2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

About as well as you could ask to finish off the season given the circumstances. Both drivers did what they needed to do.

While it probably wasn't year many hoped, Ferrari is clearly on an upward swing for their low point in 2020. The technical team has a great base to work from in the F1-75 and with more wind tunnel time, better understanding of the ground effect rules, and a more reliable PU, hopefully should be able to push the limits. I think the necessary changes will be made in strategy in the off season and hope we hear more soon on that front.

Looking forward to 2023.

Xwang
Xwang

IMHO I do not think they have a great base to work from in the F1-75. the concept it was based on was banned by TD39 so they have roughly 1 year of delay in aero development to recover from RB.

tpe
tpe

Which is probably the reason they swift focus so soon

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xwang wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 22:27
IMHO I do not think they have a great base to work from in the F1-75. the concept it was based on was banned by TD39 so they have roughly 1 year of delay in aero development to recover from RB.
This technical team had the best car at the first race. Ferrari fans should believe in them. Unlike Merc they tried a radical concept and it worked.
The TD39 and the reliability will be sort out for next year, no doubt.
Operationnally, and development-wise I think the team understand what needs to be adressed (strategy/decision-making...) It's not "50-50" like at the end of 2017 or 2018.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/160344/b ... ation.html

To me, the rumors about the Binotto sacking are part of the problem with Ferrari. There shouldn't be rumors. There should not be mystery. Mattia shouldn't have to hear through the grape vine that they decided to replace him. Who is "they". It's always someone in the shadows sacking Ferrari team principals. That's the problem. No trust. It often feels like a dictatorship where the race team is simply an appendage of some malevolent higher power.

It is uniquely Ferrari. I never feel this type of hidden force meddling in the affairs of any other team. Employment at Ferrari truly is a different world.

F1NAC

Any rumours on project 675 =P~ ... Can't wait till February :D

Xyz22
Xyz22

Binotto confirmed to the press that they had run the PU with less power.

"Binotto again officially confirmed that one of the compromises to prevent further engine failure was to run with less power. "At one point we had to lower the power," his words."

Vanja #66

I made a chart to compare 2022 season for Ferrari drivers, with outlook to Q, R good and bad luck, as well as race starts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9hmkw3xu1k3m ... .xlsx?dl=0

I'm open to well argumented changes to certain races (especially regarding poor pit stops for Sainz that were mentioned a lot, but I only noticed 1 important mess in Netherlands), but it won't change some overall conclusions by much. Few comments:

- poor car setup for race was not considered bad luck, but was noted in Race comments
- team strategy faults, engine DNFs, VSC/SC influences as determining factors for the end result were noted as good or bad luck accordingly
- multiple bad or good luck or combined scenarios are all noted accordingly to keep accurate track
- events in 3 Sprint races omitted to not complicate things too much, as they had basically no influence on Race end results
- SAI late stop in FRA was not noted as strategy fault as he was on those mediums for 22 laps before stop - more than any other driver IIRC
- SAI bad luck with anti stall in AUS not counted as connected to later error and DNF as he obviously pushed too hard
- SAI bad start considered primary cause of DNF in Texas, as he wasn't paying attention to Russell in the rear since he was pushing to defend against Hamilton
- LEC not changing tyres in JPN was not noted as strategy fault since it wasn't so clearly a good decision at the time and LEC was defending P2
- LEC bad luck in Q in BRA was not counted in Race bad luck due to start position offset during Sprint race and overall chaotic Q session altogether (although arguably he was in a good position for a good Q lap and very often delivers under pressure)
- no comments on really good or really bad races, as this is too difficult to judge due to opposites in good and bad luck in races

Conclusions:
- absolutely rotten luck for LEC in races, a total of 17 bad luck moments in 15 races (and was only lucky in Texas race with SC allowing him to close the gap to front), including strings of 4 and 6 and 3 bad races; it's a small miracle that he finished P2 in WDC
- good luck for SAI in races, 11 beneficial and 6 bad luck race developments and also 2 good developments in Q due to LEC and others' engine penalties (USA omitted as LEC was pushing in Q as well)
- not too different luck in Q, but LEC had 5 bad situations vs 3 for SAI
- really bad starts for SAI in exactly half of the races (2 are with *) and one single good start in SIN due to starting on drier part of track
- only 4 races with no clear influence of luck on end results of either, LEC was better in all and SAI crashed out in 2 of them (AUS and JPN)
- in 3 races where luck only slightly influenced end result (good for SAI and or bad for LEC), LEC still finished ahead

OVERALL NUMBERS:

FINISHED AHEAD IN QAULY:
LEC 15 - 7 SAI (15 - 3 on merit)

FINISHED AHEAD IN RACE:
LEC 12 - 9 SAI (11 -1 on merit, only FRA finish ahead for SAI was on merit, since even with reverse LEC would have hard time being better)

As I said, I hope for good arguments for any changes in any comment or interpretation, though I don't think I will accept any arguments beneficial for LEC as I am likely slightly biased towards him as it is.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Schippke
Schippke

Xyz22 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 13:04
Binotto confirmed to the press that they had run the PU with less power.

"Binotto again officially confirmed that one of the compromises to prevent further engine failure was to run with less power. "At one point we had to lower the power," his words."
https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-w ... erikXgigfA

That sort of aligns with this, though it is from Turrini so take with a grain of salt.
“Officially the famous Technical Directive 39 is considered ‘negligible’ because it affected everyone,” he says. “However – since the first hour – we have repeatedly signaled that the data was too clear to dismiss the issue.

“But that’s not the entire point and it’s good to be clear.

“It is no longer a mystery that the Maranello power unit has never run at the maximum power level. We are probably talking about 25/30 hp [horsepower], or 6/7 tenths [per lap].”
Definitely speculative, that's for sure... also odd especially when Binotto claimed that there was no reason they couldn't win the remaining races - potential 30hp/7 tenths a lap would've made it impossible... so unlikely.

It also says 3/4 of the development have gone into the new project... whether that's budget or wind tunnel/CFD time, more speculation...

Vanja #66

Considering they said to have added roughly 10-15HP with PU2 this year, anything mentioned over 15HP down is exaggeration...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 15:40
Considering they said to have added roughly 10-15HP with PU2 this year, anything mentioned over 15HP down is exaggeration...
Vanja do you think the new regulations for next season (floor edges/throats) will result in significant changes to the 2023 cars?
Hopefully these revised regulations won't create additional dirty air.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think that interview is being misinterpreted a little bit.

The story that i've been following is that the floor downforce became unstable after the french GP. Peaky aero map. This benefitted neither Leclerc nor Sainz.

More consistent downforce (a smoother, broader aero map like Red Bull), will benefit Sainz, but it will also benefit Charles.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 16:38
Vanja do you think the new regulations for next season (floor edges/throats) will result in significant changes to the 2023 cars?
No and no. Cars will likely have slightly less overall downforce, their capability to extract more floor downforce was anyway cut by TD039 basically

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 19:47
Xyz22 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 16:38
No and no. Cars will likely have slightly less overall downforce, their capability to extract more floor downforce was anyway cut by TD039 basically
FIA also very recently banned disingenuous interpretations of the front wing and rear wing regulations (Mercedes and Aston Martin respectively). So the FIA are clearly tightening the screws.