2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 20:18
What a bad excuse I am hearing. Honda had more than 2 years to create a relevant engine for the 2015 F1 Championship for Mclaren. Instead they created that engine the last minute producing a GP2 engine which blew up with the minimal amount of vibrations. Also the fact that they took them 7 years to create a good engine is a disgrace in my opinion. Finally regarding the 2021 and 2022 championships would they have managed to win them if the FIA handled the correct punishments to Red Bull for their cheating and mr. Masi following the normal F1 rules?

However despite all the above I think that third time's a charm. Zak Brown's Mclaren is a different team than the one of Ron Dennis and Honda is creating good engines for 2 years now. I think it could work much better.
Agreed. Honda didn't put anywhere near enough effort in and they were sticking to outdated working Japanese philosophies. I also remember the blatant lies they would tell in the media conference.

I like Honda history but not in the past 10 years or so. Who the hell brought up this old nonsense anyway lol.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

McG wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 13:46
Darth-Piekus wrote:
What a bad excuse I am hearing. Honda had more than 2 years to create a relevant engine for the 2015 F1 Championship for Mclaren. Instead they created that engine the last minute producing a GP2 engine which blew up with the minimal amount of vibrations. Also the fact that they took them 7 years to create a good engine is a disgrace in my opinion. Finally regarding the 2021 and 2022 championships would they have managed to win them if the FIA handled the correct punishments to Red Bull for their cheating and mr. Masi following the normal F1 rules?

However despite all the above I think that third time's a charm. Zak Brown's Mclaren is a different team than the one of Ron Dennis and Honda is creating good engines for 2 years now. I think it could work much better.
Agreed. Honda didn't put anywhere near enough effort in and they were sticking to outdated working Japanese philosophies. I also remember the blatant lies they would tell in the media conference.
I guess paying McLaren 100M to take their PU plus free PUs wasn't enough of an effort. The fact that the Honda PU is arguably the best in F1 right now is proof the effort was there. It took Honda 2 years from when the regs got freed up in 2017 to achieve respectability.
[/quote]
McG wrote:
I like Honda history but not in the past 10 years or so. Who the hell brought up this old nonsense anyway lol.
Guess you're gonna believe what you want to believe. Pick and choose history just like you do facts to suit your agenda.

McG

diffuser wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 17:31
McG wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

I guess paying McLaren 100M to take their PU plus free PUs wasn't enough of an effort. The fact that the Honda PU is arguably the best in F1 right now is proof the effort was there. It took Honda 2 years from when the regs got freed up in 2017 to achieve respectability.
McG wrote:
Guess you're gonna believe what you want to believe. Pick and choose history just like you do facts to suit your agenda.
[/quote]

Seems like you're the one with the agenda and picking what history suits that agenda. As I said in my previous post, Honda have been extremely flattered, I can't emphasise that enough. I would expect a member like you who is here a lot to understand that. Do you watch F1 or just come on this site to feel part of a community? I suggest paying more attention to F1 rather than a website.

No, 100 million and free engines is not enough. Why would you even think that? You're saying I pick and choose when it's clear it wasn't enough as Honda were still trash and you bring that up?

Experiment: Take the Honda name away from this situation and insert any F1 engine that has aslo been trash. Doesn't matter how much money they give a team, the failure is always more costly.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing and getting it all wrong.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

McG wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 18:32
diffuser wrote:
McG wrote:

McG wrote:
McG wrote:
Seems like you're the one with the agenda and picking what history suits that agenda. As I said in my previous post, Honda have been extremely flattered, I can't emphasise that enough. I would expect a member like you who is here a lot to understand that. Do you watch F1 or just come on this site to feel part of a community? I suggest paying more attention to F1 rather than a website.

No, 100 million and free engines is not enough. Why would you even think that? You're saying I pick and choose when it's clear it wasn't enough as Honda were still trash and you bring that up?

Experiment: Take the Honda name away from this situation and insert any F1 engine that has aslo been trash. Doesn't matter how much money they give a team, the failure is always more costly.

I'm not a Honda fan. So that never came into it. I just think that based on what they've shown, if the 2017 rules have been applied in 2014, they would have had a good respectable PU in 2015. Not the best but average.

Now was it there fault that they didn't read the rule book before going in, of course.

As a F1 fan what I don't like about Honda is they're in and out. It's what cost them champinionship with Brawn, it's what's costing them the RBR partnership from 2026 and behond. I also think that whoever gets in bed with them for 2026 is gonna ask for guarentees that they don't just get abandoned.

Darth-Piekus

Ron Dennis and his leadership weren't saints. That is a thing that I will agree but you must admit that Honda failed big time with Mclaren. They even recieved help but even when they left Mclaren they needed 7 years to create an engine on par with Mercedes. Also as I was saying before they did not prepare enough. These regulations were known from 2010 as Mercedes already started making their turbo hybrid engine. The agreement was done in 2013 but it was a well kept secret way earlier between Mclaren and Honda. Honda had a lot of time to create a respectable engine.

McG

diffuser wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 21:04
McG wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 18:32
diffuser wrote:

McG wrote:
McG wrote:

I'm not a Honda fan. So that never came into it. I just think that based on what they've shown, if the 2017 rules have been applied in 2014, they would have had a good respectable PU in 2015. Not the best but average.

Now was it there fault that they didn't read the rule book before going in, of course.

As a F1 fan what I don't like about Honda is they're in and out. It's what cost them champinionship with Brawn, it's what's costing them the RBR partnership from 2026 and behond. I also think that whoever gets in bed with them for 2026 is gonna ask for guarentees that they don't just get abandoned.
I like Honda outside of F1. I think they are "cool". But cool doesn't cut it in F1. You need dedication, and like you allude to, they don't have staying power which speaks volumes. Good luck to whoever takes them on. Again, I hope it isn't McLaren. But then again I don't know why I even have this McLaren avatar anymore and why I'm even here. F1 is trash.
F1 is dead.

Darth-Piekus

I would say let's give Honda another chance. The combination will be different this time.

hollus

Just for info, this thread is the 2022 McLaren team thread.
The 2023 McLaren team thread is over here: viewtopic.php?t=30895
Rivals, not enemies.