2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BrunoH

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

hope the brakes issue did not hurt development that much

Ben1980

Aren't there tins of reports of Mclaren hoping to make a big step in 2023?

Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 16:51
Ah, expectations, dangerous thing to have my friend. Just enjoy the winter, and let's see where we end up next year.

Ground Effect

Good number of laps for Oscar, nice to see. Very happy he was able to do this test, covered just over 2 GPs worth of laps. With 20 cars taking part, could very well have been treated as a GP weekend, which is good for his preparation.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Emag wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 17:23
Ben1980 wrote:
Ah, expectations, dangerous thing to have my friend. Just enjoy the winter, and let's see where we end up next year.
The problem with expectations is that other people have them too :mrgreen:

TBH, Mclaren have looked worse than they actually are this year due to one driver not really being at the races.
Had he scored similar to Norris they would be comfortably in 4th, but this was unexpected. Bring on next year where I suspect the main battle will be with AM
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
I think only 9 other teams are expecting to make a big step. Too bad nobody has a measuring tape to get a size of those 10 steps ! Oh wait ...Think they call that measurement the 2023 season!

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 18:20
Emag wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
The problem with expectations is that other people have them too :mrgreen:

TBH, Mclaren have looked worse than they actually are this year due to one driver not really being at the races.
Had he scored similar to Norris they would be comfortably in 4th, but this was unexpected. Bring on next year where I suspect the main battle will be with AM
Remember, best case scenario is that Piastri is the 2nd coming of Norris. In 2019 Norris had half the point of Sainz. In all likely hood, for 2023 atleast, they haven't made a marked improvement in the driver number 2 category.

Also don't forget that Alpine lost over 100 points in reliability problems. it should be fairly easy to eliminate those re-liabilities issues, mostly do to water pump issues, and make up for the loss of Alonzo.

I think it's all up in the air. They could be fighting for 4th just as likely fighting for 8th. All teams in the midfield have to execute or they will fall back.
Last edited by diffuser on 22 Nov 2022, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Ben1980 wrote:

Ben1980

I have no expectations. Just said it to counter people saying Aston and Alpine are talking about next years car being a step up, while Mclaren have also said it. That's what I was pointing out.

Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 21:18
I have no expectations. Just said it to counter people saying Aston and Alpine are talking about next years car being a step up, while Mclaren have also said it. That's what I was pointing out.
It woud be a major disaster for any team if next year's car is not a step up for them.

Saying that it's kinda like Apple saying "It's the best iPhone ever" everytime they release a new phone. Like, of course it is.

So McLaren saying or not saying next year's car is a step up doesn't really mean anything.

You would expect it to be better than this year's car. The only thing that remains to be seen is how much better.

the EDGE

The big question is…

MCL37 - Evolution or Revolution

All teams will have learned through development/running the car, that there will have been things with the chassis that they would have done differently had they know then, what they know now

A new year gives them the opportunity to put that right, but to what extent, is the burning question on my mind

If McLaren choose evolution then we can expect the car to be a little faster, hopefully easier to extract performance from

If they’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and pursue a new concept, then we could expect maybe a bigger jump in performance, or a bigger chance of getting it wrong and falling back

I guess only time will tell

Ben1980

Didn't they change the concept towards the end of the season to be able to gain more from it. They changed it a lot throughout the season.

I very much doubt they will scrap all the work they did to get the car how it was. They talk was about being able to work from there.

the EDGE

Ben1980 wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 23:55
Didn't they change the concept towards the end of the season to be able to gain more from it. They changed it a lot throughout the season.

I very much doubt they will scrap all the work they did to get the car how it was. They talk was about being able to work from there.
Yes, but what we’ve seen so far is McLaren making aero development, limited to its existing chassis concept,

Now they have the opportunity to change the chassis, to what extent will they choose to do so, and will that lead to a new aero concept. I mean, and its unlikely but still an example, they could choose to peruse a Mercedes philosophy if they now wanted

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 00:08
Ben1980 wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 23:55

Yes, but what we’ve seen so far is McLaren making aero development, limited to its existing chassis concept,

Now they have the opportunity to change the chassis, to what extent will they choose to do so, and will that lead to a new aero concept. I mean, and its unlikely but still an example, they could choose to peruse a Mercedes philosophy if they now wanted
The latest update (Singapore) implied a Chassis change, that’s why only Lando had it there and then Daniel in Japan… I’m sure that based on time constraints and been in the middle of the season didn’t allow them to implement all the changes they would have liked.

Read that for example a clear change would be on trying to raise the back of the car a bit more in order to allow additional suspension travel and therefore more compliance from it, that was one of the challenges this year in the sense that the car was designed to run pretty flat, which involved a very rigid rear suspension setup (to avoid it from bottoming out) and the necessity to raise the car a bit more than what they would have wanted in order to avoid both bottoming and porpoising… I don’t think we will see rake like in the previous generation, but the concept and the Tunnel design will probably have that in mind.

onewingedangel

The Singapore update wasn't a chassis change but a modification, so they were working with the constraints of the existing chassis.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/the ... n-upgrade/