Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
MadMax

Wow, mods are one sided

So Red Bull are found to have breached the budget cap a.k.a. cheated, and the mods have dived in to protect the team's integrity.

That they have also taken action against individuals is evidence that historic threads complaining of mod bias are likely correct.

I've followed this form for years, although only recently become active, and thought the complaints I read were spurious. Turns out I was wrong.

Wow, such a shame. Great forum otherwise.

west52keep64

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

Yeah it's a real shame. Many of the posts that cited factual information with screenshots and links to the relevant documents have been deleted, but the posts with nonsense like below are still there.

Now go and cry into the sand RB haters
On the face of it, does seem to be an attempt to delete evidence that demonstrates the facts.

hollus

Mods delete posts that are personal, as simple as that.
If your post was about things, it probably stands, no matter the color.
If your posts was an attack on other posters, or tainting and teasing, or repetitively inflammatory, it is probably gone, and if not it should be. Red or blue or green or papaya.
If your post contained both types at the same time, it is probably gone. We yield a hammer, not a scalpel (the scalpel takes a life time to use).
Omit the personal stuff, and posts tend to stay.
Rivals, not enemies.

west52keep64

I can point to two examples in that thread where you haven't applied those rules. In fact I have pointed you to them, numerous times, and you've ignored them.

To extend your analogy, someone started it by drawing blood. You came in and took the weapons from one side, but you left the original instigator armed. Now you've re-opened the thread, what do you think will happen? You think people won't defend themselves again?
Last edited by west52keep64 on 29 Oct 2022, 02:13, edited 2 times in total.

hollus

We can be imperfect. Especially while browsing thousands on posts. Guilty as charged.
Go personal once, and you might get lucky. Or not.
Go personal again and again, and it will get noticed.
Getting most things mostly right most of the time is as much as I consider it sustainable to aim for as a mod.
Rivals, not enemies.

mrluke

hollus wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 02:06
We can be imperfect. Especially while browsing thousands on posts. Guilty as charged.
Go personal once, and you might get lucky. Or not.
Go personal again and again, and it will get noticed.
Getting most things mostly right most of the time is as much as I consider it sustainable to aim for as a mod.
Pretty reasonable response tbh and i'm surprised to see this thread open.

Mods do a good job on here, I dont envy them, there's not many forums that are still active and popular let alone with such great content.

Keep it up :)

dans79

hollus wrote:
hollus wrote:
words to live by
197 104 103 7

mendis

If people can practice restraint, things would be easy on the forum. In an age of Social Media, people are evolving in to bitter beings. There are platforms to throw frustration and hate and feel encouraged by the like minded, approving and applauding it. It's no different here. People hammer down an opinion by posting it repeatedly, nauseating repeat, despite the differing side refusing to change their stance. It's a socially and psychologically unhealthy behavior and obviously leads to harmful exchanges and there is little mods can do. I am sure both sides feel mods are one sided. :)

johnny comelately

mendis wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 05:29
If people can practice restraint, things would be easy on the forum. In an age of Social Media, people are evolving in to bitter beings. There are platforms to throw frustration and hate and feel encouraged by the like minded, approving and applauding it. It's no different here. People hammer down an opinion by posting it repeatedly, nauseating repeat, despite the differing side refusing to change their stance. It's a socially and psychologically unhealthy behavior and obviously leads to harmful exchanges and there is little mods can do. I am sure both sides feel mods are one sided. :)
well said (in lieu of an upvote thingy)

Stu

I’d just like to reinforce what @hollus posted up-thread.

In days when thousands of posts are made during a very heated debate (such as this, or AD21), it is quite easy to miss a single post that is personal, unsubstantiated, unjustified, opinion or trolling; however when you spot the ‘dog with a bone’ it becomes very noticeable.
One is easy to moderate, but time-consuming - delete, delete, delete, delete, “what, again!?” delete, warning….
The other is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (and at this point I would like to thank those that report posts, rather than react).
Some posters have a history for particular patterns of behaviour, some get bans because of it (and then frequently turn up with a new name…); some posters seem to disappear, but stay in the shadows - reappearing when there is something to get their teeth into.

As a mod I have gotten used to being called biased, but remember commenting to the other members of the mod team, with some pride, that I had achieved true mod status when in a single day I was accused of bias by supporters of 4 separate teams.

I try to do a good job, but acknowledge that I can always try to do better than that. Just like it says in my signature.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

CMSMJ1

mendis wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 05:29

It's not very easy to keep on against the tide of warring posts from each faction.

If both sides feel the moderation is impacting them I would suggest that we're getting most of it right.

There are, in my view, posters who choose to rile up their "opponents" and find themselves in contact with the mods and then warned/ banned as they persist with thinking this place wishes to allow such selfish frustrating behaviours.

There are, in my view, those who take time to report posts but still find frustration in the visible response but perhaps don't realise the hidden activity. Some know full well how it works and it can be that the mod team can't always live on-site and manage in real time.
Real life and such like....

I'd never thought the place was biased to be fair to the forumites but I have seen that the place has become more polarised of late which I think reflects societal change.

I've shared pm with most of the complainers I think. I'm usually asking people to take a breath before posting bait or to react to it.
99% of us wouldn't argue like children if sat over a beer/ brew in person.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Big Tea

Not so long ago the same mods were being accused of being Mercedes sycophants. Seems to suggest they favour both sides and hate the other.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TimW

Thumbs up for the mods, IMNSHO you are doing a great job. Thanks for good work in keeping things readable (when possible....)

For the posters complaining, think before you post. Does what your post add to the discussion? Have you posted it before? If someone disagrees with you, that is not a reason to repeat your opinion again. Someone posting like a broken record? That is not a reason to become a broken record yourself.

And sometimes you may disagree with the mods, leave it at that. E.g. I felt it was wrong to remove a post from the AM team thread that Vettel was on the cover of some LHBTI magazine. But I perfectly understood that it was the most effective way to kill an LHBTI debate that had no place on F1technical.

So again, thanks for the great work! =D>

west52keep64

Once again, that thread heads in a direction where plenty of factual evidence can be shared, and it's closed. It seems basically if you disagree with the mods view on a topic, they shut the thread down.

hollus

“The mods” is about half a dozen people. Assuming a monolitic view is just that, assuming.
Rivals, not enemies.