NASCAR Gen 7 Car

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
djos

NASCAR Gen 7 Car

So NASCAR finally gets a Transaxle, IRS and symmetrical bodies!

I might actually start watching it again!

"In downforce we trust"

Hoffman900

Re: NASCAR Gen 7 Car

djos wrote:
06 May 2021, 00:06
So NASCAR finally gets a Transaxle, IRS and symmetrical bodies!

I might actually start watching it again!

I’m meh on it. Them having those things likely won’t change how the racing is conducted or how it looks.

J.A.W.

Well, dang it, NASCAR, you've just gone nuts...

Suddenly, its 1978!

Seems like them NASCAR techs got hold of a`70s car-trend magazine with a Porsche 928 V8 feature,
then figured:

"Hell, reckon we should utilize that new-fangled Euro 'stock car' design y'know, being as we're now
here in the 3rd decade of the 21st century, & we'll boast 'bout how real progressive we're done getting.

Yeah, add a`60s style - automatic transmission linear shift pattern - for our gear-stick, too! Hoo-wee!"
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

djos

I'm curious to see how it goes.

I always enjoyed their Road Course races but found the ovals to be a bit dull. They handled so badly due to their rubbish truck suspension, so I'm interested to see if the ovals are more interesting with tin-tops running proper race car suspension. I always enjoyed watching CART on ovals as the cars handled well.
"In downforce we trust"

Hoffman900

djos wrote:
06 May 2021, 02:07
I'm curious to see how it goes.

I always enjoyed their Road Course races but found the ovals to be a bit dull. They handled so badly due to their rubbish truck suspension, so I'm interested to see if the ovals are more interesting with tin-tops running proper race car suspension. I always enjoyed watching CART on ovals as the cars handled well.
A 3 link like the Trans Am cars run would have worked perfect, and wouldn’t require a huge engineering feat (and probably not really give much up chassis wise to the IRS, since the tracks they run are pretty smooth).

NASCAR’s problems are weight, but they sure as heck can take huge hits.

Bad handling is what makes it fun. The recipe for an exciting show is low grip and lots of power. This is why Goodwood is exciting to watch as well as old racing footage. NASCAR is going the other way... more chassis and less power.

djos

Weight is a factor, however, 1,400 kilos is very similar to the Aussie SuperCars and for a big powerful rear-drive tin-top, I think that is fine. It's 600kgs less than a BMW M5 road car.

The main thing I think is a big step forward, is the fact that there are no more track specific cars anymore - you'll take the same car to Super Speedways, Short tracks and Road Courses. The only changes will be to the restrictor plate size and rear spoiler height.
"In downforce we trust"

Scorpaguy

This is basically a spec car...with the vast majority of parts supplied by one chosen supplier. While the car looks great, this will be devastating to the NASCAR teams employment base that now basically hand build each car from scratch. Of course, this was one of the intents as it will lower costs. I also believe this will make it easier for smaller teams to be competitive...depending on just how much monkeying around the teams can still do to their shocks via data from a 4 point shaker.

djos

Iirc, most small teams buy their cars from the big teams, so its only the top tier teams that build everything in house that will lose out.

That said I did see several teams listed as suppliers for some parts.
"In downforce we trust"

Hoffman900

djos wrote:
06 May 2021, 04:43
Iirc, most small teams buy their cars from the big teams, so its only the top tier teams that build everything in house that will lose out.

That said I did see several teams listed as suppliers for some parts.
This. It's just a few prep shops doing all the building, with the rest being customer cars anyway. I know it isn't sitting well with a lot of people that a lot of fabricators are going to be out of work in the NASCAR shops, with an Italian based company being tipped to lead the design.

Like most racing, the costs are tied in up traveling. 36 races, one week apart, is a lot.

This was a good webinar: https://www.engineering.com/story/live- ... technology

hollus

That thing can do bobsleigh too!

NASCAR, meet videogames.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/11/ ... -gamecube/

Rivals, not enemies.

Honda Porsche fan

I remember back in the 1980's and 1990's how there was so many different engine builders in Nascar...

Ford -
Ernie Elliot
Penske
Roush
Robert Yates

GM -
Gibbs
Hendrick
Richard Childress
Waltrip/Claude Queen, Lou LaRosa.

Today -

Ford -
Roush/Yates

GM -
Hendrick
Richard Childress

Toyota TRD

I wonder if it's cheaper to just buy engines or to be an engine builder and lease the engines to 10 different teams ?

vorticism

𓄀

Stu

Very similar construction method that DTM were running when they went ‘full silhouette’.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Scorpaguy

Interesting race for Jenson, Kimi, and Jordan. Jordan was easily the fastest...then Kimi. Kimi's car seemed as loose as anyone's on track...he played the strategy game but was finally bumper car'ed out of contention. Jenson drove a learning curve race and was quite respectable. None were ready for the crash fest...including the Cup regulars. I found it strange how Kimi seemed much slower here than at Watkins Glen last year.

Psg

djos

The Chicago Street race has been pretty interesting so far, It started in the wet and I'm really impressed by how durable the Gen 7 is. Plenty of drivers have binned it and driven off with no real damage.

Pretty cool to see Shane Van Gisbergen (V8 Supercars) and Jensen Button doing really well so far(Im up to lap 32).
"In downforce we trust"