2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 02:43
Hamilton is certainly a well known name, but I question some of the commentary here. The way it's been explained to me above, no one would capable of selling cars without Hamilton :wink:

Without seeing any data, it's hard to understand one way or the other.

I'm sure he's creating a lot of brand awareness in the cities where the GP is held but I don't know if this is unique as the same applies to the other manufacturers.
Exactly. Almost seems like Mercedes never sold a car before Hamilton joined the F1 team.

TBH, and as a big car enthusiast, I dont link any of the supercars to that of any iconic driver, F1, rallying, or any other driving sport.

Infact - it would be interesting to see which iconic drivers have formed part of the advertising campaign to sell these high end cars. Any video campaigns or articles of these drivers promoting the cars would be good to see...if they even exist.

Tiny73

For these kind of HyperCars I’d expect you get a factory visit, personalised options fitted to your form and shape and likely a meet’n’greet with some or more of the F1 team in some way. It might not be why you buy the car (that’s likely to be related to its investment potential) but it would certainly make you more brand loyal and be a good story to boot.

AR3-GP

One way that I've seen a driver provide value is to auction off a car that he owned for charity. A car from a WDC is a collectible.

Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 00:07
AR3-GP wrote:
Hamilton is certainly a well known name, but I question some of the commentary here. The way it's been explained to me above, no one would capable of selling cars without Hamilton :wink:

I'm sure he's creating a lot of brand awareness in the cities where the GP is held but I don't know if this is unique as the same applies to the other manufacturers.
Exactly. Almost seems like Mercedes never sold a car before Hamilton joined the F1 team.

TBH, and as a big car enthusiast, I dont link any of the supercars to that of any iconic driver, F1, rallying, or any other driving sport.

Infact - it would be interesting to see which iconic drivers have formed part of the advertising campaign to sell these high end cars. Any video campaigns or articles of these drivers promoting the cars would be good to see...if they even exist.

chrisc90

Well he isn’t even driving the first one at silverstone, just walking past the F1 car.

The other one just looks a motor show video?

Any actual advertisement that Lewis is ‘selling the car’?

Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:46
Well he isn’t even driving the first one at silverstone, just walking past the F1 car.

Unveiling the car for its first ever viewing is not advertising it? ok.

chrisc90

Mosin123 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 13:18
chrisc90 wrote:

It’s hardly anything special. Why not have the first drive of it? Why not do a talking piece on it? Given this man is the face of Mercedes.

Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 13:19
Mosin123 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 13:18
chrisc90 wrote:

It’s hardly anything special. Why not have the first drive of it? Why not do a talking piece on it? Given this man is the face of Mercedes.
Why does he need to? those who could afford its price tag dont need to be told about it, they got a free tour + fitting + everything they could ask for visit at the facotrys before they had even finished building it. Not going to make a tv advertisment to sell some thing already brought, to a population of people who cant afford, or even buy it. because they are limited + pre ordered + out of 99 % of the populations bugdet? lol ok. just standing next to it, is his job done. have you not seen LH's adverts? he very very very rarely says any thing.... most are just him walking around wearing the brand name, Cant seen Petronas advertising either, why do i need oil n gas, they are brought for me by my supplier, but they pay LH 65 mill a year just to wear the badge on his racing gear, for some prospective, they only pay merc 75 mill to be the teams main sponsor.

mrluke

chrisc90 wrote:

Is this what you're looking for?

mendis

It's really pity to see how silly the attempts are to build commercial viability of a driver. Mercedes is a global brand, far bigger than Lewis is and AMG ONE is limited edition, collectible piece of which, only 245 pieces have been made. There is no need for marketing or advertising it like a FMCG goods.

The point of debate was, the rumoured negotiations about a hefty remuneration and beyond the performance on the track, how does Lewis' commercial viability help Mercedes generate back such huge sum. Especially now that they have a fast and young protege of Mercedes driving alongside. He hasn't brought any sponsorship with him that is worth millions. Randomly someone introduced AMG ONE topic to boost the commercial viability part. I still don't see the answer.

chrisc90

mendis wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 14:21
It's really pity to see how silly the attempts are to build commercial viability of a driver. Mercedes is a global brand, far bigger than Lewis is and AMG ONE is limited edition, collectible piece of which, only 245 pieces have been made. There is no need for marketing or advertising it like a FMCG goods.

The point of debate was, the rumoured negotiations about a hefty remuneration and beyond the performance on the track, how does Lewis' commercial viability help Mercedes generate back such huge sum. Especially now that they have a fast and young protege of Mercedes driving alongside. He hasn't brought any sponsorship with him that is worth millions. Randomly someone introduced AMG ONE topic to boost the commercial viability part. I still don't see the answer.
Agree. These people were saying that Lewis is the reason people went out and bought the AMG 1, but it really doesn’t look like it

101FlyingDutchman

It doesn’t hurt. Quite rightly Lewis is an icon of the sport and in general a role model to society and younger generations. I don’t agree with some stuff he’s done in recent years but I generally quite like the fact he’s his own independent man.
Hopefully he keeps fighting the good fight rather than becoming too Hollywood-esque. The AMG ONE would have sold regardless but having your most successful F1 driver associated with it, won’t have hurt. For a lot of people with that sort of money it isn’t even the car that they’re interested in. Networking/day outs/meet and greets are all part of the package

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Forgot about the McLaren Senna? The McLaren Mercedes Stirling Moss?

If Hamilton wins 8WDC it is almost guaranteed there will be some special hardcore AMG One made. Wont even be surprised if they name it the "AMG OctoGod." Anyway, LH is the biggest name in F1 since ever so I can't imagine Mercedes just casting him away because "he's too expensive"
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Mosin123 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 09:38
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Awesome videos! Guess we can conclude that little discussion then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mosin123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 20:21
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Forgot about the McLaren Senna? The McLaren Mercedes Stirling Moss?

If Hamilton wins 8WDC it is almost guaranteed there will be some special hardcore AMG One made. Wont even be surprised if they name it the "AMG OctoGod." Anyway, LH is the biggest name in F1 since ever so I can't imagine Mercedes just casting him away because "he's too expensive"
Was actually going to link these earlier, But came to a conclusion i was / topic was just being trolled by max / redbull fans, how can any " big car enthusiast " not know about two of the most famous Mclaren cars ever built, or even forget about the Enzo ferrari LOL. But any way,

Heres a few more - https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/vgt/fittipardi/

one of my favs with Sennas Mclaren
I think fiat did two M schumacher cars, cant remember what they was called though. Chevrolet Celta Piquet...
Tommi Mäkinen Evo?, Shelby series 1?, Impreza RB320? Brabham BT62.. this is getting silly, But im hardly a car enthusiast, But as a motorsport fan, i know off these.