2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 22:59
I don't think the driver pairing is an issue for Alpine, they just need to join the top in terms of raw speed with the car.
If Hamilton said no to Merc in 2013, their pairing would've been Rosberg and Di Resta, I don't think it would have prevented them to win...
Sainz made more mistake this year than Ocon or Gasly will do imo, doesn't prevent Ferrari from being 2nd
Pairing is not an issue per-say, but I have a feeling 2023 will be incredibly tight between AM, Mclaren, and Alpine. Seeing as they will fight over P7-P10, having that last bit of performance from the driver will make a big difference.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:17
Spoutnik wrote:
I don't think the driver pairing is an issue for Alpine, they just need to join the top in terms of raw speed with the car.
If Hamilton said no to Merc in 2013, their pairing would've been Rosberg and Di Resta, I don't think it would have prevented them to win...
Sainz made more mistake this year than Ocon or Gasly will do imo, doesn't prevent Ferrari from being 2nd
Pairing is not an issue per-say, but I have a feeling 2023 will be incredibly tight between AM, Mclaren, and Alpine. Seeing as they will fight over P7-P10, having that last bit of performance from the driver will make a big difference.
If Alpine had signed Alonso, it would have been fairly easy for them to finish 4th. They would have had the best driver pairing in the group and an edge in car performance coming out of 2022. They've already been running the 2023 floor and a bit of rake.. From the outside the car looks ahead of McLaren. Those are things that either McLaren have just tested or couldn't even try because of their 2022 suspension limitations. The fact that Alpine have run several races like that means they collected lists of great data and will be already looking for ways to improve on it.

Of course one never knows what one doesn't know. McLaren could come out with some great idea and nail right of the box.

Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Alpine can't still want to be the best of the rest. They need to make a big step, and join the top teams if they commit to their plan. They have to be able to achieve this regardless of the quality of the pairing imo

AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:45
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Alpine can't still want to be the best of the rest. They need to make a big step, and join the top teams if they commit to their plan. They have to be able to achieve this regardless of the quality of the pairing imo
I'm not disagreeing, but we have to be realistic. 2023 will simply be about holding down P4 and trying to make inroads to Mercedes. If they are attacking Mercedes next season, that will just be a bonus.

Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:50
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I'm not disagreeing, but we have to be realistic. 2023 will simply be about holding down P4 and trying to make inroads to Mercedes. If they are attacking Mercedes next season, that will just be a bonus.
My fear is that since Ricciardo joined the aim is to win. But there's not significant progress made, or at least, it's clearly not as fast as it's expected to be.

AR3-GP

Alpine cars future: https://media.alpinecars.com/alpines-fu ... alpenglow/

I'm also hearing that Renault are finalizing their '26 engine entry.

diffuser

Spoutnik wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:54
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

My fear is that since Ricciardo joined the aim is to win. But there's not significant progress made, or at least, it's clearly not as fast as it's expected to be.
I think the Engineering team has executed very well. They had a good plan going into this year and the only mistake they made was the reliability of the PU. Which Rossi had admitted in 2021 that they should have put it in the car for 2021. The out going Danny was right at the beginning of Rossi's tenure. Think that Rossi has made some moves and placed People like Fry in the right places. That being said, the Piastri disaster is really on him. I get he's building a new team and he hasn't had time to vet everyone. Regardless, it falls on him. Alonso was a calculated risk and was not willing to give Alonso a 2 year contract. I disagree with that but if Vettel doesn't retire, Alonso is back with Alpine for 2023 and beyond.

The Measure for Alpine for 2023 is to see if they can close the gap to p1.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 21:20
Spoutnik wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 16:54
AR3-GP wrote:

I think the Engineering team has executed very well. They had a good plan going into this year and the only mistake they made was the reliability of the PU. Which Rossi had admitted in 2021 that they should have put it in the car for 2021. The out going Danny was right at the beginning of Rossi's tenure. Think that Rossi has made some moves and placed People like Fry in the right places. That being said, the Piastri disaster is really on him. I get he's building a new team and he hasn't had time to vet everyone. Regardless, it falls on him. Alonso was a calculated risk and was not willing to give Alonso a 2 year contract. I disagree with that but if Vettel doesn't retire, Alonso is back with Alpine for 2023 and beyond.

The Measure for Alpine for 2023 is to see if they can close the gap to p1.
Gearbox was questionable as well.

I think that they made a mistake not running this PU last year as well, but my suspicion is that Cyril, Taffin and the rest of them had to make practical decisions. There's no way Viry could have finished the new PU in time.

diffuser

My guess would be that they didn't run the PU cause they didn't want to spend the time and money to make the chassis changes to incorporate the new PU for 2021. Instead, in their words, they built the 2022 chassis. That's the chassis that core is completely decoupled from the aero. The outer jigsaw puzzle aero layer has apparently saved the money in upgrades....they say.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 03:42
My guess would be that they didn't run the PU cause they didn't want to spend the time and money to make the chassis changes to incorporate the new PU for 2021. Instead, in their words, they built the 2022 chassis. That's the chassis that core is completely decoupled from the aero. The outer jigsaw puzzle aero layer has apparently saved the money in upgrades....they say.
Now that you mention it, this is jogging my memory. Statements were made to this effect.

Swed3121

Everyone keeps mentioning making the step to the top 3 , both for AM, Alpine and MCL. One thing I think is often overlooked is simply the size of the Organisation.
During the summer break in 2021, I drove around the UK and decided to make a stop at each F1 teams factory, to say that the RB campus and Merc factory are in a different league is an understatement. They have dozens of buildings over a massive campus each and while the MTC or enstone are nothing to scoff at, they just are not the same

diffuser

Swed3121 wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 15:47
Everyone keeps mentioning making the step to the top 3 , both for AM, Alpine and MCL. One thing I think is often overlooked is simply the size of the Organisation.
During the summer break in 2021, I drove around the UK and decided to make a stop at each F1 teams factory, to say that the RB campus and Merc factory are in a different league is an understatement. They have dozens of buildings over a massive campus each and while the MTC or enstone are nothing to scoff at, they just are not the same
Those building are probably not brimming with people as they were 2 years ago and the people who are in those building no longer all working on RBR's F1 car. Many of them are working on other projects. The CAP effect has Alpine with similar number of employees to those 3 teams, Ferrari has assigned part of it's buildings to Haas.

diffuser

I posted this on the A522 site ...

Not overly technical but an interesting article "Nemesis water pump" from AMUS ..

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... sserpumpe/

I'm posting it here as well cause Rossi talks about excessive tire wear but doesn't mention that Alonso had gone 5 more laps(that's 25% more) on the same tires as Ocon. On a heavily fuelled car, that's alot of stress you're taking off of the 2nd set of tires. Alonso was lapping 3 tenth of second faster per lap than both Norris and Ocon with Stroll, at a similar pace, in between them. The extra 5 laps in the first stint would have opened the window for mediums on the last stint for Alonso. While Ocon fell to hards.

Spoutnik

Ocon says Alonso's departure is a good thing. He mentionned the fact that he was doing almost 100% of the work in the simulator while Alonso was doing nothing
Interesting

Spoutnik

diffuser wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 20:00
I posted this on the A522 site ...

Not overly technical but an interesting article "Nemesis water pump" from AMUS ..

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... sserpumpe/

I'm posting it here as well cause Rossi talks about excessive tire wear but doesn't mention that Alonso had gone 5 more laps(that's 25% more) on the same tires as Ocon. On a heavily fuelled car, that's alot of stress you're taking off of the 2nd set of tires. Alonso was lapping 3 tenth of second faster per lap than both Norris and Ocon with Stroll, at a similar pace, in between them. The extra 5 laps in the first stint would have opened the window for mediums on the last stint for Alonso. While Ocon fell to hards.
Not fluent in german but I saw many comments on this article on Twitter, can you explain it please (nemesis water pump)