Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
CMSMJ1

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

west52keep64 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 23:14
Once again, that thread heads in a direction where plenty of factual evidence can be shared, and it's closed. It seems basically if you disagree with the mods view on a topic, they shut the thread down.
Come on. This is still the internet and one has to take it that one cannot always be right and have the last word in an argument.

There are more antediluvian memes about that when the internet was young and carefree

https://bfy.tw/Ti98
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

wesley123

imo mods take way too much effort to try and keep topics on-topic that it completely removes the ability to have an "organic" discussion. Discussions generally revolve around people attacking a subject, and subsequently attacking specific parts of the discussion. You'd attack these specific parts because you know more of it or tend to have more of an interest to it. These discussions then tend to be spun off in different topics, where they either get lost, because your post suddenly isn't where you left it, and the discussion becomes specific to an extent that no one seems to know what actually was being discussed and why. There is no consensus that can be reached, if the discussion is void of the required context.

This vendetta against off-topic content however will bring another downside that brings me to this topic; Because everything is spun off in their own topics, what you are left with is fanboyism, empty content, and circlejerks.

The bias becomes obvious because there is nothing that drowns out this sound anymore. I don't think many people would still notice the "x rules, y drools!" posts if it is surrounded with posts actually holding a discussion. So of course you are then going to be bombarded with biased posts which trigger everyone, even if you try your hardest to stay objective.

Mods are biased, OP is biased, I am biased(and right :P ), every member on this forum is biased. This only becomes a problem if the main content baits this bias, and that is what currently is happening in my view.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MadMax

CMSMJ1 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 23:41
west52keep64 wrote:
Once again, that thread heads in a direction where plenty of factual evidence can be shared, and it's closed. It seems basically if you disagree with the mods view on a topic, they shut the thread down.
Come on. This is still the internet and one has to take it that one cannot always be right and have the last word in an argument.

There are more antediluvian memes about that when the internet was young and carefree

It's not about having the last word. When one mirrors what other posters say and one gets a board warning and your post deleted but the other is left there and obviously unpunished, that's saying something isn't right somewhere in the group that moderates the forum.

Stu

The primary purpose of a discussion is to listen the the other perspective, reflect and respond in turn. It is not a fight, both sides cannot be 100% right, but can be 100% wrong.

Stuff can be (and is) fact-checked, such actions can lead to thread locking and massive post deletion.

When views become entrenched and partisan (and that becomes the point of the ‘discussion’), there is no longer any real discussion (and if there is, it get lost in the fog of fanboyism); everyone loses.

If you want an echo-chamber, go to Twatter or Faceache & follow things that you only agree with.

Discussion is welcome, heated exchanges may result you (including all of the mods - except @steven, of course!🤦‍♂️) may be wrong.
Hooligan behaviour, personal attacks and deliberate subversive posturing is not, and cannot, be allowed to prosper.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

CMSMJ1

MadMax wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 00:55
CMSMJ1 wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

It's not about having the last word. When one mirrors what other posters say and one gets a board warning and your post deleted but the other is left there and obviously unpunished, that's saying something isn't right somewhere in the group that moderates the forum.
When there are posters who cannot stop the bickering, as Stu says, there has to be a line - sometimes it falls one side, or the other.
We take actions to prevent this arguing and even as far to temporarily ban users...who then find their motivation to argue so strong that they cannot help but return to the scene of the crime as a moustachioed and bewigged bystander to continue to harry the "other side". A sensible and intelligent person decides they must have another crack at the argument and cannot be left out of the games in the playground, so they decide to come back under another guise. :shock:

Imagine accepting moral and behavioural guidance from that person about how to try and moderate a community of tecnically minded, generally considerate people and to do it in the right way as best you can?

Would you propose that the thread (assuming we're wanting to have the last word in the cost cap??) is opened for one last hurrah by whichever side needs the last word, and then close it again? It makes no sense and the forum will have to take this one as done.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

MadMax

On a general note, the rush to close topics doesn't actually help the forum or the mods. All that happens is the discussion spills over in to other threads and pollutes them. We're all guilty of that, sadly, to some extent.

Isn't it better to let a polluted topic fester and then the mods concentrate on keeping the clean topics clean? The cost cap thread, for example, is just spilling over in to other threads. The subject is likely to rumble on for some time yet, especially as we're so close to the end of the season. The risk is that it will be brought up in race and team threads and then those will need to be more heavily policed by the mods.

If, for example, the cost cap thread is left open, those that feel the need to pick at the scab can do so, those that are no longer interested can just leave the thread and forget about it. By closing the thread, everyone gets to see the arguments carrying on in other threads until the mods clean them up - wasting mod time.

Yes, one might argue that people should end the discussion as soon as the mods decide the thread is closed, but that's taking the line used by autocracies and is akin to censorship. The reason subjects rumble on is because the people on the forum are, almost be definition, passionate about F1 and so the discussions are important to them. Sure, some have their passion focussed more on one team or driver than others who have a general love of the sport, but it is the passion that keeps the forum running. If no one cared, no one would bother coming on here.

Anyway, just a thought rather than a criticism.

dans79

CMSMJ1 wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 11:45
Would you propose that the thread (assuming we're wanting to have the last word in the cost cap??) is opened for one last hurrah by whichever side needs the last word, and then close it again? It makes no sense and the forum will have to take this one as done.
How about you just open it or close it permanently then. The open/close, open/close, open/close flip flop is fairly annoying to those of us who don't reside in the same time zones as the moderators. Plus it smacks of an I don't want to deal with mentality, or of bias.
197 104 103 7

mendis

MadMax wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 00:55
CMSMJ1 wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

You got a warning within a month of joining? Notorious "new bee". :wink:

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 15:21
CMSMJ1 wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 11:45
How about you just open it or close it permanently then. The open/close, open/close, open/close flip flop is fairly annoying to those of us who don't reside in the same time zones as the moderators. Plus it smacks of an I don't want to deal with mentality, or of bias.
In some threads the arguments sometimes run at a level of vile and ridiculousness that it really makes no sense to allow for it to remain open. It would only pollute the forum further. I am glad it gets locked and perhaps as you suggest some threads should get perma locked earlier. I have done as suggested by the mods, I see the costcap thread on top of the active threads all the time but I do not visit it anymore as imho that is a closed topic with the ABA and really nothing new being discussed anymore.

johnny comelately

To the Mods,

I ask these questions in the spirit of cooperation to the forum not confrontation.

Do you think there is room for improvement in your modus operandi?
If so, what is going to change?
Last edited by johnny comelately on 02 Nov 2022, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

TimW

I just checked, the mods also get fed up with you if you are <MOD REMOVED > siding with red bull!
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 03 Nov 2022, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed Tim alling people pricks.. not really the done thing

dans79

Doesn't the moderation staff have the ability to prevent users from participating in different threads?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different forum, but i seem to remember than in the past if you couldn't behave the moderators could prevent you from participating in a given topic/thread.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... estriction
197 104 103 7

hollus

Not AFAIK
Rivals, not enemies.

TimW

TimW wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 22:09
I just checked, the mods also get fed up with you if you are <MOD REMOVED > siding with red bull!
I was referring to myself!

MadMax

Interesting to see the cost cap thread locked just after a couple of RBR fans have posted a dig at Ted Kravitz.

Art imitates life.