Temporary bans for keyboard warriors

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
mrluke

Re: Temporary bans for keyboard warriors

I dont think we need a new thread each week complaining about or making direction to the mod team.

We shouldn't even need a mod team, maybe if we stopped making such a mess between us all the time, we wouldnt have the opportunity to take pot shots at those trying to clean it up.

Wouter

mrluke wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 17:24
I dont think we need a new thread each week complaining about or making direction to the mod team.

We shouldn't even need a mod team, maybe if we stopped making such a mess between us all the time, we wouldnt have the opportunity to take pot shots at those trying to clean it up.
👍👍👍
The Power of Dreams!

yamahasho

The mods have AI (artificial intelligence) which they can now predict which threads may go this way or that way, without actually any proof of rules breaking.

Some are locked and others are just straight up deleted, how does one determine which is which, mods are better than intelligent machines.

Don’t they have some plug-in for forums to let moderators create rulesets and let the application delete the threads.

And for Wouter, you don’t have to respond to every post, you’re just adding fuel to the fire.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

Stu

yamahasho wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 18:36
The mods have AI (artificial intelligence) which they can now predict which threads may go this way or that way, without actually any proof of rules breaking.

Some are locked and others are just straight up deleted, how does one determine which is which, mods are better than intelligent machines.

Don’t they have some plug-in for forums to let moderators create rulesets and let the application delete the threads.

And for Wouter, you don’t have to respond to every post, you’re just adding fuel to the fire.
1) No, we do not, but some threads simply jump out and scream “lock me/delete me within a few posts.

2) Yes, we are intelligent, but not machines.

3) No, but when you sign in there is a list of forum rules, whether you chose to read them or not will determine the quantity of posts that are deleted or warnings given.

4) Correct, no one has to respond or react to every post, but if you are simply fuelling the fire expect to get burned down pretty quickly.

5) @yamahasho, you are breaking the forum rules in singling out @Wouter above.

6) @yamahasho, if you so desperately want the ----fight that you seem to desire (through many threads), I would suggest that you look to Twitter - apparently there are no rules.

7) I could be far less polite….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

yamahasho

Thank you Stu, just a someone took a typo or a poster that have English as their 2nd language or by one poster typing too fast and wasted posts trying to clear it up, just to prove their point.

What I was saying there must be some kind of rule set to setup to automatically remove posts that have certain words, or I’m guessing that is already implemented.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

TimW

On Twitter some bans almost last two years, here banned users re-appear the same day, and the mods still show admirable patience with them.

Stu

There are certain keywords that trigger an approval request, but no automated delete.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Mchamilton

What's the chances of using an IP tracker on the site to keep an eye on people using multiple accounts? As it seems many of the trolls do

johnny comelately

This is somewhat relevant. It is basic but some of it is an insight into behaviour. The lady interviewed works for Google's Jigsaw (Jigsaw is a unit within Google that explores threats to open societies, and builds technology that inspires scalable solutions.) The subject of this topic is important because it is so disruptive with a ripple effect. It gives some explanation as to why people have outlandish belief systems and then behaviour.
I am not trying to expand the discussion unnecessarily but give another angle to peoples psyches.
Another source of instruction is this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_psychology

johnny comelately

Had to larf when I saw this definition and subsequent comment
"A woke person is a person who has made it their mission in life to correct the thoughts and actions of every being on planet earth" ... "impervious to reason"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaR7MDYXfaU

Big Tea

johnny comelately wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 22:49
Had to larf when I saw this definition and subsequent comment
"A woke person is a person who has made it their mission in life to correct the thoughts and actions of every being on planet earth" ... "impervious to reason"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaR7MDYXfaU
Just about sums it up for me :mrgreen:. Mind, I am as un PC as they come (but respect people and live by 'do as you would be done by)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

hugobos wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 22:03
Many Dutch forums are now constantly fueling conspiracy from F1 against Max.
The wording here is not ideal but it is 100% true that in some places people just reinforce their beliefs in any and all (conspiracy) theories about RBs main competition or the FIA when those paint those entities in a bad light.

It's typical echo chambers where there's no opposing voices for even the wildest stuff, at times it truly is great comedy, don't get me wrong, but it's not unsurprising that it leads to conflict elsewhere when those unfounded views suddenly get challenged by other users (or something called "facts" for that matter).

There's probably places on the internet where the same is true for other teams, of course, or in other words: it's not just the dutch.
_____

On topic of "keyboard warriors" - there's a large number of brand spanking new accounts which instantly go into overdrive on just bashing one driver or the other in various threads, some of those accounts kinda give themselves away as former users and i'm almost sure most of those who were banned eventually come back.

Maybe some limit on the number of available daily posts should be implemented, at least for new accounts, it would give people some incentive to think about what they are about to post, to actually contribute to discussions - and if they're just here to stirr the pot the damage would be limited and they could not leave 60 posts full of drivel in three days.

west52keep64

The worrying pattern that bothers me is as soon as something appears in a thread that one group doesn't like, the trolls arrive and make a concerted effort to get the thread locked and it works every time. You can post an in depth analysis of something with lots of citation etc. but because it potentially proves a point someone else disagrees with, they basically choose anarchy to get the thread locked and end the discussion. I must admit, I have to applaud the effectiveness.

Stu

When a thread turns into the “Argument sketch” from Monty Python it is great fun (not!!).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqn9

Sometimes room 12, sometimes (more often room 12a).

west52keep64

Stu wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 22:04
When a thread turns into the “Argument sketch” from Monty Python it is great fun (not!!).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqn9

Sometimes room 12, sometimes (more often room 12a).
I don't disagree, but quite often it's quite clear what the objective is, and they succeed every time. I actually have a theory it's a single person with multiple accounts that they use to make a fake argument to get the threads shut down. It's an effective way to swing the discussion of the forum in whatever direction they choose.