2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 23:10
the EDGE wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 22:41
Does anyone know how many FIA Super licence points Palou has?

I thought he didn’t qualify to be in F1 yet?
If I’m not mistaken, he does have enough points.

EDIT: Yes, he does.

Last weekend Palou made his Formula 1 practice debut with McLaren at the United States Grand Prix, and the Spaniard confirmed he possesses a superlicence which means he could be called upon to race in F1.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/27/pal ... r-drivers/
Thanks GE, couldn’t seem to find the answer under anything I googled

I wish the FIA would publish a list of points holders so we could see who’s eligible for F1, or close to being so

djos

the EDGE wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 23:04
djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 22:40
mwillems wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 12:37

It would be nice to be able to switch over, for sure. To be fair I'd imagine the rule is there only to ensure that any tunnel used has the required equipment and processes so as to assure the FIA of proper wind tunnel governance, and not to stop any development benefit other than sneaking in extra time.

So perhaps we can just swap over once the FIA are assured that the tunnel is compliant?
I imagine the FIA authorisation is required to ensure the tunnel complied with their regs. Eg 60% size, no rolling road etc.
They are allowed, and do have rolling roads
Ah ok, for some reason I thought they weren’t. 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 16:09
mwillems wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 12:37

It would be nice to be able to switch over, for sure. To be fair I'd imagine the rule is there only to ensure that any tunnel used has the required equipment and processes so as to assure the FIA of proper wind tunnel governance, and not to stop any development benefit other than sneaking in extra time.

So perhaps we can just swap over once the FIA are assured that the tunnel is compliant?
it's mainly for monitoring and compliance and to make sure teams don't keep switching tunnels to game checks. Mclaren have already cleared this with the FIA and other teams they can switch as soon as they're ready. They just need to make sure it's 100% because then they can't switch back if they need to without issues.
Ahh ok, thanks 🙏 good to hear!

diffuser

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 22:53
the EDGE wrote:

IndyCar drivers get a raw deal from the FIA, so he can probably only run in test sessions due to not having enough points.
I don't really know why the point system for Indy is so different from F2. Herta finished 3ird, 5th and 7th in the last 3 years. If he had finished 3ird instead of 5th or 7th in one of those 2 years, he would have had the license. I guess I don't understand the big deal. Don't many non F2 winners struggle to find seats in F1? Hell, many F2 winners struggle. They have super license but no super seat. I guess I don't understand why Herta should be allowed to drive for F1? Not like he's tearing up indy car?

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 16:00
djos wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

IndyCar drivers get a raw deal from the FIA, so he can probably only run in test sessions due to not having enough points.
I don't really know why the point system for Indy is so different from F2. Herta finished 3ird, 5th and 7th in the last 3 years. If he had finished 3ird instead of 5th or 7th in one of those 2 years, he would have had the license. I guess I don't understand the big deal. Don't many non F2 winners struggle to find seats in F1? Hell, many F2 winners struggle. They have super license but no super seat. I guess I don't understand why Herta should be allowed to drive for F1? Not like he's tearing up indy car?
Maybe a bit off topic for the McLaren Thread… In my opinion, comparing a series full of 17 year old teenagers to one where you have drivers with a very large range of experience is just wrong. Not only winning F2 can’t be compared to winning Indy, you don’t need to win F2 to get enough points (for example Sargeant).

If Indy would have such a lower level of competition… The likes of Grosjean would be taking the title by strolling through the Championship… How well is doing the F2 runner up that had 3 wins, 5 poles and 6 podiums in F2 in 2020 (Callum)? He may be having a harder time in Indy than he did in F2.

Beyond the competitive nature of both series… Why isn’t Hertha allowed to have an SL? Because of some rule created to avoid the son of X wealthy person to buy himself a seat in F1 while not knowing how to drive? Does Hertha fit that bill?… There is no reason whatsoever to keep Hertha away from F1 (if an F1 Team wants him)… The SL point system is arbitrary, is clearly weighted towards a path determine by F1 that doesn’t necessarily indicates how good a driver is (Mazepin got an SL license)… The SL points should ensure driver safety (and a minimum of speed if you want).

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 16:47
diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 16:00
djos wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic for the McLaren Thread… In my opinion, comparing a series full of 17 year old teenagers to one where you have drivers with a very large range of experience is just wrong. Not only winning F2 can’t be compared to winning Indy, you don’t need to win F2 to get enough points (for example Sargeant).

If Indy would have such a lower level of competition… The likes of Grosjean would be taking the title by strolling through the Championship… How well is doing the F2 runner up that had 3 wins, 5 poles and 6 podiums in F2 in 2020 (Callum)? He may be having a harder time in Indy than he did in F2.

Beyond the competitive nature of both series… Why isn’t Hertha allowed to have an SL? Because of some rule created to avoid the son of X wealthy person to buy himself a seat in F1 while not knowing how to drive? Does Hertha fit that bill?… There is no reason whatsoever to keep Hertha away from F1 (if an F1 Team wants him)… The SL point system is arbitrary, is clearly weighted towards a path determine by F1 that doesn’t necessarily indicates how good a driver is (Mazepin got an SL license)… The SL points should ensure driver safety (and a minimum of speed if you want).

Aren't more than half Indy car tracks Ovals ? Maybe they don't give points for the Ovals ?

Stig14

Interesting quote in the latest McLaren article from Tom Stallard (Daniel's race engineer, now Oscar's):
"He is incredibly calm all of the time," Tom says. "He is very calm, very mature and very unfazed. Oscar is also very adaptable, and it is very impressive how he has been able to modulate his inputs and adjust his braking and turning to get the best out of the car.

"He has made a lot of progress, and I think he now understands very clearly what the car needs. He has been able to deliver that very effectively, and we are very excited by that."
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2022/win ... s-mclaren/

the EDGE

Stig14 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 20:50
Interesting quote in the latest McLaren article from Tom Stallard (Daniel's race engineer, now Oscar's):
"He is incredibly calm all of the time," Tom says. "He is very calm, very mature and very unfazed. Oscar is also very adaptable, and it is very impressive how he has been able to modulate his inputs and adjust his braking and turning to get the best out of the car.

"He has made a lot of progress, and I think he now understands very clearly what the car needs. He has been able to deliver that very effectively, and we are very excited by that."
That is indeed, good news!

AR3-GP

That's promising. They certainly wouldn't be saying that if he was struggling.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 21:24
Of course not, they'd say "ooooffff, is it too late to bring Ricciardo back?" and destroy whatever little confidence he has. :(

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 20:57
Stig14 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 20:50

That is indeed, good news!
It's got to hurt if your Daniel!
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 23:09
AR3-GP wrote:
Of course not, they'd say "ooooffff, is it too late to bring Ricciardo back?" and destroy whatever little confidence he has. :(
:lol:

Stig14

diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
They could have simply said "he's done a solid job and progressed well" but instead they've singled out adaptability and his ability to change driving styles to suit the car. This is everyone's biggest concern given Daniel wasn't able to get on top of this topic (Oscar's clearly quick going by his results in junior categories). The fact it comes from Tom Stallard is significant as well- he knows (in incredible detail) Daniel's struggles and can compare these directly with what Oscar is able to do. Obviously this is ridiculously early days but this article certainly reassures me that Oscar has potential in a McLaren.

diffuser

Stig14 wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 11:14
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
They could have simply said "he's done a solid job and progressed well" but instead they've singled out adaptability and his ability to change driving styles to suit the car. This is everyone's biggest concern given Daniel wasn't able to get on top of this topic (Oscar's clearly quick going by his results in junior categories). The fact it comes from Tom Stallard is significant as well- he knows (in incredible detail) Daniel's struggles and can compare these directly with what Oscar is able to do. Obviously this is ridiculously early days but this article certainly reassures me that Oscar has potential in a McLaren.
Yeah. And Ricciardo was was quick based on all his victories and beating a four time world champion. Yet he came to McLaren and sucked major wind.

Let's wait till his first race atleast before we decide he's the second coming. There are gonna be some tough races for him this year.

Stig14

diffuser wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 11:33
Let's wait till his first race atleast before we decide he's the second coming. There are gonna be some tough races for him this year.
Couldn't agree more!