General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Agree never going to see Honda and GM work together. Thats a bit like Ferrari using a Mercedes PU in the back. NEVER going to happen.

Maybe Honda should have done more to work with Red Bull. Who I presume are going to still be using their PU in 2026 just with Ford doing a bit of work on the electrical system. Whether Honda or Ford will be better at that only time will tell, but id imagine the Japanese have some very knowledgable people in that neck of the woods.
It could have been that Honda still wanted to make a engine aswell as the hybrid system, which is why it hasnt worked out with the Red Bull plans after RB announced they are making their own PU.

I cant see why Honda wouldnt have wanted to partnership with the best team on the grid over the last 3-4 years. It doesnt make sense not to want your name on the car at the front winning WDC and WCC trophies. its likely Honda doesnt want to just build electrical part but wants its hands on a PU aswell.

My opinion anyway.

Bill
Bill

they are many team that Honda could theoretically work with ,Haas i dont understand why they wont drop ferrari if they became a works team with Honda money,Mclaren and and williams are ex champ so another opportunity ,Aston martin is investing big.or they can buy Alpha new management could be willing.so 5 teams could potential do business with Honda that's half the grid.

Big Tea

Bill wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 18:12
they are many team that Honda could theoretically work with ,Haas i dont understand why they wont drop ferrari if they became a works team with Honda money,Mclaren and and williams are ex champ so another opportunity ,Aston martin is investing big.or they can buy Alpha new management could be willing.so 5 teams could potential do business with Honda that's half the grid.
Its not just the engine they take from Ferrari, they would have a shedfull of extra work without the other Ferrari parts.
Probably could manage it wit a 3 year run up, but would the gains be worth the effort?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 18:12
Going to Haas would be like starting your own F1 team from scratch. Haas have little actual infrastructure of their own. All rented, and even living in an Annex in Maranello.

For Honda to go there, they immediately lose all of the Ferrari facility and pretty much just have a warehouse in Banbury where a car can be assembled and serviced. That’s not an F1 team.

Bill
Bill

Hass looks like a bridge too far ,i think the most realistic option is Mclaren when they broke up Brown said Honda should never say never about working together again.so Honda should just be professional let bygone be bygone.they got a good driver in Lando and decent team.william is another obvious choice they just need time and money.

etusch

I think only realistic option is Williams and if Aston is on sale and honda wants to buy then it also can be. A shock fır Alonso 😁
Haas is a team which can not produce own car, McLaren's only difference is they can produce. nothing more.

Big Tea

Bill wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 19:06
Hass looks like a bridge too far ,i think the most realistic option is Mclaren when they broke up Brown said Honda should never say never about working together again.so Honda should just be professional let bygone be bygone.they got a good driver in Lando and decent team.william is another obvious choice they just need time and money.
Mclaren could probably do with a stretch of stability. They have swapped engines at vital moments and taken a long time to recover
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Mclaren and Honda would work together again, most of the engineers stayed in touch it was fairly amiacable. But as Tea says, they'd be mad to change now just as their stability is paying off, but then, 3 years is a fair way away in F1 terms...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Business decisions are driven by money, not past regrets. If Honda think Mclaren PU supply can be marketable, they'll go back there.

Snorked
Snorked

Didn't Masashi Yamamoto in his recent book talk about Honda wanting to revive the Williams Honda partnership? Not sure of the timeline of his speaking, but if they do return, that seems to be the most likely option 😩

So so stupid to pull out, from a front runner to back marker. In this scenario, I wouldn't even want Honda to return as an engine supplier.

Williams are hopeless.

Some contents of the book from the description:

- Ambitions to revive "Williams Honda"
- Let's 'divorce' with McLaren
- The real intention of returning the contract with Sauber F1

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/404605 ... p13NParams

I've just searched and there were rumours about Williams having talks with Honda in 2017, so it's probably from that time period.

etusch

Snorked wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 21:12
Didn't Masashi Yamamoto in his recent book talk about Honda wanting to revive the Williams Honda partnership? Not sure of the timeline of his speaking, but if they do return, that seems to be the most likely option 😩

So so stupid to pull out, from a front runner to back marker. In this scenario, I wouldn't even want Honda to return as an engine supplier.

Williams are hopeless.

I've just searched and there were rumours about Williams having talks with Honda in 2017, so it's probably from that time period.
It is a hard job. But pulling a team which is very back from deep down to top will be better from marketing wise.Williams can go back at top, just needs to change administration and some personels. Williams family used to make a car can fight mid pack or little bit higher then just use same car until it falls very back for 3-4 years. I think there are too many guys used to work in same way there. This is why I am saying there should be some working personel changes.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The PR harm from Honda going from a leading team back to the back of the grid after finally getting up front after years of bad press, would be devastating, I don't see corporate HQ signing off on any sort of Williams deal

Mogster

PhillipM wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 20:58
Mclaren and Honda would work together again, most of the engineers stayed in touch it was fairly amiacable. But as Tea says, they'd be mad to change now just as their stability is paying off, but then, 3 years is a fair way away in F1 terms...
Surely the reputational damage suffered by Honda with McLaren would make them stay away. It was incendiary and recent enough to make the Honda bigwigs nervous.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Snorked wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 21:12

Williams are hopeless.

I too would rather Honda close the chapter and go back to Le Mans, rather than become a backmarker.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Mogster wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 22:29
PhillipM wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 20:58
Surely the reputational damage suffered by Honda with McLaren would make them stay away. It was incendiary and recent enough to make the Honda bigwigs nervous.
I don't think so, Honda left more pissed with Alonso rather than the rest of the team tbfh.