McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
edgelo
edgelo

Re: McLaren MCL60

All the cars are looking pretty the same, and the MCL60 it’s a little conservative to my eyes. From the pictures it seems that Alpha Tauri, Williams and even more Alfa Romeo have gone a little further with the concept.

That’s no necessarily bad.
Last edited by edgelo on 13 Feb 2023, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:19
Stella has already commented that there has been a particular weak area of last years car which was very difficult to address. They are not 100% satisfied with the launch spec because of this.

This mystery weakness will be addressed with updates in the upcoming months as they finally found a way to go around it.

I believe the mystery weakness is either the weak frontend (including chronic understeer) or the weak traction.

Let's hope the car starts out strong. With updates in the pipeline that should give the team a good confidence boost.
Main thing is to not have a nasty gremlin like the brake situation during testing last year… If everything in the car works as expected from the first lap, that would be already a big win… Been able to focus on development instead of problem solving is what was really missing last season (at least during the better part of the first half).

f1rules
f1rules

a interview from today or where did he say that?
Looks like the others, the williams looks maybe a bit more agressive but we all know it never bring them anything, lets hope its a good step, one worry, if they indeed made the front sus more aggressive due to aero, i hope thats not the case, id prefer a healthy mechanical layout, but lets see, its very meeh like the others, but offcourse everyone would copy rb so
Emag wrote:
Stella has already commented that there has been a particular weak area of last years car which was very difficult to address. They are not 100% satisfied with the launch spec because of this.

This mystery weakness will be addressed with updates in the upcoming months as they finally found a way to go around it.

I believe the mystery weakness is either the weak frontend (including chronic understeer) or the weak traction.

Let's hope the car starts out strong. With updates in the pipeline that should give the team a good confidence boost.

Lefty8
Lefty8

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:07
Macklaren wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:27
The sidepods on the launch car is one third Mercedes, 1/3 Ferrari and one third Red Bull
More like 90% RB, 10% Ferrari, 0% Merc.
so the engine is from where.....?

Mattchu

Nice bit of "wrapping"

Last edited by Mattchu on 13 Feb 2023, 20:51, edited 2 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Good comparison showing the amount of undercut and the flow from the tunnel entrance:

Vía: Salvatore Asero

Cs98
Cs98

Lefty8 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:42
Cs98 wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:27
The sidepods on the launch car is one third Mercedes, 1/3 Ferrari and one third Red Bull
What's the engine got to do with the shape of the sidepod? It's clearly a RB homage with some subtle Alpine/Ferrari hints with the scalloped upper ridge.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I don't see any Ferrari Mercedes influence of the sidepod.

It's a heavily RB inspired Sidepod.

djones
djones

I find those sidepods rather sexy.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:46
Lefty8 wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

What's the engine got to do with the shape of the sidepod? It's clearly a RB homage with some subtle Alpine/Ferrari hints with the scalloped upper ridge.
Idk I think the shrink wrap on the back of the sidepods is very Merc-esque. The front half of the sidepods are RBR and the top is like Ferrari. Need better pictures though

Cs98
Cs98

Macklaren wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:02
Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:46
Lefty8 wrote:

Idk I think the shrink wrap on the back of the sidepods is very Merc-esque. The front half of the sidepods are RBR and the top is like Ferrari. Need better pictures though
The rear shrink wrap was there on the RB too. The overall shape of the sidepod and packaging is extremely similar to the RB18.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:40
a interview from today or where did he say that?
Looks like the others, the williams looks maybe a bit more agressive but we all know it never bring them anything, lets hope its a good step, one worry, if they indeed made the front sus more aggressive due to aero, i hope thats not the case, id prefer a healthy mechanical layout, but lets see, its very meeh like the others, but offcourse everyone would copy rb so
Emag wrote:

I don't think he's necessarily talking about addressing a weakness, more of a direction they could have taken for more performance, but realised it late, which should now be addressed with upgrades. At least that's what I understood from it. Anyways, quote is below.

It's always difficult to translate what you see over the winter, in terms of development, into where you're going to be in terms of pecking order," added Stella.

"I think while we are happy with the development of the car in the most of the areas, there are some areas where we kind of realised some really strong directions a little late through development.

"We have not necessarily been able to capitalise on these directions in a very short term, and that's why also I talked about the developments coming for just after the start of the season.

"In this sense, I just invoke realism."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

Chuckjr

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:45
Good comparison showing the amount of undercut and the flow from the tunnel entrance:

https://i.imgur.com/ifsRm9Y.jpg

Vía: Salvatore Asero
Thank you for that comparison shot, SmallSoldier.

I really like the sculpted smooth undercut of the sidepod. It looks to me so much more streamlined and yes, this seems very RB to me. I like the higher mounted wishbone on the front suspension as maybe that will help fix their front end grip issues via leverage. The Ferrariesque scallops look outstanding and I actually dig the cannon tubes a lot of cars seem to be adapting. A really handsome car, Macca. Really. Looks to me so much more streamlined and sexy than last year. Let’s hope it’s as fast as it looks. Norris deserves a fast car. Well done Macca! 👍
Watching F1 since 1986.

Neuron
Neuron