Machining and associated

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
johnny comelately

Re: Machining and associated

Some informative talk about materials and lasers
new school not old school

johnny comelately

All large jobs, check the one cut stock removal chips at 8:20ish
The surprising thing for me is all CNC work is climb milling, something that in yesteryear would have vibrated the bejesus out of everything, a testament to change in linear actuation.

johnny comelately

And while we are on the little stuff here some gear making starting with some very slow upsetting and very fast hobbing, and molecular manipulation. All mesmerising to me
For an explanation of the advanced hobbing method and what is probably used in F1 this link shows the use of tapered hobs of the palloid design and lapping finishes. The palloid apparently produces the perfect involute curve whereas the more traditional methods are an aproximation which produces inefficiencies.
https://gearsolutions.com/features/high ... vel-gears/

dans79

johnny comelately wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 22:42
The surprising thing for me is all CNC work is climb milling, something that in yesteryear would have vibrated the bejesus out of everything, a testament to change in linear actuation.
The benefits of huge preloaded zero backlash ball screws.
197 104 103 7

dans79

another details oriented video.

197 104 103 7

johnny comelately

dans79 wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:26
another details oriented video.

Thanks for that Dan, I had never seen a 6 jaw before!
The closest thing we had were collets.
I have seen the soft jaw machining before, like this from our F1 benefactor Gene Haas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMm9P9XdbY

coaster

I finished my apprenticeship in 1995, cnc machining used to rely solely on programming for 3d contour machining back then.
But then a new kid arrived in town, his name was Cad Cam, he had a gang, he was the lead programmer and all the others were machine operators.
I found manual machining more interesting once the new guy called cad cam arrived.

johnny comelately

coaster wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 12:30
I finished my apprenticeship in 1995, cnc machining used to rely solely on programming for 3d contour machining back then.
But then a new kid arrived in town, his name was Cad Cam, he had a gang, he was the lead programmer and all the others were machine operators.
I found manual machining more interesting once the new guy called cad cam arrived.
=D>

johnny comelately

This is the company that are doing a JV with GE for the new RISE engines
"CFM RISE (Revolutionary Innovation for Sustainable Engines)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naopd2d_dCM&t=208s

This slightly quirky video explains the complexity of lost wax casting as used in turbine blades. Remember this when paying for your ticket and when flying next time.

Billzilla

johnny comelately wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 22:15
This is the company that are doing a JV with GE for the new RISE engines
"CFM RISE (Revolutionary Innovation for Sustainable Engines)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naopd2d_dCM&t=208s

This slightly quirky video explains the complexity of lost wax casting as used in turbine blades. Remember this when paying for your ticket and when flying next time.

Another remarkable bit of information on what the turbine blades have to do their job in, is from this video. From about 22:30 onwards.
"... they operate in an environment about 300°hotter than their melting point."

johnny comelately

Another remarkable bit of information on what the turbine blades have to do their job in, is from this video. From about 22:30 onwards.
"... they operate in an environment about 300°hotter than their melting point."

yes Bill, saved by the quench phenomena caused boundary layer, fascinating subject and something glossed over for so many years simply because it worked and that will do, something that is going to be discussed in more detail in the 50% thermo efficiency F1 engine topic fairly soon. Almost solely due to the formula (One) rule change that this was investigated and seen to be a major prohibitor of less emissions and more efficiency and solved!

johnny comelately

Mitutoyo metrology
A window into CMMs
The Bugarti might be clickbait

tok-tokkie

That Mitutoyo video.
I had to replace my old Mitutoyo 150mm vernier after many years faithful service. Wanted another until I got quotes
Austrian Accud R865
Moore & Wright R1959 = 2.25x859
Mitutoyo R3928 = 4.5x865

Went for the Accud. Seems it is going to use a lot more batteries (Mitutoyo batteries seems to last forever). But it works beautifully.

johnny comelately

Revealing and including EDM's which arent often discussed

johnny comelately

Another EDM job, punch and die, of amazing tolerances from these modern machines