2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 15:29
This is a bit off topic and inaccurate as well. The Honda engines are built and maintained in Japan through 2025.
Ok, I've just updated myself, but still there is a lot of practical IP transfer:

https://racingnews365.com/exclusive-hor ... da-in-2022

Honda staff make the switch to Red Bull Powertrains

With Honda officially pulling the plug on their F1 engine programme, Red Bull will take on most of the employees from the Honda Racing Development company that carried out the F1 operation in the UK - they'll become direct employees of Red Bull Powertrains - although this won't include some of the key figureheads.

"All the Honda staff, at the end of February, [will come] to our employment," Horner said.

"[Masashi] Yamamoto will become a consultant, [Toyoharu] Tanabe, I think, is going to remain with Honda on their side.

"But all the working personnel from HRD UK [Honda Racing Development] will transfer over to us, so the engines will continue to be serviced out of Honda's service until RBPT [Red Bull Powertrains] dynos and work are finalised around May or June [2022]."
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

caddy

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 14:57
tpe wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 14:55
The announcement last year was that RBPT will have access to Honda IPs. Do I remember incorrectly?
Of course they have access to IP, they are going to build them in UK and have been maintaining them already
Incorrect. Having access to a powertrain and maintenance support they receive doesn't provide rights to IP. Honda is registering as an engine supplier for 2026 as part of their return. It simply blocks RBPT from using any Honda IP. It means RBPT has to design everything afresh and can't even use the material knowledge of components specifically used by Honda as it constitutes IP violation. When they decided to leave last year, they were very clear of not sharing IP with RB. Also, Honda doesn't want to partner with RBPT for 2026.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... e-formula/?

AR3-GP

Sooo....what's the latest on Binotto watch?

deadhead

Sevach wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 12:42
deadhead wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 23:24
Spoutnik wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 21:32
Apparently next year's car will suit Carlos more.
Sainz Snr said it at AD.
They should make a car that suits the more talented driver, not the other way around.
Coincidence or not, Sainz was much closer to Leclerc on pace down the stretch but the car performance just wasn't there anymore...

I comparison Red Bull found improvement this season not just in developing the car but in "unlocking it" for Max.
Sainz does ok here and there, but LEC is much better overall.

AR3-GP

Sevach wrote:
deadhead wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 21:32
Apparently next year's car will suit Carlos more.
Sainz Snr said it at AD.
They should make a car that suits the more talented driver, not the other way around.
Coincidence or not, Sainz was much closer to Leclerc on pace down the stretch but the car performance just wasn't there anymore...

I comparison Red Bull found improvement this season not just in developing the car but in "unlocking it" for Max.
You can't acknowledge the RB being "unlocked" for Max, without also acknowledging the Ferrari being "destroyed" for Charles. When the car was at it's best, Sainz was nowhere.

Sevach

bluechris wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 22:15
Binotto must stay as technical director at least. I don't see anyone in Ferrari to be able to do what he has done this year's.
Let an angly ruthless be as team manager like Toto or Horner, i don't care but Binotto must stay.
That's the problem, people usually don't like being demoted, i don't know how they swing this...
Taking Binotto from his strictly technical role to a more managerial role was a mistake that keeps compounding itself.

Schippke

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 16:34
Sooo....what's the latest on Binotto watch?
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/162043/t ... notto.html

Another article with little to no substance to back itself up...

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/162089/c ... notto.html

And another...

Literally, all the speculation in the world being spewed about Binotto leaving... though, I think there is substance to it to a point... the Vasseur story seems to the most sound, despite not making much sense in my view.

For me personally, Binotto should have 1 more year at the helm to see how 2023 develops, seeing the issues that brought the team down in 2022... if they haven't demonstrated they've managed to resolve the majority of them (Strategy, Reliability etc), then by all means make a change... but lets be honest, this is Ferrari and if they're not winning yesterday, they'll keep switching people out until it happens.

Despite Binotto's comments about the revolving door strategy needs to stop, ultimately he isn't the one that makes those decisions in a role such as his. Maybe the team, but then the CEO and the board will step in and mince those words.... which seems to be history repeating itself... again... :roll:

Andres125sx

RonMexico wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 13:15
Silverstone was the race where Sainz would either equal or outright own the record for most races without winning as a driver for Ferrari. Ferrari favoured him despite Leclerc still being in the championship at that point. Similar happened at Monaco.
So Ferrari strategy department failing with Charles is favouring Carlos, but when they fail with Carlos, that´s not favouring Charles obviously, that´s a simple mistake... #-o

RonMexico wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 13:15
The sainz camp have previous for the political games. It cost him a RB seat remember?
Nope. What I remember is RBR openly favouring Max, allowing him to disobey TOs while Carlos always did follow, so he moved out of RBR

Alonsismo

deadhead wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 18:34
Sevach wrote:
deadhead wrote:

https://ibb.co/H7Dkgs8
at austria sainz DNF
at netherlands saind had floor damage

Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 18:36

You can't acknowledge the RB being "unlocked" for Max, without also acknowledging the Ferrari being "destroyed" for Charles. When the car was at it's best, Sainz was nowhere.
Ferrari said something about the window becoming smaller, it seems like the window moved towards Sainz.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/162043/t ... notto.html

Another article with little to no substance to back itself up...

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/162089/c ... notto.html

And another...

Literally, all the speculation in the world being spewed about Binotto leaving... though, I think there is substance to it to a point... the Vasseur story seems to the most sound, despite not making much sense in my view.

For me personally, Binotto should have 1 more year at the helm to see how 2023 develops, seeing the issues that brought the team down in 2022... if they haven't demonstrated they've managed to resolve the majority of them (Strategy, Reliability etc), then by all means make a change... but lets be honest, this is Ferrari and if they're not winning yesterday, they'll keep switching people out until it happens.

Despite Binotto's comments about the revolving door strategy needs to stop, ultimately he isn't the one that makes those decisions in a role such as his. Maybe the team, but then the CEO and the board will step in and mince those words.... which seems to be history repeating itself... again... :roll:
Binotto might be too attached to "his guys", it's always been difficult to read wether he just puts a strong stance for the press or wether he truly protects people who fail repeatedly at their jobs.
He seems to want continuity even for the guys who messed up countless times this season and Ferrari under him have not been "poachers" which leads me to believe he has way too much faith in his team.

A team that showed serious failings in certain departments and once again wasn't fantastic in developing the car, under the new restricted resources rule a good manager may be more crucial than ever.

AR3-GP

Alonsismo wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 13:42
deadhead wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 18:34
Sevach wrote:

https://ibb.co/H7Dkgs8
at austria sainz DNF
and what about his pace in Austria before the DNF? Wasn't he behind? Didn't he ruin his tires in the sprint at the expense of Leclerc's race, and then was slower anyway on sunday too?

AR3-GP

Is Binotto exit official? Formula Passion seems to think so: https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

gshevlin

The Italian media are like the sharks that have smelled the blood in the water. They think Binotto is going.
I suspect that the only reason it is not officially announced is that Binotto and Ferrari are negotiating the terms of his departure (with gardening leave duration being the main item).
With Audi entering F1 in 2026, I would not be surprised if they are already talking to Binotto. He will not be short of job offers.
As for Ferrari, we are watching the usual public execution of leaders. This is the old Ferrari, the DNA of Il Commendatore. The DNA that results in perpetual under-achievement.

F1NAC

This will probably be their worst decision since disbanding Schu-Brawn-Todt team.

And it will repeat with Binotto same what happened to Costa. Moved on, and went into team that dominated.

Question is.. How many engineers will go with Binotto... I doubt members will be cool with this decision.

AR3-GP

IF he leaves, Ferrari, he's pretty much a shoe-in at Sauber to lead Audi program (engine and chassis).