Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Blackout wrote: โ†‘
23 Jul 2022, 21:14
So I guess the variable length trumpets are inside the blue colored box... but why would the plenum need such (complex) spaghetti and individual piping between the intercooler and the v6? why it is not an empty box like many other plenums? :P

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYW00cfXkAE ... me=900x900
It appears to be a two-stage inlet system?
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

AR3-GP

Bruno we need to talk.... :wink:

Is it possible that too much water was getting into the chamber, and they lost control of the combustion? It was a very old school looking failure for Ocon.

factory_p

AR3-GP wrote: โ†‘
03 Oct 2022, 05:48
Bruno we need to talk.... :wink:

Is it possible that too much water was getting into the chamber, and they lost control of the combustion? It was a very old school looking failure for Ocon.
My bet would be on the exhaust manifold? It sounded weird for a few laps, and then maybe it was leaking enough pressure that a safety mode kicked in to avoid further damage.
Wet running is known for highlighting unusual failures by spending time at RPMs and engine loads rarely explored in the dry.

johnny comelately

I put this in the wrong thread, but here we are
If people could start naming what these parts are would be good
I've got the turbine thats about it

Blackout

Great pic. 2017 RE.17

johnny comelately

Blackout wrote: โ†‘
26 Oct 2022, 11:31
Great pic. 2017 RE.17
OK, ha ha, my excuse: I'm not familiar with it.
Are you saying 2017 because the turbo appears to not be split?

here is the blurb:
Oct 24, 2022
In the second episode of the Path to Performance 2.0 series with Castrol, Esteban Ocon catches up with the Testing and Operations Team at the BWT @Alpine F1ยฎ headquarters in Viry, France.

"F1 driver Esteban Ocon discovers how Alpine tests engine performance"

AR3-GP

Monza and Mexico were concerning races for this PU.

Walkman

31 Oct 2022, 18:40
Monza was a water pressure loss, nothing too crazy.

Now regarding Mexico's failure, I'd bet a few bucks his crash in COTA might have caused a few troubles.

AR3-GP

Walkman wrote: โ†‘
02 Nov 2022, 21:31

Now regarding Mexico's failure, I'd bet a few bucks his crash in COTA might have caused a few troubles.
Okay but what about Ocon's water issues in Mexico?

Everyone keeps making excuses for this power unit. It's neither the most powerful and by far the least reliable. The only reason it doesn't appear scandalous is because they don't have any customers (like Ferrari).

diffuser

Otmar claimed the Mexico PU was on it's last race. That suggests it wasn't the same one as in COTA, which he took a grid penalty to replace.

diffuser

02 Nov 2022, 21:34

Everyone keeps making excuses for this power unit. It's neither the most powerful and by far the least reliable. The only reason it doesn't appear scandalous is because they don't have any customers (like Ferrari).
They went for performance at the expense of reliability. So this was expected. I was expecting worse. Kind of weird how it's one sided but that happens. When you think about, most of the time Alonso is ahead of Ocon so, it's also why when here tires it's more painful.

You can't fix a problem till you replace the PU. Before that, you have root caused the problem and have had time to fabricate the fix. I'm sure they've root caused the issues but I presume the implemented fix is just a Band-aid. Also with everything else being new, I'm sure some of the water leaks might not have had anything to do with the PU but the PU is what retires car cause it has lost water.

Two races left, they should be able to get through those trouble free if they take a whole new PU and start from the back in Brazil.

Next year, I think they're f8cked regardless if the PU is reliable. Hopefully, I'm wrong but that's my feeling.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote: โ†‘
02 Nov 2022, 22:24

They went for performance at the expense of reliability.

Next year, I think they're f8cked regardless if the PU is reliable. Hopefully, I'm wrong but that's my feeling.
The worrying part is it's not like they are at a class leading performance level when it's working (like the Ferrari). Ferrari is who you point to when you say "we chased performance over reliability". Given the Renault isn't class leading on the ICE (Ferrari) or the MGU-H/K side (Honda), it's not like the numbers they are putting up are pushing the envelope relative to what's possible from 100kg/hr of fuel. It's rather just a design that is not neccesarily class leading in any way, that also happens to be constructed from chocolate.

diffuser

02 Nov 2022, 23:45

The worrying part is it's not like they are at a class leading performance level when it's working (like the Ferrari). Ferrari is who you point to when you say "we chased performance over reliability". Given the Renault isn't class leading on the ICE (Ferrari) or the MGU-H/K side (Honda), it's not like the numbers they are putting up are pushing the envelope relative to what's possible from 100kg/hr of fuel. It's rather just a design that is not neccesarily class leading in any way, that also happens to be constructed from chocolate.
Scarbs and a former driver did a PU analysis on youtube, can't rember his name. They claimed the Renault was the least powerful by a couple of percentage points in all areas. Although, the Renault PU lead all teams in power in the high heat of Miami.

peewon

There is always a possibility of unlocking more performance from the PU once the reliability is there. But given Renault's track record of improvement since their return, it just doesn't seem very likely.

diffuser

peewon wrote: โ†‘
03 Nov 2022, 07:56

There is always a possibility of unlocking more performance from the PU once the reliability is there. But given Renault's track record of improvement since their return, it just doesn't seem very likely.
They've always made the PU more reliable with time. They're issue has been more about not being on the cutting edge, inovative. They fare better in a freeze.They don't seem to have the budget to keep up with the other 3.