2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

harty71 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 15:25

I don't think these sort of things really have a bearing on how you perform once you are strapped in and in charge of a flying machine, negative thoughts soon leave your head once you are experiencing sensations that a F1 car brings.

What races did you compete in?

1. How exactly do you know what has a bearing or not
2. Everyone reacts differently

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

harty71 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 19:10
Mchamilton wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 18:26
harty71 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 17:51

So fair & square then, it's not Russell's fault that Hamilton didn't have the sense to pit during one of those occasions, and, do you think two podiums would have overturned the points gap, no, thought as much.
Oh yeah I forgot it's entirely the drivers decision to pit or not isn't it.
It was entirely Russell's wasn't it, race strategy awareness is part of a drivers arsenal, Russell is first class in that department.
What race are you talking about? Dutch? No driver ever pits from the lead so that scenario is irrelevant.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 00:14
harty71 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

It was entirely Russell's wasn't it, race strategy awareness is part of a drivers arsenal, Russell is first class in that department.
What race are you talking about? Dutch? No driver ever pits from the lead so that scenario is irrelevant.
Brazil 2019

harty71
harty71

f1jcw wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 23:11
harty71 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 15:25

I don't think these sort of things really have a bearing on how you perform once you are strapped in and in charge of a flying machine, negative thoughts soon leave your head once you are experiencing sensations that a F1 car brings.

What races did you compete in?

1. How exactly do you know what has a bearing or not
2. Everyone reacts differently
1. I've competed in both athletics and football at a decent level, once it's game mode negative thoughts soon disappear out of your head.
2. If that's the case then that's a character flaw on his behalf, especially if it affects performance.

harty71
harty71

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 00:14
harty71 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

You do if you use your brain and realize the cars behind you will be on fresh tyres.

Mattchu

Don`t come here for a while and then when you do it`s the same people spouting the same stuff over and over! The place had really gone to the dogs!

harty71
harty71

Mattchu wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 15:18
Don`t come here for a while and then when you do it`s the same people spouting the same stuff over and over! The place had really gone to the dogs!
Driver dynamics and rivalry is a fascinating discussion. Russell has confirmed that the talk of Hamilton carrying out extreme setup changes for the benefit of the team was just a myth. The facts are both drivers were trying things and Russell got a better handle on things when the car was at it's most difficult. He beat Hamilton over the course of the season fair & square.

pursue_one's

harty71 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 16:37
Mattchu wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 15:18
Driver dynamics and rivalry is a fascinating discussion. Russell has confirmed that the talk of Hamilton carrying out extreme setup changes for the benefit of the team was just a myth. The facts are both drivers were trying things and Russell got a better handle on things when the car was at it's most difficult. He beat Hamilton over the course of the season fair & square.
I'm not sure if he's telling the truth though.
Let's see how it goes next year.

dans79

pursue_one's wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 18:19
Yea, specially when his boss is saying this!
Asked specifically about the points gap between Russell and Hamilton, the 50-year-old Austrian replied: “Irrelevant. They are not racing for a World Championship, they haven’t raced for victories apart from Brazil.
197 104 103 7

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

dans79 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 18:32
pursue_one's wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 18:19
Yea, specially when his boss is saying this!
Asked specifically about the points gap between Russell and Hamilton, the 50-year-old Austrian replied: “Irrelevant. They are not racing for a World Championship, they haven’t raced for victories apart from Brazil.
I think I am speaking for the majority when I say (not to you) “who the f**k cares”.

Really, who cares? They had the smallest speed differential between the two of any teammate pairing. I don’t understand pairing ones identity to some racing driver;
“Well my guy beat your guy so I technically beat you then”.

chrisc90

Its strange though, because before there were loads of people coming out and saying the points difference was down to 'trying more radical setups', you cant compare fairly.

But now that George has come out and said that they were both trying different things, its suddenly not ok to be mentioning it and George is telling a little lie?

From what ive read, it seems the playing field at Mercedes HQ was fully equal throughout the season.

harty71
harty71

chrisc90 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 20:19
Its strange though, because before there were loads of people coming out and saying the points difference was down to 'trying more radical setups', you cant compare fairly.

But now that George has come out and said that they were both trying different things, its suddenly not ok to be mentioning it and George is telling a little lie?

From what ive read, it seems the playing field at Mercedes HQ was fully equal throughout the season.
That's it in a nutshell, some folk have a lot of nerve calling Russell a liar. As for the result not meaning much, what utter hogwash, beating the most successful driver of all time in your first season with the team is a monumental achievement.

Mattchu

Exactly Hoffman, Merc didn`t bring Russell into the main team just to be average, they see him as the future and know full well how fast he actually is...

During lockdown I remeber seeing him a few times in virtual racing and thought, wow, this lad is destined for the top table, as was Lando Norris, they both are the future of F1 along with Charles, Max, etc.

We now have a few elder statesman in Alonso, Hamilton, Bottas and Perez, Max driving better than he ever has, some young fresh drivers looking to improve and some decent pair ups...next years driver line ups look to me, the best we`ve seen in many years, I just wish they`d get rid of those daft wheel covers!

And...they`re off, give it a rest...

dans79

harty71 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 21:00
As for the result not meaning much, what utter hogwash, beating the most successful driver of all time in your first season with the team is a monumental achievement.
Rosberg beet Schumacher 3 years in a row, but that also means nothing without context!

2010 - 142 vs 72
2011 - 89 vs 76
2012 - 93 vs 49
197 104 103 7

chrisc90

Problem with context is you can always find something in order to support one or the other.

We dont have a championship that's decided on context, its decided on who scores the most points. Those who scored more points did better overall. If you bring context into it, you would never get a table sorted out, because Driver A would argue that they had Case A and Driver B would argue their case against Driver A and say that Case A is irrelevant in some shape or form.

Score more points in a season, you finish higher. There aint no championship trophies for finishing below 3rd.

Did Russell score more points than Hamilton. Yes he did - FACT. Was he a better driver - Opinion - NON FACT. Simples.