General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Alexf1

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Wazari wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 23:10
Trying to optimize the ERS is the main focus at this point for next season.
Thanks, how many volts is the RBPT/Honda ERS running? They say Ferrari is between 800 and 900 Volts since Turkey 2021 where 1.000 Volts is the regulated max. according to this article: https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/10/ ... component/

restless

mzso wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 13:31
The only place where EV's cant be charged is where there's no electricity. Rapid charging is of no significance. Only needed for people going on really long trips.
You have it backward with major cities. People with their own houses are the first to buy EVs and pretty much all charge at home. They way this would logically develop is parking lot charging (not rapid charging) would be more commonplace wherever you park your car when you're at home or at your workplace.
beg your pardon, but how charging in big cities /europe/ is going to work?
Living in big city where all the people have their own houses... you must be dreaming or something.
How to change current infrastructure to accomodate hundreds of thousand cars being charged at night... I wont even touch it.

etusch

Lets assume that someone found a battery tech that can be charged same time with fulling a gassoline fuel tank. Now there is no shortcomming with EV cars. How much electric production will be needed if the same count of car which are going gas stations in these days, wanted to full their charge in a given time? Especially winter or summer times which air conditioners used very much?

AR3-GP

etusch wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 14:26
Lets assume that someone found a battery tech that can be charged same time with fulling a gassoline fuel tank. Now there is no shortcomming with EV cars. How much electric production will be needed if the same count of car which are going gas stations in these days, wanted to full their charge in a given time? Especially winter or summer times which air conditioners used very much?
Slightly off topic, and I don't know what the answer to this question is, but there was a time people traveled by horse and carriage. The gasoline car was invented. Eventually the petrol station was ubiquitous. If the EV "makes it", then infrastructure to support it's demands will follow. Just like the gasoline car.

etusch

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 15:38
etusch wrote:
Slightly off topic, and I don't know what the answer to this question is, but there was a time people traveled by horse and carriage. The gasoline car was invented. Eventually the petrol station was ubiquitous. If the EV "makes it", then infrastructure to support it's demands will follow. Just like the gasoline car.
I was expecting an answer like this. Of course if there is more electric demand there will more supply but it is not like petrol. And it is not only production thing(which will not be clean as claimed). I don't think current electricity distribution line(so to say) is enought to take over so much power transition. We can find most of the tech today at science fiction movies. But at the end future can be different than expected. I just don't expect more fully electric car than ice equipped ones.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 17:33
AR3-GP wrote:
etusch wrote:
I was expecting an answer like this. Of course if there is more electric demand there will more supply but it is not like petrol. And it is not only production thing(which will not be clean as claimed). I don't think current electricity distribution line(so to say) is enought to take over so much power transition. We can find most of the tech today at science fiction movies. But at the end future can be different than expected. I just don't expect more fully electric car than ice equipped ones.
Imagine if a supermarket or sports hall covered the roof with panels. short runs to the parking area and lots of cash for them free once costs are covered.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP

etusch wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
etusch wrote:
I'm unsure what is confusing. If people want to buy it, you can bet capitalism will be sure the infrastructure is in place. Also, I never said the electricity would be "clean" and I'm not weighing in on whether EVs are better or not. I'm only making it clear that there isn't really any technological barrier towards "Everyone charging their car at the same time" even though such a "requirement" is a bit of a fallacy in of itself for many reasons.

mrluke

restless wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 15:20
mzso wrote:
The only place where EV's cant be charged is where there's no electricity. Rapid charging is of no significance. Only needed for people going on really long trips.
You have it backward with major cities. People with their own houses are the first to buy EVs and pretty much all charge at home. They way this would logically develop is parking lot charging (not rapid charging) would be more commonplace wherever you park your car when you're at home or at your workplace.
Living in big city where all the people have their own houses... you must be dreaming or something.
How to change current infrastructure to accomodate hundreds of thousand cars being charged at night... I wont even touch it.
Looks like we're on a tangent but the point is if wherever it is you park your car over night, also charges it, then you car will have a full battery every morning and it doesnt matter if it took 9 hours to get that way.

For me I think the Uber model is more likely in the future, people dont want the expense / hassle / licensing or parking spaces for cars. An autonomous uber fleet that picks you up and takes you wherever on some sort of subscription model would probably tick a lot of boxes for most people.

etusch

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 21:20
etusch wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I'm unsure what is confusing. If people want to buy it, you can bet capitalism will be sure the infrastructure is in place. Also, I never said the electricity would be "clean" and I'm not weighing in on whether EVs are better or not. I'm only making it clear that there isn't really any technological barrier towards "Everyone charging their car at the same time" even though such a "requirement" is a bit of a fallacy in of itself for many reasons.
I didn't say you said it is clean. I also don't hate electric cars( I prefer hybrid or ice). But you know they say it is clean, some governments says we will ban ice vehicles etc. My objective is these are wrong and nkt based on realities. Ice's will be there according to me.
I assumed electric car will be charged as fast as gasoline car but will it be?
Once I postponed getting fuel bypassing a few gas station. I said I will stop next one. I was going a hotel and it was at a village. ( I was lazy about fueling for 15 minute) I was following navi to go target. When I realised that I turned to village road without fueling it was too late, it was winter and kept going by hoping there will be a gas station. But no it just got worse, lesser buildings, a few small villages. I drove carefully almost no brake, no stop. Finally I reached the target village which is the only place you cna finsid gas station. when I fueled I get 49.750 lt fuel. My tank is 50 lt. If it were little bit far away it would be disaster 😁

mzso

restless wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 15:20
mzso wrote:
You need charging connection and that's it. The infrastructure doesn't need to change much.

AR3-GP

It's also not as efficient, but in theory wireless charging hardware can be embedded in new city streets.

mzso

etusch wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
etusch wrote:
It's as clean s you want it to be. As a matter of fact it's cleaner to burn the oil to generate electricity than to use them in ICE car.
The current electricity infrastructure is ample enough for a lot. At night time it's barely used. A lot of cars could be topped up over the hours it's parked at home or wherever it's parked when not used, which is most of the time.

Wouter

. . . HONDA . . .
The Power of Dreams

The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

This has now begun with a call for expressions of interest published by the FIA, intended to identify “one or more new F1 teams” to compete from the start of the 2025, 2026 or 2027 season.

The F1 grid is capped at 12 teams under the current Concorde Agreement, the commercial contract teams agree with F1, which runs to the end of the 2025 season.

If a team were to join in 2025 it may only have to pay the current anti-dilution fund cost of $200million instead of a much higher fee that could be implemented in the next Concorde Agreement.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/fia-star ... y-as-2025/

Would Honda put in an entry for 2025, so they can pay the lower FOM fee, presumably with an intention to (finally) have a permanent works team in Formula One? [Who knows what would have happened if Honda had stayed permanently in Formula One since the 1960's!]

Would Honda choose to set up their team in England or in Italy? In order to save capital costs, perhaps the entire car could be designed and built in Sakura using an existing wind tunnel in Japan, and the facility in Europe (be it near Silverstone or somewhere in Italy) would just be responsible for assembling and running the car -- like with MotoGP or like how Andretti plans to compete? :?:

Of course, this all assumes that the expected deal for Ford to rebadge the RBPT units and supply ERS for RBPT is confirmed, and that Honda will not partner with Red Bull in the new set of regulations.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 02 Feb 2023, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP

The last Honda F1 team was stationed in the UK.

Imo, the window is fast closing for Honda which is sad.

They needed to collaborate with Red Bull or Andretti. Unfortunately, bureaucracy is to blame for losing their seat at the table.