Adverts 2023

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
johnny comelately

Re: Adverts

Steven wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 23:36
Then maybe a question: what do you guys get underneath the last post in this thread?
I have a biiiig empty grey box :wtf:
Grumpy old man shirts :lol:

organic

Steven wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 23:36
Then maybe a question: what do you guys get underneath the last post in this thread?
I have a biiiig empty grey box :wtf:

hollus

GP Pro Grand Prix online. Was local houses and decor in the page before. On desktop.
Rivals, not enemies.

TimW

Until today I had never seen a single ad on F1technical. Now I do get them on my work laptop (which has a rather cumbersome amount of corporate employee monitoring software on it). My phone is still ad free.

chrisc90

Nothing on the desktop/laptop as got adblock on my browser.

Ive only noticed the phone ones from today, hence my post.

On mobile I dont always get the top sliding down advert, it seems hit and miss with what threads it pops up on. Some it appears, some remain ad free - FIA thread or Mclaren for example.

Placement is always a tough one really in order to get engagement and not interrupt the user browsing, so hard to stick one at the top of the page under the forum sections and above the thread title as means people get that advert there every time they click a fresh link.

On mobile, at least iphone 12 pro, the lower advert takes up about 40% of the screen area - so not sure how that would work on the small display phones. Personally id say a ad around 1/2 the size it is current on ios would be adequate - however thats not my choice to make. The top sliding ad is probably about 'right' on a mobile display.

Browser on laptop id probably move the large one at bottom to under similar topics. But thats just me personally if I had to look at the site with ads on.

That being said.... I dont really think I ever notice many ads on mobile devices when browsing websites really
Last edited by chrisc90 on 01 Feb 2023, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Jesus, just turned adblock off on the laptop and get a large sliding one at the top of the screen, a one that follows your page down on the left and a large one on the bottom of the post.

Steven
Owner

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 01:14
Too much indeed. Thanks for the feedback.

Soalar

Steven wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 21:27
chrisc90 wrote:
HI Steven,

Isn't there a way we could donate to the site/forum and make it add free? I've been a long time lurker and wouldnt mind donating for all the effort over the years.

Edit: You might even get to tick some things of that ebay wish list of yours in the meanwhile :D

Stu

That is a great idea!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

Soalar wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 22:23
Steven wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
HI Steven,

Isn't there a way we could donate to the site/forum and make it add free? I've been a long time lurker and wouldnt mind donating for all the effort over the years.

Edit: You might even get to tick some things of that ebay wish list of yours in the meanwhile :D
Concur with this idea

johnny comelately

organic wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 10:29
Soalar wrote:
Steven wrote:

HI Steven,

Concur with this idea
Seeing as it is a democracy, I certainly do not concur with this idea.

Soalar

johnny comelately wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 10:35
organic wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 10:29
Soalar wrote:

HI Steven,

Concur with this idea
Seeing as it is a democracy, I certainly do not concur with this idea.
It would be a voluntary thing ofc. You decide if you want to follow the link and on the amount donated.

Wouter

Soalar wrote:
Steven wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
HI Steven,

Donate

If you simply want to show your appreciation to f1technical.net, without actively participating, you can also choose to donate through paypal. Any donation, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. You will accordingly be assigned the contributor badge on our forum.
https://www.f1technical.net/pr/collaborate.php
The Power of Dreams!

Soalar

Wouter wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 13:16
Soalar wrote:
Steven wrote:

HI Steven,

Donate

If you simply want to show your appreciation to f1technical.net, without actively participating, you can also choose to donate through paypal. Any donation, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. You will accordingly be assigned the contributor badge on our forum.
https://www.f1technical.net/pr/collaborate.php
Thank you that was very helpful.

So in regard to the advertising, what would be needed to cut out advertisement? I gather that the donation button sees hardly any use if I see the amount of ads that there are.

Steven
Owner

The amount of ads are going to reduce. The problem is that one fixed adzone currently triggers google to spawn that along with one or multiple fixed position adblocks. I haven't found how to limit that though.

But yes it's too much currently.

The donation through Paypal thingy has been there for years. It used to be in the site's footer directly and is now indeed on the contribution page. One a few very thankful members have contributed through these years, but then again we also never asked for it either.

To cover everything without any ads at all we're looking into more than a few members dropping some euros. I doubt we'll ever get there if it's like "I'll just let everybody else contribute while I enjoy an ad-free site". Then again, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Another option is to implement something that we don't show ads to people who has donated. That should be easy enough to implement I think. Other site have this similar approach as well I believe.