[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

spacehead3 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:44
I went too aggressive with the radiator packaging this year and I don't really feel like redesigning the whole car to fix it now.
Even more radical than i anticipated. Nice.
Tight sidepods do help with downforce, something like 0.1 CLA for each 0.1m shaved off in width, from my experience.
Have you considered Mercedes' air intakes for those radiators? They might be relatively low effort to design and adapt to your car.

Ft5fTL wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:01
It's mostly the same car because nothing worked as intended on the new parts. (3 different floor, 5 different front wing and 3 different nose configurations).
Ah... frustrating when the first design seems impossible to refine...
Your front wing configuration is about the same i'm using, and it was indeed the best of the many layouts i tested.

variante

Ft5fTL wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:01
Couple of weeks ago i checked the old perrin car about the engine model they used as a template, its comically small compared to ours. Size like that could benefit the cooling a lot.
This might help, although i'm not sure where it comes from.

Koldskaal

spacehead3 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:44
I've been making progress but I think it's too far to catch up now...

The funky nose was yet another attempt to improve my cooling situation. I went too aggressive with the radiator packaging this year and I don't really feel like redesigning the whole car to fix it now.

https://i.imgur.com/DcPxkMU.png
Jesus thats tight. How is the flow behind the cockpit? Surely that part is just comply with the 180000mm2.
variante wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:21
This might help, although i'm not sure where it comes from.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiEkzAEXwAE ... name=large
It could be from the caterham team, fits year and engine manufacturer.
It should be pretty easy to reverse engineer, since the locations for all mounting studs are regulated.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

Koldskaal

It was pretty easy. This thing is tiny
stp/stl download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

G-raph

Good luck everyone!

Shame about Tolo, Panthera and JJR. I thought cars from previous rounds would automatically enter the next races, even if they have no update.

Variante is the obvious favourite, which could give a 4th winner in 4 races!
Big step, everything goes in the right direction in my opinion : more aggressive beamwing, upper rear wing endplate cut-out, wider and more forward sidepod, more aggressive front wing outboard. The only thing that might slow you down is the legality of your front wing strake! :wink: But as it's too difficult to tell from that angle, I'm sure that's fine.

Koldskaal has also probably made a bigger step than me, so it looks like I'm heading for 3rd... at best!

I didn't have much time to develop my car unfortunately, and I wasted it by trying some crazy sidepod schemes that didn't work. I salvaged the cleaner engine cover from it, which improves flow onto the rear wing. I then rushed a slightly bigger rear wing, a slightly more aggressive front wing, and a slightly wider nose. But that won't be a big downforce step, shouldn't improve efficiency, and I have probably overshot the balance target.
So I need a lot of luck from the full model!

And I still love HRT 2.0's creativity! =D>

yinlad

G-raph wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 01:24
Good luck everyone!

Shame about Tolo, Panthera and JJR. I thought cars from previous rounds would automatically enter the next races, even if they have no update.

Variante is the obvious favourite, which could give a 4th winner in 4 races!
Big step, everything goes in the right direction in my opinion : more aggressive beamwing, upper rear wing endplate cut-out, wider and more forward sidepod, more aggressive front wing outboard. The only thing that might slow you down is the legality of your front wing strake! :wink: But as it's too difficult to tell from that angle, I'm sure that's fine.

Koldskaal has also probably made a bigger step than me, so it looks like I'm heading for 3rd... at best!

I didn't have much time to develop my car unfortunately, and I wasted it by trying some crazy sidepod schemes that didn't work. I salvaged the cleaner engine cover from it, which improves flow onto the rear wing. I then rushed a slightly bigger rear wing, a slightly more aggressive front wing, and a slightly wider nose. But that won't be a big downforce step, shouldn't improve efficiency, and I have probably overshot the balance target.
So I need a lot of luck from the full model!

And I still love HRT 2.0's creativity! =D>
I just didn't have the time to put in that would have been required to make meaningful progress unfortunately. The gap at the first race was was too big and I was only progressing as quickly as everyone else so no net positive movement up the grid 😭

I'd have needed an entirely new sidepod and cooling concept to have made any meaningful progress and with my modelling skills it would just taken too long
MVRC - Panthera

variante

G-raph wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 01:24
The only thing that might slow you down is the legality of your front wing strake! :wink:
I think you're right. Ironically, i didn't protrude it all the way up to the 3rd flap because it would have looked ugly... #-o
Hopefully, it will only result in a warning.

LVDH

A few comments on the cooling measurements:
I assume you all understand that the measuring surface muss be tessellated with about 5mm triangles.
The latest batch of cars have shown other more basic issues that I had to fix.
Some people had one stl file for the measurement surface for both side. This does not lead to a crash in OpenFOAM or anything. However, as we only simulate one side of the car (using a symmetry assumption) that other half of the measurement surface is in the nowhere. It actually measures something. But "something" is not a good number. So these measurements are useless. I fix that for you guys but if you run like this, you will get misleading numbers.
Also some people did the same for the HX volumes. Here, MantiumFlow will have difficulties finding out where the center of the HX volume actually is.
So please make sure to always create separate stl files for both the hx measurement surfaces and the hx volumes.
Also, always make sure to listen to the warnings MantiumFlow bothers you with.

BlueCheetah66

Is the deadline for the final race going to remain the same?

LVDH

I was once more sick with this damn cold or whatever is bothering me. I will try to see if I can extract all results from the current race today and make a decision. Right now, I would guess the submission would get postponed to next Wednesday.

LVDH

Ok, so I finally have a plan:
I will submit the results to our staff on Saturday. Scrutineering will happen on Monday. The fifth race will be delayed to 18.12.22, assuming things go as planned.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 19:10
Ok, so I finally have a plan:
I will submit the results to our staff on Saturday. Scrutineering will happen on Monday. The fifth race will be delayed to 18.12.22, assuming things go as planned.
ok, thanks!

LVDH

So I was a good boy yesterday night and extracted all results and checked your cars. There is only a penalty for HRT2.0 because the floor fences were very low. Some teams have warnings for some very minor infringements. The full list will be published on Monday. As soon as our wonderful staff requests the results, I will send them, which will kick off the lap time simulations and the video generation.

BlueCheetah66

LVDH wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 09:48
So I was a good boy yesterday night and extracted all results and checked your cars. There is only a penalty for HRT2.0 because the floor fences were very low. Some teams have warnings for some very minor infringements. The full list will be published on Monday. As soon as our wonderful staff requests the results, I will send them, which will kick off the lap time simulations and the video generation.
Yh I realised I accidently moved the strakes in an assembly before exporting.

Koldskaal

Results for round 4

Tricky conditions out there. Better get a lap in quick :shock: