're saying.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 15:19
wesley123 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 11:39
Zynerji wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 01:17

Yes. Virtue signaling in this manner is even worse.🙄
I'm sorry, but how does giving women, who are underrepresented in the sport, a platform make it even worse?
What value does it have to the audience?

If it had actual marketable value, it simply wouldn't require subsidies.
A huge amount of things require subsidies. This does not mean it should not exist, it simply is aimed to make sure something goes in a certain direction. So in the case of W Series, subsidies are very important.
I would LOVE the chance to work for The W. I am married with 4 daughters. This would be a passion for me. My house is all about girl-power.

Sadly, this series is not. It's not about girl-power at all when the boys have to pay for it just to exist. 😪

It's never been a boot strap. It's always just been an inexpensive appeasement to the media to shut them up about no female drivers in F1.

And that belittles every lady involved.🤬
The issue here is that a series that is aimed to give women a platform to battle sexism is essentially now failing because of sexism. There's something very, very ironic about the 'failure' of the W series.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 22:06
Zynerji wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 15:19
wesley123 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 11:39

I'm sorry, but how does giving women, who are underrepresented in the sport, a platform make it even worse?
What value does it have to the audience?

If it had actual marketable value, it simply wouldn't require subsidies.
A huge amount of things require subsidies. This does not mean it should not exist, it simply is aimed to make sure something goes in a certain direction. So in the case of W Series, subsidies are very important.
I would LOVE the chance to work for The W. I am married with 4 daughters. This would be a passion for me. My house is all about girl-power.

Sadly, this series is not. It's not about girl-power at all when the boys have to pay for it just to exist. 😪

It's never been a boot strap. It's always just been an inexpensive appeasement to the media to shut them up about no female drivers in F1.

And that belittles every lady involved.🤬
The issue here is that a series that is aimed to give women a platform to battle sexism is essentially now failing because of sexism. There's something very, very ironic about the 'failure' of the W series.
Subsidies are not needed for anything but virtue signals, as anything that actually has real value and is desirable in the market will pay for itself. There are zero "good reasons" to pretend that subsidies are good in any situation. That single manipulative device of the capitalistic system is why many people (wrongly) dislike capitalism itself.

Add that to the fact that they drive spec cars made for training kids. That is just a slap in the face. If the W was trying to prove that girl-racers can compete at the top level, they should have furnished top level cars.

Any 2018 F1 car (halo) with a less expensive V8 could have shown their credibility. Unfortunately, they saved as much money on this obvious failure as was possible.

Zynerji

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1015067/1 ... eries-2023

An idea so terrible, they doubled it!

Who is in charge of this nonsense?!🤯🤯🤯

A13EX_f

I can't see the point of the W series it's not achieved its aim of getting a woman into F1. It's not even been able to get the 3-time champion into F2!

Wouldn't the money be better spent to field an all-female F2 team and allow those women to show their skills to a more representative audience and potentially from there move into other teams?

Zynerji

A13EX_f wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 14:36
I can't see the point of the W series it's not achieved its aim of getting a woman into F1. It's not even been able to get the 3-time champion into F2!

Wouldn't the money be better spent to field an all-female F2 team and allow those women to show their skills to a more representative audience and potentially from there move into other teams?
I mean, if they are trying to give a platform to showcase talent, get them out of F4/F3 cars!

Maybe get Dallara/HAAS to build 2018 HAAS cars, ask Cosworth for 600HP v8's (not the 2013 engines, something a bit less expensive and high strung).

Then we can see how the drivers perform with top level machinery.

THAT is a showcase! Not trainer cars meant for kids.

gshevlin

I do not understand the complaints about "subsidies". No start-up business is instantly profitable. The Formula E series started in 2014 and did not show a profit until 2019. Now, that series was completely stand-alone, but the idea that WSeries should already be profitable, especially when its second season (2020) was wiped out by Covid-19, is totally unrealistic.
The reality is that motor racing has a terrible track record of promoting female drivers, and it's ability to properly value women in other motor sports disciplines is also not stellar. A distinct air of tokenism hangs over the sport. When teams say excitedly "look! we have a female engineer!", as if they are patting themselves on the back in public, I know I am watching an industry that still has a long way to go.

Zynerji

gshevlin wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 04:04
I do not understand the complaints about "subsidies". No start-up business is instantly profitable. The Formula E series started in 2014 and did not show a profit until 2019. Now, that series was completely stand-alone, but the idea that WSeries should already be profitable, especially when its second season (2020) was wiped out by Covid-19, is totally unrealistic.
The reality is that motor racing has a terrible track record of promoting female drivers, and it's ability to properly value women in other motor sports disciplines is also not stellar. A distinct air of tokenism hangs over the sport. When teams say excitedly "look! we have a female engineer!", as if they are patting themselves on the back in public, I know I am watching an industry that still has a long way to go.
Meritocracy doesn't care about age, sex or color.

Only the people that don't understand Meritocracy do.

Subsidies are different than investments. Formula E is awful to watch. Gimmicks and such have no real place in racing. It is slow, spec, and unexciting.

Build a series people want to watch first. The rest will take care of itself.

I'm so glad that my daughters are self empowering. It would destroy me to watch them fall into being the tokens that are used as a shield against the woke, no matter who is subsidizing it for credibility instead of substance.

hollus

At the risk of drifting into what I could call politics, the so called meritocracy cares a lot about cultural and socioeconomic background. And so, in the last 10-15 years, the F1 circus has been blessed with names such as Senna, Piquet, Versatappen, Sainz, Schumacher, Rosberg. Also Strolls or Latifis for (partially) different reasons.

Maybe sex, age or color don't matter, but origins and networks sure do.
Rivals, not enemies.

aMessageToCharlie

hollus wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 11:07
At the risk of drifting into what I could call politics, the so called meritocracy cares a lot about cultural and socioeconomic background. And so, in the last 10-15 years, the F1 circus has been blessed with names such as Senna, Piquet, Versatappen, Sainz, Schumacher, Rosberg. Also Strolls or Latifis for (partially) different reasons.

Maybe sex, age or color don't matter, but origins and networks sure do.
That's not a contradiction IMO as marketing value has always been part of the package / merit.

FW17

F2 will make sure new 2024 car “is not going to be an issue for female drivers”

W Series champion Jamie Chadwick has voiced concerns about the physicality of high-level single-seater cars and found it difficult to use a standard steering rack in Formula Regional whenever W Series’ lighter one was not in place, to the point where it had “scared me off ever struggling physically in a car”.
https://www.racefans.net/2022/12/01/for ... rs-better/

wogx

W Series: All-female racing category enters administration following early end to 2022 season

W Series has gone into administration following the early curtailment of the all-female motorsport category's 2022 season.

The future of the competition, which debuted in 2019, had been in doubt since the final two rounds of the 2022 campaign were cancelled due to financial reasons.

No announcement followed regarding a 2023 calendar, while the creation of F1 Academy, another all-female category, created further uncertainty over whether W Series would return.

It has now been confirmed that on Wednesday, Kevin Ley and Henry Shinners of Evelyn Partners LLP were appointed joint administrators.

The administrators revealed that the one member of staff who remained employed by the company has now been made redundant, and promised to "explore all available options to allow the W Series to restart in the future."

"The news will be upsetting for the company's employees and drivers together with the worldwide supporters of the championship," Ley said.

"The company had been unable to commit to the 2023 race season due to its liquidity position.

"The directors had been in discussions with various parties to provide additional funding together with a potential sale of the business.

"Unfortunately, these discussions did not progress."

Shinners added: "The joint administrators will explore all available options to allow the W Series to restart in the future."
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... 022-season
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.