Monaco Gate 2022

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
west52keep64

Re: Monaco Gate 2022

mzivtins wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:58
wogx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:47
To me, it is strange that these allegations appear so late. Max knew about it before the summer break, but kept it inside? A bad weekend frustrated him so much that he suddenly decided to play that game? Or did Horner and Marko know beforehand, and Verstappen just found out? Regardless - with today's behavior he really lost a lot of fans.
In the end it should gain fans. If this is true then max is a hero for having integrity above all else.

On the radio he seemed to be speaking like they should know nit to ask him this, or even talk about it.

Also he never responded over the radio until after the race?

The body language of Horner talking with max and Max's team was pure crisis mode.

The fact that red bull came out of it with a brush under the carpet was so telling for me... At very least max has shown he is max verstappen and not red bull, at most he has hinted to some deeper issues bring hidden away.

I'm no fan of Max.

But after today, I cannot deny someone who would put their integrity over anything else, the respect they deserve.

Legend for calling it out, whatever it actually is haha
If it was about integrity wouldn't it make more sense for Max to just come out and say it in the media, go on the record, rather than do backroom deals with his team?

This all smacks off "don't ask me to let him through and I won't leak this to the press". That doesn't seem like integrity to me.

Gooch

Sounds like something Alonso would do... :-# :-# :-#

gshevlin

It certainly seems like an Alonso type of move.
The big challenge now is whether Red Bull can plausibly continue to claim that Max is simply an employee.
If it looks like he has been able to boss the team around, then we are back in the same situation as Multi 21, when Vettel had a lawyer send a letter to Red Bull claiming that by ordering him to not pass Mark Webber, Red Bull were actually violating his contract.

Dee
Dee

Max wouldn't do what he did today without 100% being certain about what happened in Monaco

The journalist on twitter states that he was in the room when Checo admitted to Marko that he crashed on purpose, the data backs up a claim that the crash was deliberate and Brundle knowing about it on commentary leans towards this being an open secret in the paddock. The fact that Brundle had that all ready to go as an explanation is very very suspect.

Max also told the team in no uncertain terms that he would not help Checo get points the next time because of this action. That is clear from his words over the radio.

He was asked to help Checo, he declined. An eye for an eye and now he will help Checo in Abu Dhabi if he needs it.

In Max's head, this is now settled and done.

There really isn't any other explanation for what Max did today

AR3-GP

If there's one thing about Max, he does not accept foul play. Listen to that infamous Austria qualifying where he refused to overtake Ricciardo because it was Max's turn to get the tow but Ricciardo wanted to disobey the arrangement.

Dee
Dee

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:57
If there's one thing about Max, he does not accept foul play. Listen to that infamous Austria qualifying where he refused to overtake Ricciardo because it was Max's turn to get the tow but Ricciardo wanted to disobey the arrangement.
This is the crux of it

Now, I feel like any other driver would look at AD and all the help that Checo has given to Max and be like fairs, he has admitted what he has done and after Monaco, has only been a great teammate and not act out like Max has just done today

But Max kept that fire burning

Marble

The 4th image here shows Perez's max steering angle on the lap he crashed (almost as much lock as if he was going through the hairpin !), as opposed to his previous attempt where he didn't crash and 2 quick laps from Verstappen where obviously Max didn't crash either.
If you add the max steering angle to the throttle traces, there are room for questions even though of course it's not a definitive proof :

The question is : he was already behind LEC and SAI in the rankings ... so IF this is a deliberate action, the big loser here is Max who was on a good lap behind PER and SAI ... thus Max's frustration ?

What this thread also tells us is when he arrived on the scene of the crash, Max was frustrated but said : "This is typical Monaco isn't it, but fuuuuc*** !"
But later, as he waited for Checo's car to be removed, he came on the radio and said : "this should be forbidden. Otherwise it's too simple : just get a good lap and then bin it in the wall."

So no doubt he went to check the recordings and telemetry after the session ... would be great to compare the steering angle traces.

Andres125sx

Gooch wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:04
Sounds like something Alonso would do... :-# :-# :-#
What a dirty load of BS mate. Alonso has never done anything similar to that, never (it was Flabio providing orders to Piquet, Alonso didn´t even know), and he has always been very clean on track, tough but clean, no need to insult him at all :roll:

GrizzleBoy

The lengths people will go to in order to excuse man-baby behaviour.

101FlyingDutchman

I think there has been a lot of quite sensible posts. If you don’t wish to take a more nuanced view then of course that’s your right. Think I’ve been quite clear that I don’t condone the short sightedness in my eyes of him not relenting yesterday.
But seemingly self reflection is a skill not many possess in the eye of rabid tribalism

GrizzleBoy

My view is that this topic even becoming a thing because of Maxs childish behaviour says a lot.

"He started it", doesn't make it any less childish.

As I said in another topic, Checo could've written a confession, nothing imo excuses Max putting his feelings before the team who collectively including Checo have been instrumental in his championships.

basti313

Marble wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 06:35
But later, as he waited for Checo's car to be removed, he came on the radio and said : "this should be forbidden. Otherwise it's too simple : just get a good lap and then bin it in the wall."
I think this is the topic where the FIA needs to put in penalties. If they cause a flag in qualifying that prevents X drivers to do a competitive lap, you go down X places. Fair for everyone.
It is the same like the avoidable safety cars or red flags in the race. Like Lando (I really like him) parking on the inside, unmovable car to cause a SC....just go back 3 places next race and they learn how to park a car without causing a SC.

But here FIA is completely silent on doing anything against this constant nonsense and race killers.

Besides this I do not yet get the point of the "Monaco Gate". Crash to get P3??? It was pure luck and a blunt strategy error that put Perez into the win.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Jolle

Why does this threat feel like it’s purpose to legitimise Verstappen’s behaviour yesterday?
He had a race that didn’t went like he wanted. His frustration made him crash and bump like before and his entitlement made him forget he works in a team.

I guess if Perez crashes his car on purpose and admitted it, he wouldn’t be in the car right now.

littlebigcat

Marble wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 06:35

So no doubt he went to check the recordings and telemetry after the session ... would be great to compare the steering angle traces.
Or it became self fulfilling. He decided it was on purpose went to seek the data and saw what he wanted.

SiLo

GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 10:22
The lengths people will go to in order to excuse man-baby behaviour.
Even if Perez crashed on purpose (which is massive for the sport), Max can still be gracious since it costs him nothing, and keeps him above Perez's seemingly dirty tactics.
Felipe Baby!