2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

There was also a Jonny cecotto BMW M3.

Iconic racer names do help sell cars.

I'm a BMW fan and I never considered buying a Mercedes until after the Hybrid Era championships and how LH has added "diversity and youth" to the very German brand known for old men.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1jcw

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 02:05
There was also a Jonny cecotto BMW M3.

Iconic racer names do help sell cars.

I'm a BMW fan and I never considered buying a Mercedes until after the Hybrid Era championships and how LH has added "diversity and youth" to the very German brand known for old men.
I like E30 M3s, original Z3s and some others, a few mercs but can’t say I’d get any, the aggressive attitude from many of the drivers of them on the road would put me off and grown beyond the need to show off with a car.
Out of the pack of F1 manufacturers I’d probs just chill with a Renault.

Supporting Merc hasn’t particularly driven me to look at buying one, maybe a A class or SLK I’ve looked at, but never more then that.

RonMexico

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 20:21
chrisc90 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 00:07
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 02:43
Hamilton is certainly a well known name, but I question some of the commentary here. The way it's been explained to me above, no one would capable of selling cars without Hamilton :wink:

Without seeing any data, it's hard to understand one way or the other.

I'm sure he's creating a lot of brand awareness in the cities where the GP is held but I don't know if this is unique as the same applies to the other manufacturers.
Exactly. Almost seems like Mercedes never sold a car before Hamilton joined the F1 team.

TBH, and as a big car enthusiast, I dont link any of the supercars to that of any iconic driver, F1, rallying, or any other driving sport.

Infact - it would be interesting to see which iconic drivers have formed part of the advertising campaign to sell these high end cars. Any video campaigns or articles of these drivers promoting the cars would be good to see...if they even exist.
Forgot about the McLaren Senna? The McLaren Mercedes Stirling Moss?

If Hamilton wins 8WDC it is almost guaranteed there will be some special hardcore AMG One made. Wont even be surprised if they name it the "AMG OctoGod." Anyway, LH is the biggest name in F1 since ever so I can't imagine Mercedes just casting him away because "he's too expensive"
If Mercedes keep him around as a walking advertising board then all the better for Red Bull and Ferrari.

Hamilton doesn't have a fraction of the reach Schumacher had either. His reach was global, #44 isn't particularly popular outside of the uk and never has been.

organic

RonMexico wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 17:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Exactly. Almost seems like Mercedes never sold a car before Hamilton joined the F1 team.

TBH, and as a big car enthusiast, I dont link any of the supercars to that of any iconic driver, F1, rallying, or any other driving sport.

Infact - it would be interesting to see which iconic drivers have formed part of the advertising campaign to sell these high end cars. Any video campaigns or articles of these drivers promoting the cars would be good to see...if they even exist.

If Hamilton wins 8WDC it is almost guaranteed there will be some special hardcore AMG One made. Wont even be surprised if they name it the "AMG OctoGod." Anyway, LH is the biggest name in F1 since ever so I can't imagine Mercedes just casting him away because "he's too expensive"
If Mercedes keep him around as a walking advertising board then all the better for Red Bull and Ferrari.

Hamilton doesn't have a fraction of the reach Schumacher had either. His reach was global, #44 isn't particularly popular outside of the uk and never has been.
Lewis is big in the US iirc

I wouldn't say his pull in UK is enormous though. Lewis is a pretty divisive figure domestically

Tiny73

RonMexico wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I’d say that in the days of social media #LH44 has a country mile’s more reach than Schumacher. That’s not a comparison of drivers incidentally but more the media which both had/have at their disposal.

f1jcw

Tiny73 wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 22:22
RonMexico wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I’d say that in the days of social media #LH44 has a country mile’s more reach than Schumacher. That’s not a comparison of drivers incidentally but more the media which both had/have at their disposal.
You have to wonder why people exactly get their facts from.
I’m not sure how you value the reach of competitors? Is it by the amount of caps sold?

Tiny73

f1jcw wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 23:41
Tiny73 wrote:
RonMexico wrote:

I’m not sure how you value the reach of competitors? Is it by the amount of caps sold?
No, I think it’s more recognition that social media didn’t really exist in Schumacher's winning days. Observation and supposition if you will, and not any reflection on “my driver’s better than your driver”. F1 in Schumacher’s winning days had nothing like the audience and reach it has these days (for better or for worse) which subsequently increases the reach of Hamilton (and Verstappen and and and).

f1jcw

Tiny73 wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 23:52
f1jcw wrote:
Tiny73 wrote:

No, I think it’s more recognition that social media didn’t really exist in Schumacher's winning days. Observation and supposition if you will, and not any reflection on “my driver’s better than your driver”. F1 in Schumacher’s winning days had nothing like the audience and reach it has these days (for better or for worse) which subsequently increases the reach of Hamilton (and Verstappen and and and).
The comment wasn’t aimed at you, incase you thought, just the question.

Like it was stated MS reach was global, but Lewis’s wasn’t, and isn’t popular. I’ve never seen any facts or figures that would support either for or against this.

Mosin123

f1jcw wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 00:28
Tiny73 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Like it was stated MS reach was global, but Lewis’s wasn’t, and isn’t popular. I’ve never seen any facts or figures that would support either for or against this.
in 2000, 10 million watch the f1 championship on free to air tv around the globe, they had no facebook / twitter, no f1 tv, only 500 mill estimate people even had the internet. no sky f1 website, no f1 website, no youtube, no reddit/ zilch, nadda, nothing.......

In 2023, LH has 10 million followers on twitter and f1 has 50 + million fans in the US alone. f1 is far bigger now than it has ever been.......
Last edited by Mosin123 on 30 Jan 2023, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

JordanFiveOh

Mosin123 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
Tiny73 wrote:

in 2000, 10 million watch the f1 championship on free to air tv around the globe, they had no facebook / twitter, no f1 tv, only 500 mill estimate people even had the internet. no sky f1 website, no f1 website, no youtube, no reddit/ zilch, nadda, nothing.......

In 2023, LH has 10 million followers on twitter and f1 has 500 + million fans in the US alone. f1 is far bigger now than it has ever been.......
How many people do you think live in the US, exactly?

Mosin123

JordanFiveOh wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 01:30
Mosin123 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

In 2023, LH has 10 million followers on twitter and f1 has 500 + million fans in the US alone. f1 is far bigger now than it has ever been.......
How many people do you think live in the US, exactly?
i meant 50, ill change it.

RonMexico

Tiny73 wrote:
RonMexico wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Were you around for the Schumacher era?

Tiny73

RonMexico wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 01:53
Tiny73 wrote:
RonMexico wrote:

Were you around for the Schumacher era?
I was and was a fan too. I’m not trying to denigrate Schumacher’s achievements at all but you can’t compare the audience then (primarily F1 fans with a TV) to now (global audience with multiple media platforms in addition to TV) and say that Schumacher had more of a global presence. If you look at the LH brand it extends into far more areas than MS’ brand ever did (or could).

That said I did a bit of googling last night and depending on which source you use there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that the personal wealth of MS exceeds that of LH (and others that state LH surpassed MS only in 2021, like I say, I take them all with a shovel full of salt).

Oh and FWIW I’m not trying to pick a fight or enable a “my driver’s better than your driver” discussion. I’m simply talking about the media available to each of the two in question at the time of their dominance and, in my contention at least, LH far outweighs that of MS in terms of global reach, visibility, brand recognition etc. nothing more.

Stu

This ceased to be a thread about the AMG Petronas F1 Team several pages ago, evolving into a single driver worship-a-thon/denigration-a-thon.

WE DO NOT DO DRIVER THREADS on F1 Technical.

Thread will now be closed and Twitter-spat content removed.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.