[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

variante wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 02:32
CAEdevice wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:42
Koldskaal wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:38
This is my first time winning the title :D I came 2nd in both 2019 and 2020
I was convinced you already won in 2019! Anyway, three years at the top, congratulations!
YOU won in 2019! :lol:
I was thinking about releasing a summary of all previous seasons' results. Seems like it's quite needed...
I'm only missing some data from the first year, 2013.

PS: good year everyone!

Funny! I was convinced that Koldskaal won, because in 2019 I tried to 3d print its car as prize. That is correct because I usually exclude my team from assigning the prize. I remeber I won some titles but I am not sure when: I definitely need the summary 😅

Happy new year!

LVDH

Congratulations to Koldskaal and everyone that took part into the championship. Also many thanks to Max and Christian for bringing the championship back to life. I think we can discuss what we want next in this other separate thread. Obviously the most important issue it to open up the rake feature in MantiumFlow for you guys. I will try to implement a hall of fame into the page the coming days, I also have no idea anymore who won all the championships.
You can find the full results of this race posted on the page. I will try to send out the reports this week. I think it is then also more than time to see the floors of all the cars, or what do you think?

variante

LVDH wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 13:40
I think it is then also more than time to see the floors of all the cars, or what do you think?
Sounds good.

variante

Some history for you.

Data might not be 100% accurate. Let me know about errors, or whether you have the missing data.

"Race 0 - Sep 2012" took place in September 2012, and its points were not counted in the 2013 championship.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 21:46
Some history for you.
https://i.imgur.com/e29jvWo.png

Data might not be 100% accurate. Let me know about errors, or whether you have the missing data.

"Race 0 - Sep 2012" took place in September 2012, and its points were not counted in the 2013 championship.
Thanks! So Variante is the top winning team, I would have bet 😀

I also remeber the impressive cars by CSR, I am sorry we we have lost sight of him.

Koldskaal

Thank you guys so much!
Here is my development over the season:
Red arrows indicate the geometries I submitted. The ones in the grey box were run with the wrong rideheight (If you remember in the beginning of the season). Also, I ended up submitting the same car for round 4 and 5. From the looks of it, I subscribe to the same strategy as Max. I only make small changes, and run lots of simulations.

Again this season, cooling was a very important factor. So, here is something some of you might wanna consider. I added turningvanes to help redirect the air into the radiator
This is the U: 0->20 m/s slice.
They are essentially wings at 0 aoa, so it adds a little downforce with negligible drag. The upwash also helps with cooling. From the results:
radiator_turningvanes_v3 - Cd: 0.000084, Cl: -0.051, Cl/Cd: -608

I would be very interested in hearing what the rest of you guys think about the bargeboards/floor fences
imo, there is little reason to add another fence when the front tyre wake looks like this ^
How did you guys manage the tyre wake? I see many of you floor fences way further outboard compared to mine.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

beschadigunc

Koldskaal wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 20:14
Thank you guys so much!
Here is my development over the season:
https://i.imgur.com/WBksATa.png
Red arrows indicate the geometries I submitted. The ones in the grey box were run with the wrong rideheight (If you remember in the beginning of the season). Also, I ended up submitting the same car for round 4 and 5. From the looks of it, I subscribe to the same strategy as Max. I only make small changes, and run lots of simulations.

Again this season, cooling was a very important factor. So, here is something some of you might wanna consider. I added turningvanes to help redirect the air into the radiator
https://i.imgur.com/Ppi3Vk3.png
This is the U: 0->20 m/s slice.
They are essentially wings at 0 aoa, so it adds a little downforce with negligible drag. The upwash also helps with cooling. From the results:
radiator_turningvanes_v3 - Cd: 0.000084, Cl: -0.051, Cl/Cd: -608

I would be very interested in hearing what the rest of you guys think about the bargeboards/floor fences
https://i.imgur.com/vVEzCHT.png
imo, there is little reason to add another fence when the front tyre wake looks like this ^
How did you guys manage the tyre wake? I see many of you floor fences way further outboard compared to mine.
Great work man , the last picture really shows we need to increase and make the tyre wake more realistic

LVDH

These are some cool posts. I have some images that should help a bit more:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2022/
I think, not only the floor pressures are of interest but also what is happening on the front and rear wings.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 11:31
These are some cool posts. I have some images that should help a bit more:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... images.gif
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2022/
I think, not only the floor pressures are of interest but also what is happening on the front and rear wings.
Thanks, very interesting. I feel like I'm being watched while I'm in my underwear, but it's intriguing that others are in the same situation.

The floor of Variante and above all of GRaph explains their super performances.

PS: is it my problem or are the images on the official site blocked?

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 20:14
Yeah, not much of a point using many bargeboards for that reason.
My final strategy was to:
- use the inner board to control mass flow under the floor and generate a vortex.
- use the intermediate board to "encourage" the vortex shedding on the inner board.
- use the outer board to control pressure on the outer section of the floor.

All my focus was on generating downforce around the diffuser. In hindsight, i might have tried to extract some more performance directly from the bargeboard area like some of you did. I also stuck to the official F1 angle limit of the bargeboards (50°) because i thought it was enough, but seeing the latest images maybe it wasn't the best idea.

LVDH wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 11:31
I have some images that should help a bit more:
Nice comparison but, as CAEdevice said, the slideshow on the website seems broken (Firefox and Edge).
My Silverstone HTML report is also broken (images not in their compact form and numbers not visible).

BlueCheetah66

Was there ever a requirement for the central tub section of the floor to be a certain size?

variante

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 15:14
Was there ever a requirement for the central tub section of the floor to be a certain size?
No, it just needs to accommodate the mandatory engine, transmission etc.
But it's not particularly convenient to make it too thin anyway.

beschadigunc

Soo when can we expect to see some proper undertray Analysis from the competitors :D

LVDH

variante wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 14:23
Nice comparison but, as CAEdevice said, the slideshow on the website seems broken (Firefox and Edge).
Yes, somehow the image slider plugin does not work anymore. I have no idea why and cannot fix it. For now, I updated the post with the latest CFD images, using a different slider plugin. Using it is very inconvenient though, so I cannot just update everything. We will have to wait for the main slider plugin to get fixed...

variante wrote:
My Silverstone HTML report is also broken (images not in their compact form and numbers not visible).
This is a mistake on my side and is at least easy to fix. If you look into the folder containing the html file, you are trying to open, you will see that there is no css.css file. Just copy paste it from an older report and put it into the folder. This file actually never changes.

LVDH

LVDH wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 18:28
variante wrote:
Yes, somehow the image slider plugin does not work anymore. I have no idea why and cannot fix it. For now, I updated the post with the latest CFD images, using a different slider plugin. Using it is very inconvenient though, so I cannot just update everything. We will have to wait for the main slider plugin to get fixed...
Well, I found the issue with the slider...
This forum needs a smiley that throws up.
Somehow after an update, it removed the sliding type and switched to a very strange default. Now I have to manually change it for every single slider...