2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mosin123 wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 19:50
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 18:42
SiLo wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 14:59

I thought this was Lewis' choice because he wanted the colour? Pretty sure there were reports about it.
So all these years he used a black t-cam, but suddenly for 2022 he wanted the "color"? :wink:

I rather think the real answer is more complex, but I'll leave it at that.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... ew-f1-lid/
Interesting. I suppose it's much more positive that Hamilton claimed it for himself. My alternative explanation involves Merc pre-empting a 2006 style changing of the guard. It's hard to trust what people say in F1.

wogx

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 01:17
One could say that about 8 of the current F1 teams.
I don't see such a pairing (GOAT, ending his F1 career sooner than later vs. a young, talented, promising gun) in any other F1 team this season.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

AR3-GP

wogx wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 02:42
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 01:17
One could say that about 8 of the current F1 teams.
I don't see such a pairing (GOAT, ending his F1 career sooner than later vs. a young, talented, promising gun) in any other F1 team this season.
Intra-team rivalry exist regardless of how fast the car is. My understanding of your initial point was lamenting the lack of a battle to the end last year. Such a gap could be filled by a few teams, not just Mercedes.

wogx

Prost–Senna rivalry at the top was more thrilling than Grosjean-Magnussen :)

Exactly a decade ago, on January 24, 2013, Lewis Hamilton officially arrived at the Mercedes factory. This is what his first day at his new workplace looked like. At the time of his contract, he was just a one-time world champion (2008), but over the next few years he dominated F1 by winning six additional titles (2014-15, 2017-20).

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

SiLo

Mosin123 wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 19:50
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 18:42
SiLo wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 14:59

I thought this was Lewis' choice because he wanted the colour? Pretty sure there were reports about it.
So all these years he used a black t-cam, but suddenly for 2022 he wanted the "color"? :wink:

I rather think the real answer is more complex, but I'll leave it at that.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... ew-f1-lid/
Relevant bit:
The yellow on the camera pods is generally used to identify the second driver in a team. However, for Hamilton, it is a mark of visibility for his fans when he is out on the circuit.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

Are we suggesting that fans are daft enough to not know which driver has the yellow camera?

I mean if the other driver has the yellow cam, you know it’s that driver. The one without the yellow is your favourite driver.

Not like it’s a whole spectrum of colours. It’s either yellow or black.

That phrase has literally zero foundation at all

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 12:13
In Ferrari it was Sainz who was treated as no 1 driver, Leclerc never got preferrential strategy or any treatment.
That will change this year with Vaseur who seems more clinical and decisive than Binotto. He will let Leclerc be #1.
I suspect there will be tears in the Sainz camp and he may well leave Ferrari in 2024 and go to Redbull?

But back to Mercedes, yes they have the stronger pairing, but the lack of #1 can cause trouble. As for speed, I think Hamilton has Russel covered in both qualifying and race pace, but Russel is no slouch. It will be similar to Nico Rosberg. Because overtaking is still difficult, if GR has a better weekend with setup or qualy, even if Lewis has more pace, it may be dificult to overtake in the same car.
For Sure!!

ringo

Chuckjr wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 21:23
I think the most insightful thought I read here (and I can’t remember where I read it to give proper credit due) about the driver situation brewing at Merc, was that George still has time to find in his craft (obviously), but Lewis does not.

So it will be extremely interesting to find out what happens if George indeed finds another quarter second in quali and race pace this year, because the potential is there. Lewis isn’t going to find a quarter second of craft. He’s using it to the max to keep pace. It really is an interesting situation coming about at Merc...heh heh heh. 👍😁
I do not think there is any evidence towards that. Both will find time, remember it is a new car for both. We see that the cars were very understeery. If we look at the redbull, Max seemed to be on Checo's level at the start, and he has been in a redbull for almost a decade. You would think he blew his wad and there was no more give, but just by improving balance and reducing weight Max was able to apply his skills more to get more speed out of the car.
Saying this to say it will be the same with Hamilton. He wont forget to drive fast overnight, once the car is where he wants it, he will wax stronger in the car. George will improve as well, but I do not think it is a case where one grows and other stops. Alonso has changed perceptions on age. Once the driver maintains fitness and still has his god given talent, they will still be potent.
For Sure!!

pursue_one's

Helmut Marko:“James Vowles went [to Williams] of his own accord and – so it is said – is even taking good technicians with him. My sources tell me that’s why the mood at Mercedes is tense. But I still believe that Mercedes will be our biggest challenger when it comes to defending our title.”

https://www.sport1.de/news/motorsport/f ... d-mercedes

AR3-GP

i don't see what the issue is. How can you begrudge him for moving to a TP role. No one has done anything wrong. TP is just not a role that comes around often. Same reason why indycar teams let their drivers leave for F1.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:14
i don't see what the issue is. How can you begrudge him for moving to a TP role. No one has done anything wrong. TP is just not a role that comes around often. Same reason why indycar teams let their drivers leave for F1.
There did not seem to be a role he could rise to in Merc. He had little option other than move teams.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE

pursue_one's wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 15:54
Helmut Marko:“James Vowles went [to Williams] of his own accord and – so it is said – is even taking good technicians with him. My sources tell me that’s why the mood at Mercedes is tense. But I still believe that Mercedes will be our biggest challenger when it comes to defending our title.”

If that’s what Marko is saying, then in my book, it’s clear evidence that Vowels is still a Mercedes man & the mood is good

AR3-GP

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:35
pursue_one's wrote:

If that’s what Marko is saying, then in my book, it’s clear evidence that Vowels is still a Mercedes man & the mood is good
Does it also mean Mercedes and Hamilton won't be their biggest challenger? Or is he only lying when it's inconvenient :wink:

the EDGE

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:41
the EDGE wrote:
pursue_one's wrote:

Does it also mean Mercedes and Hamilton won't be their biggest challenger? Or is he only lying when it's inconvenient :wink:
Everything that comes out of that man’s mouth is spin… but F1 staff will always talk up their competitors… even RB’s… that’s part of the spin

AR3-GP

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:51
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:41
the EDGE wrote:

Everything that comes out of that man’s mouth is spin… but F1 staff will always talk up their competitors… even RB’s… that’s part of the spin
So would the way to interpret it to be to assume Ferrari will be the nearest rival and Marko is just trying to tick them off by downplaying them? That would make sense as Ferrari will not be pleased to be dismissed.