Alfa Romeo C43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: Alfa Romeo C43

Presumably a good clue as to the direction Ferrari go- looks to me like the sidepod has retained some of the “babybel” profile as a mini pod before sweeping back to the rear with the Red Bull/Aston Martin model.

I think it was James Key who said it might be a case of compromising and finding the best “mix” of approaches- this looks interesting and you can only imagine the rest of the teams will have further enhancements of what we see here- very exciting to see!

Car looks really nice too.

Holm86

Juzh wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 11:45
So this is actually the real thing? Mirrors look small(ish)?
No the mirrors are bigger than last year. But they're only about 50% wider, not taller.

MrGapes

Am I seeing something else, or is that some sort of cylindrical nozzle coming out of the splitter with a opening on the tip. Presumably for the electronics stored in the inside ofc.

SiLo

The sidepods look more like the Williams redesign from last year than anything else really. Notice how much floor is exposed though as well.
Felipe Baby!

JordanMugen

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 11:17
That floor edge though =P~
That doesn't comply with the rules, does it? :?:

It's not seen on the physical launch car anyway. It doesn't seem too different to the old car, it just now has an engine cover treatment more similar to Red Bull. *awaits expert opinion*

Edit -- It does seem to be the real car and there is more to unpick then first meets the eye! E.g., revised radiator inlet shape, sidepods that are similar to the old car yet different and not as wide or slab-sided as some of the others we have seen, a revised version of the blade-type roll hoop with an additional inlet and round upper hoop (to comply with the new roll hoop regulations?), rear radiator outlet that droops down etc.

wowgr8 wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 11:31
organic wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 11:28
And indeed the physical car has a floor edge that is nothing like the render - is that floor edge just weird artistic license??
That physical car looks like a showcar to me. The front and rear wings are very dumbed down.
I think it's the FIA show car rear wing. As to the front wing, is it last year's front wing for now?

It's definitely the real nosecone with the way it's flat and droops down like the 2022 nosecone.

It looks the front wing endplates didn't have that vane design in Abu Dhabi -- where it is now straight and then kicks up at the back.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 07 Feb 2023, 12:46, edited 3 times in total.

MrGapes

I think that floor edge is most probably artistic license, I recall Alfa having a weird stepped floor edge in last years car renders.

Venturiation
Venturiation

JordanMugen wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:33
MtthsMlw wrote:

It's not seen on the physical launch car anyway. It doesn't seem too different to the old car, it just now has an engine cover treatment more similar to Red Bull. *awaits expert opinion*
You can see it on the real physical car if you look at the shadow, they are trying to hide
This is a new loophole with the updated 2023 floor edge changes

JordanMugen

Venturiation wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:37
Typical FIA, creating loopholes when they change the regulations. #-o :lol:

MtthsMlw

MrGapes wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:16
https://ibb.co/fSVgJzH

Am I seeing something else, or is that some sort of cylindrical nozzle coming out of the splitter with a opening on the tip. Presumably for the electronics stored in the inside ofc.
Could be this

MrGapes

Venturiation wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

You can see it on the real physical car if you look at the shadow, they are trying to hide

what is this wizardry...

Blackout

I think the render is representative of the real car, like last year (the 2022 CGI car too had some 'crazy' details, like a serrated floor edge) but it was a 'legit' render.
Plus, Alfa built a new custom showcar that is based on the FOM one (that physical car), but looks very similar to this 2023 render

Rear suspensions look similar but it seems the top wishbone and pull rod moved.
(at least on the render)

As you see, the render is detailed and even the tear-drop-shaped diffuser supports are there... but not in an 'outwashy' angle :P

The very nose-up front wishbones arent new for Alfa, they had them in 2022, like RB. Are they really for "anti-dive"? Or are they mainly for aero: to downwash FW airflow towards floor mouth ?

SiLo

Could be the shadow from multiple lights shining on the smaller, three slot cut out that is present ahead of the rear wheel.

Or it is there, and its covered with a black film, like vinyl or something.

I guess those are your two options to explain that.
Felipe Baby!

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Venturiation wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

I doubt it is a loophole in the new regs, because their design would absolutely violate the section rules. I haven't read the changes in the rules but I expect they haven't gotten rid of the sections rule

JordanMugen

Is the downwards kick of the radiator outlet bodywork to increase the effective angle of attack of the beam wing (and upper side of the diffuser)? Will that be changed to a straight radiator outlet to reduce drag on circuits like Monza and Spa?

Venturiation
Venturiation

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:41
MrGapes wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:16
https://ibb.co/fSVgJzH

Could be this
https://i.imgur.com/jrFM3XU.jpg