Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Nice floor shot from Brazil...AMUS

organic

diffuser wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 16:55

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/A ... 953073.jpg
Great photo

Almost identical to RB's 1st half of the season floor.. keel shape with scalloped bumps towards the front, floor fences with more than a single curvature, stepped diffuser, 2 large coupled outboard floor fences. Makes sense they'd end up with a similar floor with such similar other bodywork, but I can see why RB decided to investigate an internal data leak.. Remarkable how difference the performance is despite visual/concept similarity though.

Biggest difference is that the throat doesn't look nearly as curved as RB's, and their keel steps outboard into the throat. Might be that AMR couldn't completely swap from their "run the car very low" with the low and flat diffuser throat. Perhaps required change in chassis/packaging that was too great to do with in-season development.

SmallSoldier

A couple more of the AMR22 floor via Sala Stampa:

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 21:29
A couple more of the AMR22 floor via Sala Stampa:

Those are all AMuS' photos from their Thursday gallery uncredited

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 19:12
diffuser wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 18:19
I saw on F1TV with the front wing cam that AMR are running a flexi wing on the front like the big 3 are. As the car moves faster the front angle of attack drops.
They ALL move an obscene amount. I think the FIA look at it as a kind of Passive DRS that is helping overtaking, so they aren't stepping on it.

I don't see the Alpine and McLaren front wings move like that. They flex as a whole ....The other 4 teams, the front wing angle must drop 2 -3 cms from a standing still to 3:30 KPH. Literally there is a cut in the wing specifically to allow the lean. Not as obvious, there must be a friction adjustment between the 2 parts of the wing to adjust for the speed you want the lean to start.

Stu

organic wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 17:29
diffuser wrote:

Great photo

Almost identical to RB's 1st half of the season floor.. keel shape with scalloped bumps towards the front, floor fences with more than a single curvature, stepped diffuser, 2 large coupled outboard floor fences. Makes sense they'd end up with a similar floor with such similar other bodywork, but I can see why RB decided to investigate an internal data leak.. Remarkable how difference the performance is despite visual/concept similarity though.

Biggest difference is that the throat doesn't look nearly as curved as RB's, and their keel steps outboard into the throat. Might be that AMR couldn't completely swap from their "run the car very low" with the low and flat diffuser throat. Perhaps required change in chassis/packaging that was too great to do with in-season development.
Assuming that they are somewhere near with the floor, the suspension would be the next performance limitation. AFAIK AMR are using AMG/Mercedes supplied rear suspension & gearbox/rear chassis, Mike Elliot has been fairly Frank in admitting that the AMG set-up is too stiff (both in springing & damping).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

diffuser

Stu wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 14:59
organic wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Great photo

Assuming that they are somewhere near with the floor, the suspension would be the next performance limitation. AFAIK AMR are using AMG/Mercedes supplied rear suspension & gearbox/rear chassis, Mike Elliot has been fairly Frank in admitting that the AMG set-up is too stiff (both in springing & damping).
You'd think that a Merc rearend would be supplied with a series of different spring you could use. Merc isn't ALWAYS gonna be running a harder setup. Kind of like the tires 5 ranges total.

organic

diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:36
Stu wrote:
organic wrote:

Great photo

You'd think that a Merc rearend would be supplied with a series of different spring you could use. Merc isn't ALWAYS gonna be running a harder setup. Kind of like the tires 5 ranges total.
The whole Merc concept was designed to run slammed to the ground according to everything they've said, so maybe they designed the suspension around this idea: minimal travel and high stiffness to save weight, maximize aero of suspension, and maximize volume of diffuser? And their customers just have to live with the compromises Merc made as a result.

diffuser

organic wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:41
diffuser wrote:
Stu wrote:

The whole Merc concept was designed to run slammed to the ground according to everything they've said, so maybe they designed the suspension around this idea: minimal travel and high stiffness to save weight, maximize aero of suspension, and maximize volume of diffuser? And their customers just have to live with the compromises Merc made as a result.
Yeah, I don't buy that, not that I'm an expert. It's a rear suspension, it's designed to run at different ride heights and differnt springs. Surely they didn't plan to run the same stiffness at Monaco as they would at SPA.

I'd find it easier to understand that the Merc rear suspention gets in the way of optimizing the rear aero.

Will they be building thier own rear suspension next year ? Prety certain they bought the rear stuff cause of space limitation in the buildings. I don't think that's changed yet. Maybe for 2024 they'll have the 2nd building ready?
Last edited by diffuser on 11 Nov 2022, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:48
organic wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Yeah, I don't buy that, not that I'm an expert. It's a rear suspension, it's designed to run at different ride heights and differnt springs. Surely they didn't plan to run the same stiffness at Monaco as they would at SPA.
Why not? Monaco is an outlier track. Teams don't compromise their designs to run at Monaco. You won't take a weight or design penalty for the entire season, just to do well in Monaco.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:51
diffuser wrote:
organic wrote:

Why not? Monaco is an outlier track. Teams don't compromise their designs to run at Monaco. You won't take a weight or design penalty for the entire season, just to do well in Monaco.
Remember this is Merc we're talking about. The same team that built that trick Front suspenspension just for Monaco.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:53
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Remember this is Merc we're talking about. The same team that built that trick Front suspenspension just for Monaco.
Which trick front suspension? The POU corner lowering? Everyone had that before it was banned and it benefitted you everywhere, not just Monaco.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:54
diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:53
AR3-GP wrote:

Which trick front suspension? The POU corner lowering? Everyone had that before it was banned and it benefitted you everywhere, not just Monaco.
They had a year before everyone else. Also softter springs isn't a big deal.

PhillipM

No, they didn't, Mclaren ran it years ago, just the press and this forum didn't blow up about it then.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 03:41
No, they didn't, Mclaren ran it years ago, just the press and this forum didn't blow up about it then.
Ok, I really didn't want to go down this road of squabbling over who did what first.

Pretty sure AMR can order springs for the rear suspension in any stiffness they want. They're stuck with geometry that they get from the suspension but the springs and stiffness can be variable.