Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:54
Agreed. You also have to realistically consider than Max and RB were also a innocent party in the choices of the race director in AD. Granted they benefitted - there was no wrong doing by the team on that part - so not really fair to fire abuse towards them.
Could you cite me the part where Ted made the accusation towards Red Bull?

He literally never did such a thing, not even remotely. In fact, he never accused anyone of any wrongdoing. He didn't even imply it, nor did it ever come close to any form of implication.

Perhaps you should actually listen to it first, because you are just making stuff up right now.

I'll include the (automatically generated) transscript here, would make it easier to cite the part for you.
a script and yes Brad Pitt well he might
not have wanted to uh I don't know if he
wants to sell his film where people want
to watch the Formula One film he's
making with director uh Joseph Kaczynski
of uh top gun Maverick Fame and um well
we know pretty much the script because
it seems to be the same script
everyone's doing in in Formula One which
is uh you know old driver in retirement
oh I can't drive anymore I've had it
comes out of retirement to help trouble
the young driver uh deliver in Formula
One they're not letting anyone go
anywhere here under lockdown here anyway
um yeah there's a that old Trope but I
like the today's script that you know
world eight seven time world chat almost
said today time well Champion seven-time
world champion
goes into final race trying to be the
greatest of all time and uh and win
championship gets robbed comes back his
next year's car is rubbish or not
rubbish next year's car is in movie ways
in movie Sense his next year's car is
rubbish doesn't win a race all year and
then finally comes back at a track where
he could win the first race all year is
battling with the same guy who's who who
won the race that he was robbed in in
the previous year and manages to finish
ahead of him what a script and a story
that would have been so uh Brad if
you're listening uh that's not a bad one
I don't know if he's in the in the back
of the Mercedes motorhome here with all
the people and that man on the door
maybe he is but that's not the way the
script turned out today was it because
the guy that uh beat him after uh being
robbed the seven-time world champion uh
actually overtook him because he's got a
quick car because you know of
engineering and formula London design
and well pretty much because of that guy
over there in the jeans on the left-hand
side
um so yeah so the the Romanticism of the
movie that may or may not be with uh uh
with Lewis Hamilton and Brad Pitt isn't
uh wasn't actually turned out today it
would have been had Lewis Hamilton won
but he didn't it was Max just happened
and with it we should celebrate just as
Adrian Nui is uh Red Bull winning their
fifth world Constructors Championship
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:29
I mean on the contrary to that, if Sky F1 thought that the comments were in line with their policies etc and what not, why havent they released a statement on it?
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1016556/1 ... eair-talks
According to The Daily Mail, Sky Sports’ F1 director, Billy McGinty, will take a trip to Red Bull’s factory in Milton Keynes on Monday as part of a “reconciliation process” after both sides decided to “draw a line under the fallout”.
197 104 103 7

CMSMJ1

AARRGHHH - we nearly made a thread that didn't descend into the 2021 shmozzle! Come on guys..

Catching up and reading this through - there has been some good points offered and countered but the agreements seemed to be that the age of social media is at fault as is the ease in which you can become aligned to a fanbase (and subsequent agreement with the majority of the point of view of that fanbase)

I also find a fellow forumite was a WWF fan :) when younger but Hulk! COME ON :)

Also - really concerning for me, as a person rather than anything else - but death threats? Really? If that has happened on this place I despair of my fellow (wo)man.

F1 is important....racing is important...of course - What did the dude in Grand Prix say? Racing is life, and everything else is just waiting to die? (Something like that?)

We all have ties to one another in this sport in which we engage and direct a lot of thought and energy. Some more than others. However - respect your fellow fans and forum cohort - it is despicable that any threats, let alone death threats are made.

Let's learn a bit eh? Or we'll find Wrestlemania 6 and make you watch that on repeat...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AR3-GP

wesley123 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:56
langedweil wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:49
wesley123 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:19

Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
Well, if he omitted that word, there wouldn't have been anything.

What he stated was factually true. You can agree with Masi's choice, you can disagree with it etc. But what happened was literally the definition of robbed.

I wonder how many people actually listened to the whole thing instead of just hearing the word "robbed" and instantly grab their pitchforks.
So why not talk about Max being robbed in Baku (tires) or Hungary (Bottas) or Hamilton throwing it away (Baku)?

Some fan shows limited ability to grasp that championships are won over a season's worth of performances. Verstappen was the better driver over the full season and the only way that fans of other driver can cope is to whittle the season down to a race official mishap in AD and claim it was stolen from Hamilton while plugging their ears and ignoring the other 20 races. That someone of Ted's tenure can present the narrative of a 21 race season performance as a 1 race season where it's "stolen" from Hamilton shows he's more of a blogger/fan type with limited ability to separate biases from the facts, than a professional reporter.

AD is the low hanging fruit for fans who were unhappy that their favorite driver lost. This kind of narrowminded fan behavior isn't all to much different to those thinking championships like 2010 or 2007 and 2008 were won/lost or stolen in the last race because of Petrov, Glock, or whoever else so I wouldn't say it's a recent invention because of "Netflix". It's always been there. Blaming it on Netflix is just a cop out that fans who have followed the sport long before Netflix, and who are part of the problem, use to deflect from possibly being a part of the problem.

Ted seems to fall in that category and has been venting all season in an unprofessional way. That behavior is something that belongs on a niche fan blog, not the national TV rights carrier.

langedweil

Big Tea wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:55
langedweil wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:49
wesley123 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:19

Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
There is a big difference between saying 'He was robbed of a title' and saying "Red Bull Robbed him of his title".
One is an opinion, the other an accusation.
Tea, I understand semantics as much as the next man, but just losing the finger pointing (name&shame) makes you still saying the exact same thing.
Last edited by langedweil on 08 Nov 2022, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

wesley123 wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:56
Well, if he omitted that word, there wouldn't have been anything.
That's exactly what I said ..
Or for that matter used "missed out" instead of "robbed".

All in all I think the entitlement to "the only truth is my truth" is polarizing like mad, and that's mainly on fora like this or the socials.
Last edited by langedweil on 08 Nov 2022, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

lio007

Round and round we go again...
Ladies and gentlemen, this thread was not intended to be another place for AD21.
Let's keep it one level higher and discuss in general the behavior of fans on social media,... and the reasons.
You can name AD21 as an example but leave lengthy discussions on the example or event in this case out of this thread.
Thank you!

DDopey

Now even the FIA is going into the toxicity debate. But to be honest, seeing this topic, and some people manage to even turn this into a partisan discussion I have no high hopes. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ben-s ... /10396608/

chrisc90

DDopey wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 13:00
Now even the FIA is going into the toxicity debate. But to be honest, seeing this topic, and some people manage to even turn this into a partisan discussion I have no high hopes. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ben-s ... /10396608/

Step in the right direction in my opinion.

Big Tea

So is Ted getting online abuse? if so what is being done about it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 15:38
So is Ted getting online abuse? if so what is being done about it?
The same thing that's being done about the online abuse towards the 20 drivers and the thousands of staff members at the various teams. Absolutely nothing. All talk, no action.

wesley123

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 03:33
So why not talk about Max being robbed in Baku (tires) or Hungary (Bottas) or Hamilton throwing it away (Baku)?
Possibly has something to do with the movie-context.
Some fan shows limited ability to grasp that championships are won over a season's worth of performances.
This is a flawed argument.

Verstappen was the better driver over the full season
Subjective.

and the only way that fans of other driver can cope is to whittle the season down to a race official mishap in AD
Well, considering how this single event literally changed an outcome of something that would happen 2 minutes later it isn't very unreasonable. How people even dispute this is baffling. They were literally equal on points going into the last race.
and claim it was stolen from Hamilton while plugging their ears and ignoring the other 20 races.
No one is ignoring the 20 other races.
That someone of Ted's tenure can present the narrative of a 21 race season performance as a 1 race season where it's "stolen" from Hamilton shows he's more of a blogger/fan type with limited ability to separate biases from the facts, than a professional reporter.
Frankly, this sounds more like a vendetta against British media, than a genuine complaint.
AD is the low hanging fruit for fans who were unhappy that their favorite driver lost.
Yes, I'm sure any 'true' fan would be more than happy that a race director applied safety car rules in a completely new fashion, a fashion that changed the outcome of the whole season.
This kind of narrowminded fan behavior
The fact that you think being critical about a application of rules that have never been done in this fashion ever, and which changed the outcome of a battle that happened over the whole season is 'narrowminded' says more about you than the people you are criticizing.
isn't all to much different to those thinking championships like 2010 or 2007 and 2008 were won/lost or stolen in the last race because of Petrov, Glock
Well, they were all robbed. It doesn't invalidate the winner's achievements, though.
or whoever else so I wouldn't say it's a recent invention because of "Netflix". It's always been there. Blaming it on Netflix is just a cop out that fans who have followed the sport long before Netflix, and who are part of the problem, use to deflect from possibly being a part of the problem.
I definitely wouldn't blame Netflix. Producers simply play on demand and engagement. However, the shallowness of the show has really introduced the sport to people who probably have no clue what a finish flag looks like, and really enabled binary-thinking and the assumption that the sport is filled with hostilities.
Ted seems to fall in that category and has been venting all season in an unprofessional way. That behavior is something that belongs on a niche fan blog, not the national TV rights carrier.
I fully disagree. Senseless ramblings have always been part of every sports commentary, and in case of the "robbed" monologue everyone who has been critical about it seems to have completely missed the movie part. It was literally referenced to 16 times in this monologues. This really was a case of people hearing a combination of words and immediately grabbing their pitchforks.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 21:51
I haven't had any death threats on the forum and im the favourite for it I would have thought. Well, if anyone has a problem with Platinum Zealot that they want to address in person? you can take it up with me first. I will adjust it for those concerned.
This was a in the "high tension" year of 2021. Sent via private message.

Was just a general death threat against the me, " the enemy." i never said anything targetted at any single person so it was really out of the blue and I never understood it and still don't.

The user was dealt with by senior admin.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

west52keep64

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:30
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 21:51
I haven't had any death threats on the forum and im the favourite for it I would have thought. Well, if anyone has a problem with Platinum Zealot that they want to address in person? you can take it up with me first. I will adjust it for those concerned.
This was a in the "high tension" year of 2021. Sent via private message.

Was just a general death threat against the me, " the enemy." i never said anything targetted at any single person so it was really out of the blue and I never understood it and still don't.

The user was dealt with by senior admin.
I know someone who got doxxed from this forum. There are unfortunately some nasty people that frequent this place.

MadMax

In answer to the thread title's question: no, Netflix isn't the reason, it's human nature with the added pressure of social media creating echo chambers where fans of one sort or another feed off each other until they end up hating anyone not in their group. We see the same thing happening in politics - particularly in the US but also in Europe - where supporters of one politician / party sit in social media echo chambers building the hatred for "them".

Social media has an awful lot to answer for.