How to make your own Variable Ackerman Steering (VAS), Variable Toe Steering(VTS) or DAS, tight corners and understeer.

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
yamahasho

How to make your own Variable Ackerman Steering (VAS), Variable Toe Steering(VTS) or DAS, tight corners and understeer.

Many cars have been using variable ratio steering racks for a long time, take your pick, Honda (Civic or RS, HRV), Toyota, Mercedes, Audi etc. But take it a step further can combining all of them. Use two racks with one common steering axis input.

standard VGS steering box:

Lets start with toe adjustment, my rough sketch:

Just toe adjustment:

Take it further with using 2 rack and pinions with a non-ratio gear box:

Now combine them:

Instead of ball screws or using two steering racks. You can use a half moon shaped gears since that would have a larger pitch than a ball screw, this before or at the inner toe link connection:

And you can achieve crazy ackerman angles (from an old post):

Will also help understeer because inside wheel is usually too far turned, with this system, you can put less lock (anti ackerman effect) but better because anti-ackerman is set and cannot be adjusted, with this you can vary the steering angle of the inside wheel for each turn. The driver now has good geometry for the low and high speed turns and can vary as needed.

Kind of like using a 2nd brake pedal on the inside wheel to reduce understeer. Old Mclaren days.

The toe system can also do that but it's faster with the variable ratio steering and without all the bump steer issues you would get with that.

It’s the same as the Honda half gear VGS system but no longer before the main pinion, it sits at the steering rack gear toe links. So the motion is still in y-axis since the FIA has banned dual axis. And resolves the bump steer issue.

For a four wheel drive car, or 4 wheel steering car, it also works as traction control.

It does add weight but figuring a mass damper was like 10kg and so was the interlinked suspension. It's not that much.

I call it Variable Ackerman Steering (VAS) or DAS on steriods (banned). But this system should fit the FIA requirements since the steering is still on the same axis but they'll probably consider it under some catch all rule.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

coaster

Re: How to make your own Variable Ackerman Steering (VAS), Variable Toe Steering(VTS) or DAS, tight corners and underste

I take it the i.p is protected?
I think your idea is fantastic.

yamahasho

Re: How to make your own Variable Ackerman Steering (VAS), Variable Toe Steering(VTS) or DAS, tight corners and underste

coaster wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 04:41
I take it the i.p is protected?
I think your idea is fantastic.
Thank you. Not sure what you mean by i.p but I’m sure the idea needs tweaks.

I’ve been trying to figure out a driver adjustable caster angle system but haven’t gotten too far into it since it’s a difficult thing to change on the fly, along with my frictionless magnetic sealed combustion chamber engine but not much info out there.

yamahasho

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 14:15
Intellectual property. Protected by patent
Thank you, I don’t see any intellectual property here l, these are just someone putting together parts that are readily available. Now if I was to market and sell this, that might be a different story.

coaster

Moving a normal rack fore or aft of the ideal ackerman position could have similar effect, also tie rod length, if you only want one prescribed set of outcomes then i would just have the rack move fore or aft maybe 12mm or so, could save alot of headaches with the dual rack system.
The problem with race cars now is energy recovery systems make cars too heavy, just because all that space exists it doesnt mean we can fill it up with stuff, dual racks is another layer of complexity filling the voids.
Race cars should be light.

yamahasho

coaster wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 21:44
Moving a normal rack fore or aft of the ideal ackerman position could have similar effect, also tie rod length, if you only want one prescribed set of outcomes then i would just have the rack move fore or aft maybe 12mm or so, could save alot of headaches with the dual rack system.
The problem with race cars now is energy recovery systems make cars too heavy, just because all that space exists it doesnt mean we can fill it up with stuff, dual racks is another layer of complexity filling the voids.
Race cars should be light.
Agreed, I had a sketch with the rack moving forward and back but decided I wanted more adjustment for each wheel to achieve the different Ackerman angles.

An all in one rack would be great.

Greg Locock

Please can you post a plot of what you are trying to achieve? left steer angle and right steer angle vs Steering Wheel Angle is probably the easiest?

pawantanwar

Understand the principles: Variable Ackerman Steering adjusts the steering angle of the front wheels during turning to improve cornering performance. Variable Toe Steering alters the toe angle (the angle at which the wheels point inward or outward) to enhance maneuverability. DAS combines both concepts to provide additional control.

Modify the steering system: You'll need to customize the steering system of your vehicle to incorporate the desired variable characteristics. This may involve adding adjustable components, such as adjustable steering arms or tie rods.

Install actuators: Actuators are essential for enabling the dynamic adjustments in the steering system. These can be electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic devices that allow for real-time control of the steering angles and toe angles.

Connect to a control system: You'll need a control system to manage the adjustments based on input from the driver or vehicle sensors. This can be done using electronic sensors, a microcontroller, and programming to analyze data and send signals to the actuators.

Test and calibrate: Once everything is set up, it's crucial to test and calibrate the system. Fine-tuning the parameters will help achieve the desired level of cornering performance, tight turning, and understeer correction.
thanks and regards
pawan tanwar
https://www.multispanindia.com