2022 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TimW
TimW

Re: 2022 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 21 - 23

F1NAC wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 08:32
Didn’t notice that. Also that 5 s penalty for crashing someone out of the race is a joke.

All around, race direction was awful
I actually felt it was quite harsh to penalize that, compared to what is normally waived under first lap leniency.

Sainz tried to switch back behind Verstappen, taking a very different line. He was perfectly entitled to do so, but it's not the smartest move with the entire field charging at you. If Sainz had taken a normal line, Russell's line may have been OK. So therefore I expected the stewards to let is pass without penalty as a first lap incident.

AeroDynamic

Sainz was definitely a culprit in his demise there. Trying to cutback with a bunch of cars right behind you at the beginning of a race was asking for trouble. He was a bit unlucky that he had to slow down because Max had slowed a little as well.

Russell did make a mistake though and out braked himself. Given its Lap 1 and I don't think all the fault was with Russell, I think the penalty was sort of balanced. Maybe 10 seconds would have been balanced decision too.

Mogster

Sainz changed direction abruptly. From the onboard theres loads of left hand down. Russell was all locked up though, 5 secs feels about right.

dodds_turbo

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:23
It is possible to get F1tv in the UK.
Unlikely anytime soon, just recently F1 Extended SKY Broadcast deal until 2029! :o

chrisc90

dodds_turbo wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:01
chrisc90 wrote:
Unlikely anytime soon, just recently F1 Extended SKY Broadcast deal until 2029! :o
I’ll PM you later on how

MadMax
MadMax

chrisc90 wrote:
maxxer wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:19
chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:11

Agree. Since switching to F1TV, you realise just how bad the Sky commentary actually is.

Was a superb race, would have been a bit better without the safety cars though IMHO.
Yes it is the commentary is annoying, Max closed the gap and overtook , but what else was to be expected it is just a better car and driver.
But on sky they keep making drama about everything and since they have the rights they haved ruined races
Not legally. You have to pretend to be from the US or some other place not covered by Sky's licence.

search

AeroDynamic wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:50
Russell did make a mistake though and out braked himself. Given its Lap 1 and I don't think all the fault was with Russell, I think the penalty was sort of balanced. Maybe 10 seconds would have been balanced decision too.
I'm still not really sure he caused the spun. He would have hit Sainz anyway (and therefor caused the damage, justifying the penalty), but from Hamilton's onboard, to me it looks like he was the one who turned Sainz around

(didn't find a better video, unfortunately)
Last edited by search on 24 Oct 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

MadMax
MadMax

AeroDynamic wrote:
Sainz was definitely a culprit in his demise there. Trying to cutback with a bunch of cars right behind you at the beginning of a race was asking for trouble. He was a bit unlucky that he had to slow down because Max had slowed a little as well.

I think Russell locked his inside wheel which will have worked against him in any consideration. As soon as you lock up, the stewards see a driver not in control and think "dive bomb". Penalty almost always follows in that situation.

Zhouvinazzi
Zhouvinazzi

search wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:14
AeroDynamic wrote:
I'm still not really sure he caused the spun. He may have hit Sainz anyway (and therefor caused the damage, justifying the penalty), but from Hamilton's onboard, to me it looks like he was the one who turned Sainz around

Clearly he's well behind Sainz in this video. The off-screen contact by Russell just happens at the same time as Ham's front left passes Sainz rear right from the perspective of the onboard camera, with clearly plenty of space to spare.

MadMax
MadMax

search wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
I'm still not really sure he caused the spun. He may have hit Sainz anyway (and therefor caused the damage, justifying the penalty), but from Hamilton's onboard, to me it looks like he was the one who turned Sainz around

Russell spun Sainz, Hamilton's touch (if there actually was one there, and it's not clear) wouldn't have been enough to spin the Ferrari like it did. A wobble, perhaps, but no more.

I guess CJD on twitter isn't a Hamilton fan! :lol:

LM10
LM10

search wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
I'm still not really sure he caused the spun. He would have hit Sainz anyway (and therefor caused the damage, justifying the penalty), but from Hamilton's onboard, to me it looks like he was the one who turned Sainz around

Don't forget that there is the front wing. Even though it looks like front tyre of Hamilton hitting Sainz, that's not possible from this angle. Hamilton would have had severe front wing damage.

search

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 01:05
I have never felt so vulnerable as a HAM supporter before.... The RedBull top speed was a given, but I knew it was over once Max's medium tyres were holding on.
in the end, Mercedes kept the wrong kind of tyres for the race. On mediums, I think Hamilton would have been able to win.

I also don't understand why they didn't try to do a one-stopper with Russell, to be honest. He basically had nothing to lose, and if Magnussen could make it work on mediums, Russell surely could have finished this on his first set of hards as well.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

So let me get this straight.

Perez, Russell, Alonso should have been waved the black & orange flag for loose parts. I agree here.

They should all have been waved the flag because KMag, more than once, has been waved this flag for similar reasons, clear precedent here. I agree.

Race Direction decides to wave NO flag at all and let the race go on.

Penalises Alonso harshly AFTER the race for the loose part.

DOES NOT penalise Perez, Russell for the same reason.

???

“These late changes of direction on the straight are going to kill someone. FIA, time to sort this behaviour out once and for all. It has bled down to the junior formula too.”

He’s wrong - it’s bled up from the junior formula. They should’ve knocked it on its head when it first appeared, instead the FIA pandered; now here we are - sh1tshow
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

organic

Can't believe they haven't penalised stroll more severely