F1 Fantasy League 2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

F1 Fantasy League 2023

New league opened for 2023!

Just like in the last few years, I've setup our league again on the fantasygp.com system.

Setup your team at https://fantasygp.com/
Find the league f1technical or go directly to https://fantasygp.com/league/?lid=1502
Join the league with code 39871502

Good luck!

chrisc90

Re: F1 Fantasy League 2023

All joined up.

Tough budget this year. Especially when Verstappen is ~7million more than anyone else.

I have my driver line up planned I think, just struggling with the cars with what I want and whats realistic budget wise.

Stu

I’m going to wait until testing before selecting my squad, if I learned one thing last year it was to carefully select your teams as driver choices can be made within the individual race predictions!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

chrisc90

I’ve gone for

Max
Alonso
De vries

Max will bring home some good points - we know that. Alonso is consistent, and I think de vries will do well in a decent midfield car

Car wise.

Mercedes - reluctantly due to budget but their drivers are consistent top 6 so should get some points there.

Aston Martin - generally ok

Alpha tauri

CMC
CMC

First timer in the Fantasy League here. I read the rules in full, but I have a question after doing so.

Does unused budget from a given week carry over and become usable during subsequent weeks?

Cheers to everyone for an enjoyable season!
Last edited by CMC on 09 Feb 2023, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Your budget will stay with you throughout the season. So if you decide to make a change, you use the 70million budget you started with at the end of the season.

From memory, I’m not sure if the prices alter with driver performance through the season, so you could lose out, or gain, on budget. But only if you make changes. I THINK!

Stu

Values do change through the year, so if a driver value increases that can be to your advantage
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

chrisc90

Stu wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 20:01
Values do change through the year, so if a driver value increases that can be to your advantage
Or disadvantage if you need to change drivers/teams!

CMC
CMC

Thanks for the answer, Chris. I think I have it now, but let me propose an example based on the team you listed, to be sure:

Prior to race 1, every contestant has $75M available to build their team (looks like paying to upgrade to a Pro Elite account increases that budget to $80M, but let's never mind that for now). From above, your team at this time is:

VER - $27.5M
ALO - $9M
DEV - $4M
~~~~~~~~~~~~
MB - $20M
AM - $8.5M
AT - $6M

all of which puts you bang-on the $75M budget with no cash left over.

After race 1, the valuation of each asset can change, although the price you paid for them didn't change. So let's just say ALO does well in Bahrain and his stock rises, while none of your other assets change in value (for simplicity of the example).

If the market value of ALO goes up to $11M after race 1, you could hypothetically sell him from your team, and now you'd have the $0 left over from your original team budget + $11M for releasing ALO. That total of $11M is your available budget to sign another driver to complete your team. Conversely, if ALO's value went down to $7M and you chose to release him, you'd only have that $7M available for a different driver, and your team's market value would then be lower than the original budget.

And I see changes are limited after the second race, and making additional changes beyond that limit costs championship points.

I think I understand, and it sounds like a good system (other than the paid upgrades, but I understand the site needs to earn money somehow). But please let me know if I've got it wrong!

chrisc90

Thats how I understand it

hollus

I think you got it right, CMC. A caveat: Last season they promised, in the rules, that no driver or team value would ever deviate more than 3M from their initial values... only for exactly that to happen.
Rivals, not enemies.

CMC
CMC

hollus wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 22:25
I think you got it right, CMC. A caveat: Last season they promised, in the rules, that no driver or team value would ever deviate more than 3M from their initial values... only for exactly that to happen.
Thanks hollus, I appreciate the input.

There is a clause like that in this rule set, also, but the way it's stated is that value changes are capped at a maximum of $3M per race (not only relative to their initial value).

"Prices will change in increments of $0.5m and any changes are capped at a maximum of $3m per race to avoid wild swings."

chrisc90

I dont really understand the driver swapping concept.

I mean if a driver is underperforming, and you swap him out, then your going to lose money, and there's a very high chance that any budget remaining is going to be either nothing or 1million. I cant see many players not having more than 1million spare. So in reality, if you swap drivers, your going to have to swap for a driver of less 'talent' in-game than the one your selling, as the chances of being able to afford a 'better' one, after you have lost money, and a chance the other driver has increased in value, are very slim.

hollus

CMC wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 23:13
hollus wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 22:25
Thanks hollus, I appreciate the input.

There is a clause like that in this rule set, also, but the way it's stated is that value changes are capped at a maximum of $3M per race (not only relative to their initial value).

"Prices will change in increments of $0.5m and any changes are capped at a maximum of $3m per race to avoid wild swings."
Ahh, thanks. Per race.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

A reminder that team changes are free until the third race (is this new? Was it the second race last year?), and then there are 6 free changes for most users.

From the rule set:
All players benefit from unlimited changes until the lockdown for the third race weekend, to allow some experimentation and then players free changes allocation will be limited, as laid out below:

Rookie/Rookie Plus – 6 free changes per season
Pro – 15 free changes per season
Pro Elite – 40 free changes per season

Every change over and above the allocation will cost 10 points. As you will quickly determine, these penalties can quickly add up.
Rivals, not enemies.