Monaco Gate 2022

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wogx

Monaco Gate 2022

We hear now rumours that Perez crashed intentionally in Monaco GP qualifying this year.

onboard:
https://streamja.com/embed/K5JmV

telemetry:
https://i.imgur.com/au8CxEm.mp4

What do you think about it? Why did he press the throttle and brake simultaneously before he spun?
Last edited by wogx on 14 Nov 2022, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

Re: Monaco Gate 2022

Perez's throttle traces from 2022 qualifying through Portier. Spot the odd one out

west52keep64

Max has probably had access to the telemetry since just after that session, and known about this since then, and now he's decided to use it as a kind of trump card against his team... certainly a bold strategy, it didn't work so well for his girlfriend's brother.

chrisc90

That’s always the risk you take when you go out last though. Will the others in front make it round. It’s always been the way for Monaco.

If that is what Max feels so strongly about then it’s a odd one for sure

BlueCheetah66

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:53
That’s always the risk you take when you go out last though. Will the others in front make it round. It’s always been the way for Monaco.

If that is what Max feels so strongly about then it’s a odd one for sure
Im sure he wouldn't feel strongly if it was a normal mistake.

But if its because the crash was intentional, I don't think you can blame him for feeling strongly about it

chrisc90

Weren’t their positions 3rd and 4th for that session though. Checo had nothing to gain since he wasn’t pole, sainz? Behind him and max.

AR3-GP

I'm hoping to give Perez the benefit of doubt because the alternative, I'd rather not have to grapple with.... :?

Maybe he had the yips? Where you completely bottle the standard motion under pressure? This could be Perez completely bottling the throttle application on that lap because he was under pressure and driving under pressure makes you make mistakes.

Jejking

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:35
Weren’t their positions 3rd and 4th for that session though. Checo had nothing to gain since he wasn’t pole, sainz? Behind him and max.
This. I don't recall Perez, or Verstappen going purple. What would anyone have to gain from Sergio causing a red flag? Was anybody behind improving drastically? I think nobody was. Norris was not a real threat to push them back on the grid.

west52keep64

chrisc90 wrote:
He blocked anyone else behind him from going quicker. Max was 4th and unable to improve. Read in to that what you will.
Jejking wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:41
chrisc90 wrote:
This. I don't recall Perez, or Verstappen going purple. What would anyone have to gain from Sergio causing a red flag? Was anybody behind improving drastically? I think nobody was. Norris was not a real threat to push them back on the grid.
Max was on a PB in S1.

wogx

To me, it is strange that these allegations appear so late. Max knew about it before the summer break, but kept it inside? A bad weekend frustrated him so much that he suddenly decided to play that game? Or did Horner and Marko know beforehand, and Verstappen just found out? Regardless - with today's behavior he really lost a lot of fans.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

AR3-GP

Whether or not it's true, I feel like this "leak" from Max is on the order of Hamilton leaking the telemetry of what he thought was Button in Spa that one year. I consider them both cases of sometimes you need to keep your mouth shut because it serves no one to have fresh speculation about it.

Gooch

Hmmmm, just speaking about moto track days, I have seen plenty of riders do dumb, instantly regrettable --- when it's the heat of the moment and they are frustrated because they got passed or even just because they've hit a plateau and can't seem to go any faster lately.

Like, guys coasting into a corner at 100 mph when the fastest they've ever done through there is 80 mph and the pros only do it at 90 mph (instant crash). Whopping the throttle open at turn in because they braked too much (instant crash). Riding 25m past their braking point in a battle with some rando who passed them or the stopwatch (instant crash). Getting passed on the outside, seeing the guy, and then opening the throttle and riding wide straight into them (instant crash). It happens way more often than you'd think, actually, giving the dangerous nature of the sport.

I don't doubt that someone could be mindless enough to do similar in a Formula 1 car in the middle of qualifying, but I would hope that this kind of person never gets close to a F1 car to begin with. Given that this happened after Spain it almost makes sense but I really can't imagine doing this so you could get P3 to your teammates P4 at a track where grid position is more important than anywhere else during the season.

wogx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:47
To me, it is strange that these allegations appear so late. Max knew about it before the summer break, but kept it inside? A bad weekend frustrated him so much that he suddenly decided to play that game? Or did Horner and Marko know beforehand, and Verstappen just found out? Regardless - with today's behavior he really lost a lot of fans.
Rosberg 2014 rumors didn't come out until well after the fact as well. Verstappen has known for a while and been pretty snippy with Perez at other races this season (IE Mexico 'no favours' comments) but it was dismissed because they were racing for the win. Only reason it really came to the forefront today is because Max was out of position.
Last edited by Gooch on 14 Nov 2022, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

wogx

We need to remember that at this point MV had 110 points in the drivers' championship, SP - 85 points. With 16 races left in the season, Perez might have thought he could still win the WDC. Every point of advantage over Verstappen could have been extremely valuable.
Last edited by wogx on 14 Nov 2022, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP

Gooch wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:55
Hmmmm, just speaking about moto track days, I have seen plenty of riders do dumb, instantly regrettable --- when it's the heat of the moment and they are frustrated because they got passed or even just because they've hit a plateau and can't seem to go any faster lately.

Like, guys coasting into a corner at 100 mph when the fastest they've ever done through there is 80 mph and the pros only do it at 90 mph (instant crash). Whopping the throttle open at turn in because they braked too much (instant crash). Riding 25m past their braking point in a battle with some rando who passed them or the stopwatch (instant crash). Getting passed on the outside, seeing the guy, and then opening the throttle and riding straight into them (instant crash),

I don't doubt that someone could be stupid enough to do this in a Formula 1 car in the middle of qualifying, but I would hope that a Formula 1 driver is not this person. Given that this happened after Spain it almost makes sense but I really can't imagine doing this so you could get P3 to your teammates P4 at a track where grid position is more important than anywhere else during the season.
I feel the way you do and mentioned it above. Under pressure, some drivers crack and do stupid things. Remember when the Mercs wiped out in Austria qualy because the drivers tried to go something like 30km/h faster through the corner than they ever did before?

I likewise think Perez might have just had a brain fart under pressure.

mzivtins

wogx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:47
In the end it should gain fans. If this is true then max is a hero for having integrity above all else.

On the radio he seemed to be speaking like they should know nit to ask him this, or even talk about it.

Also he never responded over the radio until after the race?

The body language of Horner talking with max and Max's team was pure crisis mode.

The fact that red bull came out of it with a brush under the carpet was so telling for me... At very least max has shown he is max verstappen and not red bull, at most he has hinted to some deeper issues bring hidden away.

I'm no fan of Max.

But after today, I cannot deny someone who would put their integrity over anything else, the respect they deserve.

Legend for calling it out, whatever it actually is haha