2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

RedNEO wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 03:42
diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 21:21
Looks like Alpine fired the lawyer responsible for the Piastri contract.

https://formula1news.co.uk/alpine-sack- ... r-scandal/
Maybe they will rehire the lawyer for accidentally doing good work because Otmar is now apparently delighted with the results :lol:

What he is saying is accurate. Piastri has more up side but he also has more down side. He's more of an unknown. Anyways, not sure what you're expecting him to say.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 14:34
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 21:21
Looks like Alpine fired the lawyer responsible for the Piastri contract.

https://formula1news.co.uk/alpine-sack- ... r-scandal/
Maybe they will rehire the lawyer for accidentally doing good work because Otmar is now apparently delighted with the results :lol:

What he is saying is accurate. Piastri has more up side but he also has more down side. He's more of an unknown. Anyways, not sure what you're expecting him to say.
A more mature team would say that 'what happened was in the past. We wish Oscar the best but our focus is on getting Pierre upto speed within our program' or something to that effect. Talk about how much upside your car has for next season, etc. There is no need to get into definitive statements like our 3rd choice will be better than the guy who spurned us. It sounds stupid because everyone knows he was the 3rd choice and there is a chance Mclaren/ Piastri combo is better which would really make him look silly. This has the same vibe as 'we are confident we have a contract with Oscar'.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 14:43
diffuser wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

A more mature team would say that 'what happened was in the past. We wish Oscar the best but our focus is on getting Pierre upto speed within our program' or something to that effect. Talk about how much upside your car has for next season, etc. There is no need to get into definitive statements like our 3rd choice will be better than the guy who spurned us. It sounds stupid because everyone knows he was the 3rd choice and there is a chance Mclaren/ Piastri combo is better which would really make him look silly. This has the same vibe as 'we are confident we have a contract with Oscar'.
Dude, they obviously feel betrayed by Piastri. They wished Alonso well but Piastri? Think the sentiment is "We hope he drops dead!"

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 15:02
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Dude, they obviously feel betrayed by Piastri. They wished Alonso well but Piastri? Think the sentiment is "We hope he drops dead!"
But that’s when you expect people in a leadership position and representing a brand to act professional and not like a scorned teenager because his partner cheated on him.

Big Tea

Until we see Piastri perform in a F1 race no one is going to know. We have seen Gasly in a F1 season and can grade him. I'm sure you would get all sorts of score between 5th and 15th best, so not sure what the final outcome would be.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 16:49
diffuser wrote:
peewon wrote:

But that’s when you expect people in a leadership position and representing a brand to act professional and not like a scorned teenager because his partner cheated on him.
I don't see anything is wrong in what he said. He didn't say anything bad about Piastri. Just that he thought next year Ocon/Gasly is gonna be faster and result in more points than Ocon/Piastri would. That is because Gasly is still young but is fast and has experience. In his opinion Gasly is faster than Piastri but time will tell.

I think you're making a mountain out of molehill.

I will add that we don't even know what questions that were asked of him. just the extracts from the answers.

AR3-GP

At the end of the day, regardless of how talented or untalented a team's drivers are, the team is going to back the drivers they signed in their press statements.

I mean last year Mr Szafnauer said Stroll was one of the most gifted drivers in F1. There is nothing untoward about it. You just have to be positive towards your own at all times (sadly Otmar could not extend such courtesy to Alonso, daring to blame him for the loss of points and making sure everyone knew Alonso was signed before he got here :wtf: , but I'm going to let it go :wink: )

Alpine will succeed in spite of Mr Szafnauer, and I'll leave it at that :lol: .

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 19:49
At the end of the day, regardless of how talented or untalented a team's drivers are, the team is going to back the drivers they signed in their press statements.

I mean last year Mr Szafnauer said Stroll was one of the most gifted drivers in F1. There is nothing untoward about it. You just have to be positive towards your own at all times (sadly Otmar could not extend such courtesy to Alonso, daring to blame him for the loss of points and making sure everyone knew Alonso was signed before he got here :wtf: , but I'm going to let it go :wink: )

I agree, just one note Alonso was negotiating with Rossi not with Otmar. Otmar was not part of the negotiation, as per Alonso.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 19:36
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 16:49
diffuser wrote:

I don't see anything is wrong in what he said. He didn't say anything bad about Piastri. Just that he thought next year Ocon/Gasly is gonna be faster and result in more points than Ocon/Piastri would. That is because Gasly is still young but is fast and has experience. In his opinion Gasly is faster than Piastri but time will tell.

I think you're making a mountain out of molehill.

I will add that we don't even know what questions that were asked of him. just the extracts from the answers.
It’s a behavior pattern by now… His need to have the last word, of taking digs at either the competition or in this case a driver is not new.

In any case, that’s my opinion of him based on his interviews, the way he has acted in the past (the Racing Point brake saga), announcing a driver that doesn’t have a contract, etc… Feel bad for Alpine since he isn’t the leader they need if they do want to get to the top.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 20:07
AR3-GP wrote:

I agree, just one note Alonso was negotiating with Rossi not with Otmar. Otmar was not part of the negotiation, as per Alonso.
I wasn't referring to the '23 negotiations but just this odd remark that Otmar used several times this season. Reminding us that he wasn't here when they signed Alonso.

It's such an odd statement. It's almost backhanded. Why is it relevant to point this out? Do you think Toto Wolf was letting everyone know at any opportunity about how he wasn't there when they signed Hamilton for '13?

Why say such a thing unless you practically resent a driver's presence. If you read between the lines, "I wasn't here when they signed him" can be interpreted as "I wouldn't have signed him if I was here". Scary.

Alonso Fan

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 21:58
diffuser wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 20:07
AR3-GP wrote:

I wasn't referring to the '23 negotiations but just this odd remark that Otmar used several times this season. Reminding us that he wasn't here when they signed Alonso.

It's such an odd statement. It's almost backhanded. Why is it relevant to point this out? Do you think Toto Wolf was letting everyone know at any opportunity about how he wasn't there when they signed Hamilton for '13?

Why say such a thing unless you practically resent a driver's presence. If you read between the lines, "I wasn't here when they signed him" can be interpreted as "I wouldn't have signed him if I was here". Scary.
Yeah think it's pretty clear otmar never saw eye to eye with alonso. And alonsos actions of telling everyone on the team except him about the Aston move proved that for me. I never felt otmars support or encouragement for alonso like there was for ocon. Only in the last races did they try switching drivers to let the faster one though and the like. In the previous races one driver was always stuck behind the other. That's in stark contrast to last year where the drivers worked as a team several times.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonMexico

The driver pairing might just be the biggest boom or bust combo we have ever seen in F1. Gasly needed a change of scenery and found an ideal home I think. I don't think the drivers will get along and we will see plenty of team orders when they are close to each other

Spoutnik

I don't think the driver pairing is an issue for Alpine, they just need to join the top in terms of raw speed with the car.
If Hamilton said no to Merc in 2013, their pairing would've been Rosberg and Di Resta, I don't think it would have prevented them to win...
Sainz made more mistake this year than Ocon or Gasly will do imo, doesn't prevent Ferrari from being 2nd

diffuser

Spoutnik wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 22:59
I don't think the driver pairing is an issue for Alpine, they just need to join the top in terms of raw speed with the car.
If Hamilton said no to Merc in 2013, their pairing would've been Rosberg and Di Resta, I don't think it would have prevented them to win...
Sainz made more mistake this year than Ocon or Gasly will do imo, doesn't prevent Ferrari from being 2nd
Ocon, at one 3ird of the tracks he was on it. The other two 3irds he often seemed unable to get the balance right. Half of that two 3irds, he just never figured out. The other third, he seem to be following Alonso's lead and figuring it out in Q3.
Alonso was on it at every track. The car's balance was almost always right on. So I guess I'm saying Ocon is inconsistent and I fear Alonso departure will make him even more inconsistent.

Spoutnik

diffuser wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 14:47
Spoutnik wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 22:59
Ocon, at one 3ird of the tracks he was on it. The other two 3irds he often seemed unable to get the balance right. Half of that two 3irds, he just never figured out. The other third, he seem to be following Alonso's lead and figuring it out in Q3.
Alonso was on it at every track. The car's balance was almost always right on. So I guess I'm saying Ocon is inconsistent and I fear Alonso departure will make him even more inconsistent.
You might be right
He struggled a lot to match Ricciardo's pace in 2020. In fact he almot never beat him in qualy apart at Abu Dhabi.
He said in the podcast "Beyond the grid" that he understood why he was setting up the car wrongly at this last race of 2020.. But in fact after that Alonso joined and I'm not sure he was doing things by himself and not having a look at what Alonso was doing. :mrgreen: