Moving F1-Staff

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren_mircea

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Please someone hire James Key and save Mclaren. Ferrari needs a man like him.

diffuser

mclaren_mircea wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 21:48
Please someone hire James Key and save Mclaren. Ferrari needs a man like him.
The sharpening of the knives?

ScottR267

Matthew Gibbons - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine.

Craig Burrow - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine also.

AR3-GP

Fred Vasseur departs Alfa Romeo to take up the TP role at Ferrari.

Andreas Seidl departs Mclaren to take up role as CEO of Sauber group.

AMG.Tzan

I want to see where Jost Capito ends up!

I thought he would go to Sauber (Audi) since he has previous links with VW! But Seidl is going there!

Jost Capito hasn’t managed to stay at a team for more than 2 years! At McLaren he didn’t even start work…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

diffuser

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 17:03

I thought he would go to Sauber (Audi) since he has previous links with VW! But Seidl is going there!

Jost Capito hasn’t managed to stay at a team for more than 2 years! At McLaren he didn’t even start work…
That was no fault of his own. Dennis lost the McLaren battle and then McLaren didn't want Dennis's guy.

Holm86

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 17:03

Didn't he retire?? He's 64

mclaren_mircea

Is there the posibility that some good chunks of former Mercedes F1 engineers remained with the Formula E team after the team was taken by Mclaren... These men if they exists have to be gold... They are engineers who worked for Mercedes F1 team in the best years of the team. And now... maybe Mclaren if they are the employeer they can take them from the Mclaren Formula E team to the Mclaren F1 team. Those men has to be much worth than everying Alpines or Aston Martin are poaching from aka Williams F1. Mclaren can send someone like James Key to the FE team and get in to the Mclaren Racing to make that Mcl37 a good car.

diffuser

mclaren_mircea wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 17:10
Is there the posibility that some good chunks of former Mercedes F1 engineers remained with the Formula E team after the team was taken by Mclaren... These men if they exists have to be gold... They are engineers who worked for Mercedes F1 team in the best years of the team. And now... maybe Mclaren if they are the employeer they can take them from the Mclaren Formula E team to the Mclaren F1 team. Those men has to be much worth than everying Alpines or Aston Martin are poaching from aka Williams F1. Mclaren can send someone like James Key to the FE team and get in to the Mclaren Racing to make that Mcl37 a good car.
Just like McLaren offered Ricciardo a Nascar drive, you don't send your best engineers to the E team. Plus the teams don't manufacture. The cars are manufactured from 3ird parties. They just use the hardware and perform setup work. Atleast that's how I understand it. This coming year they'll have the Gen3 car.
Last edited by diffuser on 17 Dec 2022, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

johnny comelately

Quite reasonable views from the experienced Martin Brundle

F1NAC

johnny comelately wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 04:29
He has experience as a driver and can give insight for them and situations about them. But commenting and taking his comments for granted about TP’s and other management stuff in F1 teams, I wouldn’t call him experienced that much.

Big Tea

F1NAC wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 15:47
johnny comelately wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 04:29
He has experience as a driver and can give insight for them and situations about them. But commenting and taking his comments for granted about TP’s and other management stuff in F1 teams, I wouldn’t call him experienced that much.
He was half of 2MB, managers for a while, but always admits he knows little of team management
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren_mircea

diffuser wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 23:57
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Just like McLaren offered Ricciardo a Nascar drive, you don't send your best engineers to the E team. Plus the teams don't manufacture. The cars are manufactured from 3ird parties. They just use the hardware and perform setup work. Atleast that's how I understand it. This coming year they'll have the Gen3 car.
I mean... I wanted to say as an elegant way to get rid of James Keys conservatism and lack of courage in the design choiches of the car that is starting to hamper Mclaren.

diffuser

mclaren_mircea wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 23:10
diffuser wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 23:57
mclaren_mircea wrote:

Don't forget everything was new for 2022. The breaks the tires the suspension, everything. They woun't repeat the brake problem causex they now have tons of data. They've also collected tons of race data on the floor. Not sure how good the CDF was prior to this year without real world data. I think many of the midfields went conservative and went in the "general" direction that the 2021 car was going, from the chassis skin perspective.
I mean... I wanted to say as an elegant way to get rid of James Keys conservatism and lack of courage in the design choiches of the car that is starting to hamper Mclaren.

I think many teams(early McLaren Merc, Williams and Alpine) went with an extension of 2021 when it comes to chassis skin design. Ferrari and RBR went thier own way respectively. With regards to the Ferrari, it really went a different way. The Ferrari PU purchasers all look like they got a look at what Ferrari was doing, they all came with a variation on the Ferrari theme. You could probably argue the same about the Merc PU purchasers as well(except Aston). From a midfield perspective, conservative was a good way to go for 2022, remember, many of the subsystems (brakes and suspension rule changes) were completely redesigned for 2022 and they had no data on those or the new floor aero. I doudt CDF models were much good with the little data they had collected. So I think when you're in the midfield and lack the tools the big boys have, conservative is good. The other option is you risk going the Aston route where you find out early on that you've gone the wrong way.

That being said if they have another bad year Key will start to feel under pressure to be removed. It doesn't look good going into 2023 for McLAren either. Alpine were ahead coming out of 2022, having already been running 2023 ride heights and having the faster car. Aston after starting far back looked to have caught up and were coming on strong. They both have their sights set on 4th in the constructors or better. Don't remember when the competion for 4th was ever this strong.

Skippon

mclaren_mircea wrote:
The Mercedes FE powertrain was developed by HPP in Brixworth who would be the same team who did 2014 onwards F1 ERS - I would guess they are still in Brixworth but now working back in F1 on 2026 project .....