2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

Point of impact, look at angle of both cars.

Max never comes off of full lock to the right and look where he ends up..

Same as T4 last year, same as Monza last year, same as Jeddah. Its the Max line.

Last edited by mrluke on 14 Nov 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

mrluke wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:15
chrisc90 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:49
mrluke wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:30
Why would the car in front back off? When has that been the rule?

Hamilton was a cars width from the apex and max still didn't make the corner even after hitting ham.

It's a standard max line, cut from a super early apex to straight off the track and let the other guy get out the way.

Difference was ham didn't have a wdc lead to protect this time.
Care to share this cars width from the apex?
Look at where Russel's car is here
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Vs Hamilton's here
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Russel is taking the racing line, Hamilton is wide of that by give or take a car width.

Bigger issue is the line / speed Max was taking was going to take him wide of the corner exit anyway.

Another shot of the normal line.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... racing.jpg
I believe the car's width of space must be within track limits surely?

Can you point out on the bottom picture then the car's width of space left within the track limits? I don’t see it.
mendis wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 11:23

And as was already mentioned, there were plenty of examples even in this very race where people went side by side through with no issues whatsoever because the outside driver left some space. I'm with Brundle on this one.

mrluke
mrluke

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:55

Can you point out on the bottom picture then the car's width of space left within the track limits? I don’t see it.

And as was already mentioned, there were plenty of examples even in this very race where people went side by side through with no issues whatsoever because the outside driver left some space. I'm with Brundle on this one.
Track limits is one wheel on the track side of the white line. I'm being a bit facetious but the apex of T2 is half the car over the white line so thats part of it.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Verstappen gained my maximum respect. He is not admitting that Checo crashed intentionally in Monaco, so they will not disqualify his teammate.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mrluke wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:54
Point of impact, look at angle of both cars.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/524 ... 29dd_b.jpg

Max never comes off of full lock to the right and look where he ends up..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/524 ... 308a_b.jpg

Same as T4 last year, same as Monza last year, same as Jeddah. Its the Max line.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/raci ... 1631862275
You’re talking absolute rubbish. If you bothered to look at the onboard, he was never at full lock. The car was under control at the time of impact.
I’m more than happy to have a sensible discussion but this is utter nonsense.

Fwiw I still think VER was predominantly at fault here but you’re not going to convince me in a month of Sundays that HAM gave enough racing room. It was boneheaded from the both of them

cplchanb
cplchanb

Most of you guys are focusing on the space but if your read the stewards reasonings it was actually his overspend that was the main factor. They saw that he was not fully under control from t1 to t2 due to his excessive speed, aka DIVEBOMB. He essentially was never really going to make t2 safely where the space was warranted

This is just another classic ultra aggressive divebomb move that ham was subject to all last year (Imola, Spain, SA, AD etc). Ham had nothing to lose and he had no need to give up the racing line which in this incident he was entitled to take.

MadMax
MadMax

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 10:01
mendis wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:17
MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:02
Max admitted that he just drove there knowing that there would be no room.

The stewards stated, quite correctly, that Max hadn't got the move done in T1 and therefore was in no position to expect to take in T2. They said that Hamilton could have given a little more room but that the collision was predominantly Max's fault.
Stewards are always correct when my driver isn't the one that is getting penalized otherwise they suck and I don't agree with them! :lol:

Yep pretty much every HAM fan on here blamed VER for the Silverstone accident regardless of the stewards decision and wording. It’s that bias that does my head in.
And yet Max fans are doing the same here. Same bias, different group of people.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

mrluke wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 14:19
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:55

Track limits is one wheel on the track side of the white line. I'm being a bit facetious but the apex of T2 is half the car over the white line so thats part of it.
That's not how it works though.

Otherwise it would be a legitimate move to push another driver two wheels on the grass on any straight like Lance Stroll did to Vettel (and caught a 10sec penalty for):

MAYBE you could count the main curb in, but even then there is no car's width but feel free to point it out in the picture.

DGP123
DGP123

Nail on head, regarding overspeed. It’s his MO. Too much speed, don’t bother braking, and just expects people to yield out the way. If it goes wrong, he just hopes the other car is damaged just as much as his will be, and therefore he doesn’t lose out as much. Hence the ‘he lost the race, whereas i only lost five seconds’ nonsense. Shame though that people are more interested in still images of a driver nearly side by side, instead of looking at the bigger picture. Thank god the stewards did.
Last edited by DGP123 on 14 Nov 2022, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

we're going around in circles on that topic. The same arguments are being made over and over.

Max was at fault by about 80% at least.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

AeroDynamic wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:50
we're going around in circles on that topic. The same arguments are being made over and over.

You forgot to write "in my opinion".

Vanja #66

AnthonyG wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:53
Verstappen knew the door would close and decided to have the accident. He even admitted it post race saying he did it to take Hamilton's chance for a win.

And "nowhere to go" is an unfair statement, he can always press the brake, back off and try again later if he's fast enough.
To know that you (most likely) won't be given space that's yours and still going for it is standing up for yourself. Would you like to have a mobster racketeering you? Sadly not always the smartest move to stand up for your right, but it's a move you are entitled to.

To brake during a pass and yield when you have every right to stick? Senna is praised for unyielding attitude when he DID NOT have a "right" to track position and dive bombed...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AeroDynamic

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 16:00
AeroDynamic wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:50

You forgot to write "in my opinion".

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 68x391.jpg
Goes without saying.

Max has to dive bomb twice in a row to stay within the overlap window of lewis' car, he simply doesn't understand when its time to yield when he races Lewis. He explained more or less in his interview that he was willing to spite Lewis' chance for victory by doing his part to crash with Lewis if possible.

harty71
harty71

It was Max's fault and he rightly deserved the penalty IMO.

He thinks he can just barge and force his way through and didn't really give Hamilton a chance to back out, how can he really when you dive in at the last second.

Speaking of the incident, this all stemmed from Hamilton's poor restart, he has been very poor at these for a number of years now, be that from the front or in the pack.

DGP123
DGP123

I wouldn’t say it was a poor restart from Lewis, more that Russell backed him up so much to protect his own self, that he made Lewis vulnerable to the old Max divebomb. I think if Russell had just gone earlier on he would of still been safe, given there’s no DRS