Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 07:06
I have doubts about any vertical inlets however I think the inlet shape has been tweaked. Wider and higher:

https://i.postimg.cc/qqfqVq7d/image.png
Yes that looks correct even with the low res we have. Wider and high inlets seems to be the way most teams have gone this year.

Okay my new idea is they do something like Aston does with the outside edge of the sidepod ramp to help guide all of that clean air to the beam wing/diffuser. And rolling the outboard edge of the sidepod ramp inwards and upwards at the end would help draw the air that has gone underneath their sidepod undercut (since that feature seems to be accentuated on the rb19) between the rear tyre and diffuser

carisi2k

ringo wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 05:04
Call me crazy, but I think that car in the video has an RB18 bodyshell. The new car will be completely different.
It really looks just like the 2022 car. Nothing is different apart from front wing.
I agree. What I think is putting some people off is that there is more paint on this car because they have removed a lot of weight. The front wing is different for sure and maybe the tip of the nose but it could also be that there is now yellow paint where there was some blank carbon beforehand.

In these low res images I am not seeing anything significantly different from the RB18 aside from maybe a little nip and tuck here and there. I think people are trying to see things that aren't there and pushing that red bull will have zero pods and mid wings just to validate Mercedes but I ain't seeing any of that.

avantman
avantman

Look at the rear wing! (clickable)

Are they aiming at lowering drag and maximizing the DRS delta?

iHill
iHill

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 07:06
I have doubts about any vertical inlets however I think the inlet shape has been tweaked. Wider and higher:

https://i.postimg.cc/qqfqVq7d/image.png
I have the same feeling. RB will go with very a wide and very thin sidepod inlets.

organic

avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 09:32
https://ibb.co/sWdTpWb

What about the rear wing in this photo? Every wing is designed to minimize drag and maximize drs delta with a given downforce target ...

avantman
avantman

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 10:15
avantman wrote:

What about the rear wing in this photo? Every wing is designed to minimize drag and maximize drs delta with a given downforce target ...
look at the end plate - flap merging area so to say, quite severe angle I would say. certainly doesn't look like a common design to me.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Looks just like artifacting from video compression to me, you can't really tell anything.

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 05:28
Are Red Bull the first team to actually manage to carry out a pre-season in secret? These 144p photos leave something to be desired....
Considering that as soon as testing starts next week, we'll see high resolution images from the whole car, this hide and seek game coupled with their so called launch is ridiculous.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 16:49
AR3-GP wrote:
Are Red Bull the first team to actually manage to carry out a pre-season in secret? These 144p photos leave something to be desired....
Considering that as soon as testing starts next week, we'll see high resolution images from the whole car, this hide and seek game coupled with their so called launch is ridiculous.
Considering the compressed pre-season and first race in only 14 days time, it's an extra 2 weeks of time bought before ideas are copied. Who knows how much that will be worth come the end of the season.

Henk_v
Henk_v

...something you'd only do if you're quite certain you can steal the show next week.

Last week was jam-packed with releases. The spotlight on any car lasting 2 days max. By now, testing will be between 9 "old news" cars and Red Bull. So I think they're doing a great job in getting themselves a special place amongst the other teams.

..or they found a really easy to copy trick...

f1316
f1316

Henk_v wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 17:10
...something you'd only do if you're quite certain you can steal the show next week.

Last week was jam-packed with releases. The spotlight on any car lasting 2 days max. By now, testing will be between 9 "old news" cars and Red Bull. So I think they're doing a great job in getting themselves a special place amongst the other teams.

..or they found a really easy to copy trick...
Yeah that’s what I was thinking: for anything really inherent to the concept - ie requiring integration with the monocoque or cooling layout changes etc - there’s no need for all the secrecy. In these days of budget caps and limited CFD, no one’s going to be able to immediately copy it (if at all).

Therefore makes me think Red Bull may have some copyable little things on their car which, given only 3 days of testing and tight turnaround before Bahrain, they’re hoping to to lock in for at least one race.

Bit of a annoying farce for fans though tbh.

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 17:09
LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 16:49
AR3-GP wrote:
Considering the compressed pre-season and first race in only 14 days time, it's an extra 2 weeks of time bought before ideas are copied. Who knows how much that will be worth come the end of the season.
It will be worth nothing. :)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

avantman wrote:

This is an interesting observation. That rear wing looks very strange, but there is another photo upthread which shows a normal looking wing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

How could that be the same rear wing?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The leading edge looks interesting but a lot of that might be the vertical curvature of a spoon wing from that angle.