McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Macklaren

Re: McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

This thread needs some PhilipM intel. Where's my bat signal?

PhillipM

You know I only spoke to someone today, about the only thing I got out of them is they've been looking at the microtube intercoolers the same as Merc use - but wouldn't actually say if they're using them or not.

Might be a repackage of the sidepods now they've got chance to do a clean slate design with the newer versions they ended last year on, at a guess.

AR3-GP

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 01:07
You know I only spoke to someone today, about the only thing I got out of them is they've been looking at the microtube intercoolers the same as Merc use - but wouldn't actually say if they're using them or not.

Might be a repackage of the sidepods now they've got chance to do a clean slate design with the newer versions they ended last year on, at a guess.
Well Mclaren have got to understand that the bare minimum for a championship challenge, is using the same cutting edge equipment that the big 3 are utilizing.

Seidl at least got them to build a new Windtunnel so that will be his mark on Mclaren.

_cerber1

organic

A teaser for a startup vid. They are trickling the content

f1rules

observation, by the looks of it, it seem mclaren kept the top sidepod surface very forward just like last year, they did not move backwards like most teams. Use halo att. point for reference. Now will be interesting if they go the rb route of long deep undercut or the ferrari route

_cerber1

Perhaps there will be a hybrid, the upper part of the side pontoons will be preserved from MCL 36, and the lower part will be copied from Red Bull. As I understand it, for this they need to move the lower part of the security structure, below.

Blackout

This new inlet looks rather similar to the updated Singapore version where both lips/roots are very forward and in line with the halo support, and with a very swept angle for the upper lip... (the instagram video shows more details)

Blackout

f1rules wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 08:19
they did not move backwards like most teams.
Who did this? except Mercedes which is a very special case sidepod-wise, all teams had very forward sidepod intakes except Alpine who moved them forward later in the summer.

f1rules

basicly all others, im talking about the upper part only, most had inline with cockpit entrance whereas mclaren intinially had it more forward in line with halo attachment, mclaren changed design and cut out a piece at the end of the year which looks to be carried over this year, but others didnt change design, theirs was just more rearward from the beginning, but offcourse not mercedes extreme level rearward

the EDGE

It’s alive…

organic

PhillipM

Okay, the merc-style intercooler pack is on a bench in the background so I guess that answers that one :lol:

organic

the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:51
Okay, the merc-style intercooler pack is on a bench in the background so I guess that answers that one :lol:
Sorry Philip, but for those of us that are not as technically minded as we wish we were… What does that answer?