Temporary bans for keyboard warriors

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Soalar

Temporary bans for keyboard warriors

Hi everyone,

The last couple of months the quality of this forum is taking a nosedive. And it's not because of the mods not trying, it's an uphill battle to say the least with the level of venom on display on this forum.

I think the mods should seriously start considering handing out temporary bans to people who are unable to keep it on topic, or feel the need to provoke others.

N21
N21

Re: Temporary bans for keyboard warriors

Soalar wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 18:51
Hi everyone,

The last couple of months the quality of this forum is taking a nosedive. And it's not because of the mods not trying, it's an uphill battle to say the least with the level of venom on display on this forum.

I think the mods should seriously start considering handing out temporary bans to people who are unable to keep it on topic, or feel the need to provoke others.
This is unfortunately 100% true

hollus

Soalar wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 18:51
Just for the record, the mods ARE busy doing exactly that. We try not to be too draconian, but it is happening, unfortunately more and more. I blame twitter and reddit training, I guess?

A shout to all the people that are turning things into personal fights:
You found this forum because it has nice tech content and/or less personal feuds than other forums.
If you came here for the technical content... why are you busy in poster to poster fights?
If you came here because there was less bitterness... why add to the bitterness?

And if you think that putting up a fight is going to show them... no, decades of internet prove that it doesn't, don't feed the troll.

THANK YOU to the 90+% of users who keep it civil, pleasant, technical and even informative.
Rivals, not enemies.

hugobos

+ for fast temporary ban.
55 years,missed one or two races since I was 21. So 34 years of watching and enjoying F1. This forum is such a wonderful addition, thank you to all who make this a happy tech place.
The last years -I live in the Netherlands- the general opinion on F1 has slowly turned to football hooligan uproar. I switched from tv provider after a reporter accused Ham of a deliberate attempt to kill Max. Many Dutch forums are now constantly fueling conspiracy from F1 against Max. I will not go into the things I have been called trying to put the right order of events or data in a discussion. It is futile…..
I do not imply that all keyboard warriors, are Dutch, It is just to illustrate my point here:
This forum has tried everything, from rating to friend foe systems etcetera now for some years.
A strict rule with fast ban , and for second time a year ban is all that is left.
I do not post much , but I really love this forum.
It is visible that a lot of good people time goes into haters and extreme fans.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

Big Tea

I think changing user names should be dealt with too. We all get to know who is to be disregarded, then suddenly they are back with a new user name making mischief.
I know it is difficult if a different Email and domain is used, but annoying as 'these posters' are more interested in augments than worthwhile posts.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

We try to keep on top of such things, eventually they give themselves away…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

GrizzleBoy

I've spotted people using alts too.

If any mod does a search for the word "Jorge", they'll probably find them.

IMO there are seriously obvious trolls since last year that imo have just been allowed to get away with way too much for too long till it pretty much changed the entire vibe of the site in one season.

I've seen people post something like "one black guy complains and they change the rules" after Baku this year and nothing happen apart from a post deletion.

yamahasho

In case you missed it, the mods were called out for being Red Bull bias, admin Hollus was the only one that cleared things up.

The other mods have put fuel on the fire by deleting many one sided posts, they are equally to blame, they simply delete and don’t warn with the poster to edit or fix the post. This has polarized the forum. I think things can be better but mods should take some responsibility.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

Redragon

Maybe to help the mods, we can open a discussion thread where we can add the name of the user, etc... and upvote it when they troll big time. I understand a bit of trolling if you keep it light and soft the tensions but when you are just out of touch insulting, etc... should be obviously out of the forum, by creating the trend discussion and upvoting those names dswe know who they are and ignore them. Because what trolls hate most is being ignored.

hollus

yamahasho wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 23:16
In case you missed it, the mods were called out for being Red Bull bias, admin Hollus was the only one that cleared things up.

The other mods have put fuel on the fire by deleting many one sided posts, they are equally to blame, they simply delete and don’t warn with the poster to edit or fix the post. This has polarized the forum. I think things can be better but mods should take some responsibility.
I was the only one to state the obvious in absurdly clear terms. Most mods did it indirectly and the whole team, intentionally, strives hard for zero team bias.
Rivals, not enemies.

yamahasho

The other thing is, anything in F1 is technical, the mods should know if you try to stick to just being technical, half would just leave, I don’t think the forum owners would be happy about that.

When you come on here, people are posting opinions and that’s the impression one gets but then the mods start to delete opinions and it makes things worse.

In my opinion this is not a technical forum. But a forum with wide range of views, some on the conspiracy level and some not.

Dee
Dee

I will add that temporary bans are a must right now

And if the ban is just from commenting in one specific thread, so be it

f1jcw

Redragon wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 23:23
Maybe to help the mods, we can open a discussion thread where we can add the name of the user, etc... and upvote it when they troll big time.
Erm, sounds a bit like a old western lynch mob 😂

yamahasho

It’s the mods, they just locked Chris90’s thread based on what what, this post

“Agree. Drivers should act professionally and keep their personal political beliefs and activism to their unpaid time.

I want to see them perform and talk about what they do best in the world and not learn about which sexual orientations they support or how they disagree with x country's energy politcs.”

This and other posts broke no forum rules. I saw nothing wrong with any of the posts, mods are overly aggressive and should step back and let other members shutdown off thread messages.

It appears mods are trying to be big brother.

AR3-GP

yamahasho wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 01:55
It’s the mods, they just locked Chris90’s thread based on what what, this post

“Agree. Drivers should act professionally and keep their personal political beliefs and activism to their unpaid time.

I want to see them perform and talk about what they do best in the world and not learn about which sexual orientations they support or how they disagree with x country's energy politcs.”

This and other posts broke no forum rules. I saw nothing wrong with any of the posts, mods are overly aggressive and should step back and let other members shutdown off thread messages.

It appears mods are trying to be big brother.
Discussion deteriorated into a direct violation of forum rules:
viewtopic.php?t=5009
To maintain focus on motorsport, discussions on politics, race or religion are highly discouraged, and subject to removal.