[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Sorry for the delay on the images. I simply caught a surprisingly nasty cold. Tomorrow I should be well enough to go to the office again.

variante

Ahh very nice! Get well soon.

It seems like G-Raph has some margin to exploit on the rear wing, making him even more dangerous... I wonder where his downforce comes from, though. Aggressive diffuser / beam wing combination?

And it's interesting that Koldskaal manages to have such clean airflow at the back, despite the centrally loaded front wing.

CAEdevice

Hello everybody.

The 2022 prizes are finally ready!

The top three finishers of the challenge and all single race winners will receive the official 2022 MVRC cap at the end of the season (the cap may also be available for others if I find a more efficient way to manage the shipment).

G-raph

LVDH wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 09:23

Full images here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images-cota-mvrc-2022/
Thank you! That's very interesting as always.
variante wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 12:13
It seems like G-Raph has some margin to exploit on the rear wing, making him even more dangerous... I wonder where his downforce comes from, though. Aggressive diffuser / beam wing combination?
The losses on the centreline come from the airbox, and the rear wing is too aggressive to cope with it. I should have fixed that for the next race, changing the engine cover but keeping the same rear wing.

It's difficult to say for now how I generate downforce compared to the other cars, but based on the CFD images my guess is :
- I work the front floor fences harder so generate some Cl(f) and Cl(r) there.
- I have cleaner floor outboard edge and diffuser vortices which allow me to use aggressive diffuser expansion.
- I generate a lot of vertical expansion with the diffuser AND beamwing AND rear wing. Only Tolo is more aggressive with the diffuser and beamwing, but he has a smaller rear wing which did wonders in Monza (saving drag). A lot of you have aggressive rear wings, but are doing less with the beamwing. I'd say the most similar is Koldskaal (and his performance is very close to mine!).

variante wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 12:13
And it's interesting that Koldskaal manages to have such clean airflow at the back, despite the centrally loaded front wing.
I'd say you have even cleaner airflow than him! So I don't think this has much to do with the front wing, but rather because both of you manage the cooling losses pretty well (I'm quite jealous!).
CAEdevice wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 22:07
Hello everybody.

That looks epic!

variante

New car for Interlagos!
Main updates: more aggressive front wing, new sidepods, more aggressive diffuser. Same philosophy overall.
I expect big downforce gains and better efficiency, enough cooling and decent CoP. But this last point is especially unpredictable.

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 22:07
That prize is going to be useful this winter!

Koldskaal

My car for Brazil:
Mostly minor adjustments. I hope I can borrow some of luck from the other #20 car.

The prize looks great!
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

The prize looks fantastic. I can even guess why Matteo thinks a hat is good in winter...

Anyway, here are the cars:
I think the most beautiful car is from PurePowerRacing (will the performance match the design, or will it at least be fully compliant?) and the most interesting designs are from TeamJH and Max.
Sadly JJR is missing...

Full images here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-interlagos-2022/

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 22:11
The prize looks fantastic. I can even guess why Matteo thinks a hat is good in winter...
Yeah, yiu are right, the reason is the only thing I have in common with a legendary aerodynamicist.

About the race: I did not find the time to show the car, I hope to do it tomorrow.

For the first time this year I am not happy with the development: I could improve total downforce but not as much as the best teams probably did. My goal is to win at least one race this year but my chances for the overall classification are near to zero.
I think we never had such a high average level as we have this year, that is good news.

Ft5fTL

Nothing new apart from the changes on the front wing due legality and a narrower nose. New nose lowered the drag around 0.10-15 so with this little change car should have a Cl/Cd around -2.75.

Cool winner prize btw.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

JJR
JJR

After my cooling correlation issues I take decision to not continue until I find solution .
Good luck for everybody and what a cool prize :)

variante

Some comments for the sake of discussion :wink:

- CAEdevice finally went for a high DF configuration. So, possibly battling for the podium.
- Streamlined engine cover from G-Raph. Will that be enough to keep the lead? :twisted:
- Cool sidepods configuration from HRT2.0. Interestingly, he also abandoned RW endplates.
- Koldskaal made small yet important updates. I guess i should try that bargeboards configuration...
- Max's new nosecone reminds me of the Mercedes from 2013. Another thing i should try (to shed off some drag?).
- Yet, PurePower went the other way around... BTW, cutting on excess cooling might have also helped with drag.
- Nice to see JH back in, this time with a smoother design, reminiscent of old CARTs around the engine cover area.
- Finally, broads updates for Variante. More aggressive, FW and diffuser, and tighter sidepods.

Sad to see some of the guys not having the time to update their cars.
Not only development seems to be fast paced this year, but modeling and complying with cooling requirements seems to be especially hard. I think some modifications are necessary to help all contenders keep up with this challenge, beside real life responsibilities.

Anyway, my podium prediction for this Interlagos race:
- Variante
- Koldskaal
- G-Raph
- and CAEdevice, PurePower and Max close behind.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 12:44
Some comments for the sake of discussion :wink:

- CAEdevice finally went for a high DF configuration. So, possibly battling for the podium.
- Streamlined engine cover from G-Raph. Will that be enough to keep the lead? :twisted:
- Cool sidepods configuration from HRT2.0. Interestingly, he also abandoned RW endplates.
- Koldskaal made small yet important updates. I guess i should try that bargeboards configuration...
- Max's new nosecone reminds me of the Mercedes from 2013. Another thing i should try (to shed off some drag?).
- Yet, PurePower went the other way around... BTW, cutting on excess cooling might have also helped with drag.
- Nice to see JH back in, this time with a smoother design, reminiscent of old CARTs around the engine cover area.
- Finally, broads updates for Variante. More aggressive, FW and diffuser, and tighter sidepods.

Not only development seems to be fast paced this year, but modeling and complying with cooling requirements seems to be especially hard. I think some modifications are necessary to help all contenders keep up with this challenge, beside real life responsibilities.

Anyway, my podium prediction for this Interlagos race:
- Variante
- Koldskaal
- G-Raph
- and CAEdevice, PurePower and Max close behind.
We also need a rule about minimum nose section, I am not conviced by the realism of some cars nose, e.g. CAEdevice

spacehead3

I've been making progress but I think it's too far to catch up now...

The funky nose was yet another attempt to improve my cooling situation. I went too aggressive with the radiator packaging this year and I don't really feel like redesigning the whole car to fix it now.

Max Taylor

Ft5fTL

variante wrote:
I actually tried to cut the excess cooling but it went the other way around and increased my drag without any benefit.

variante wrote:
It's mostly the same car on my end because nothing worked as intended on the new parts. (3 different floor, 5 different front wing and 3 different nose configurations).
Couple of weeks ago i checked the old perrin car about the engine model they used as a template, its comically small compared to ours. Size like that could benefit the cooling a lot.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing