Adverts 2023

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
henry

Re: Adverts

I find the floating ads an issue. On my device, iPadOS 16.3/Safari, they appear at the top of the screen which can make access to the menu bar tricky, but not impossible. They’ve caused me to stop using my phone.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Steven
Owner

So I've made some changes...
  • The top sticky ads should be gone. Only bottom now (please report if this isn't the case)
  • The ads left and right as I've seen on a screenshot here (but never for me) are disabled too
Note: Quite creative settings. All defaulted on true and then numerous checkboxes to wade through :?

Is this better now?

Greg Locock

Yes that's much better for me, thanks.

Steven
Owner

Some are still reporting fixed ads at the top though

chrisc90

Steven wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 21:36
Some are still reporting fixed ads at the top though
On iphone I still get the sliding advert at the top that you can close. And the one below the reply box and above the similar topics - which I dont think you touched/changed.

On laptop I still get the top sliding one and sometimes the bottom sliding ad depending on the post or page being viewed.

Steven
Owner

I have made changes to limit the height of the ad under the last post while trying to only get fixed ads at the bottom.

Not entirely successful apparently #-o

RZS10

In browser i get a fixed one at the bottom below quick reply and above similar topics and also one with the arrow which stays visible when scrolling and can be hidden, but it's randomly at the top or the bottom
https://i.imgur.com/2tu8OTY.png

The height is also random between ads, from 87 to 130 px, means it can cover up to 1/6th of the available space on the screen
https://i.imgur.com/VZeamRh.png

The moving one also disappears when not in fullscreen (or if the browser width goes below 1920px)

correction: it disappears when the width changes from the initial one, so if the browser is initially half screen it's there and is gone when changed to fullscreen etc

hollus

This seems much improved.
At least in the computer (Firefox), I seem to all the time (in every new page) get 1 sliding ad. But only one, it comes from the top OR from the bottom. It is not too big, 15% of the screen? and it nicely slides away pressing on its tab, never to reappear until I load another page.
Similar on the iphone, with the intrusive ad coming discreetly and occupying 15% of the screen at most.
No longer fighting with multiple ones taking all the real space.

Is this the same for everyone?
Rivals, not enemies.

Steven
Owner

I hope so. Any feedback welcome!

For me it's acceptable (on desktop, I hardly browse on my mobile).
That said, in this topic, before deciding to reply, I had one on top AND one at the bottom.

I still want to get rid of the top one, always as it annoys me in related to the menu and site layout, but I have no solution yet.

chrisc90

Could you not get a avatar sort of height one that will drop in-between a post on the thread rather than the sliding ones? I know its in the way of the content, and will get less 'exposure' than the sliding ones, but could be a option?

There is of course the fact it wont work if its set to display between say posts 2-3 on a page and the user used the jump to new post feature.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 23:49
Could you not get a avatar sort of height one that will drop in-between a post on the thread rather than the sliding ones? I know its in the way of the content, and will get less 'exposure' than the sliding ones, but could be a option?

There is of course the fact it wont work if its set to display between say posts 2-3 on a page and the user used the jump to new post feature.
Personally, I far prefer adds on the end of the 'stack' of posts than in between posts.
(in my case) it is easier to read to the las post and know from there on is advertising than have to skip through between posts. (I know some may have a different preference)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 23:53
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 23:49

Personally, I far prefer adds on the end of the 'stack' of posts than in between posts.
(in my case) it is easier to read to the las post and know from there on is advertising than have to skip through between posts. (I know some may have a different preference)
Agreed, Was just throwing some ideas out there really. Its definitely a fine balance of getting it just right or being too much and not having enough it doesnt bring any money in. Then mobile and desktop situations.

djones

Hi,

This advert that slowly pops up on seemingly every page load is so annoying it makes me want to stop using the site.

It's understandable that adverts might be needed, but please make them static. Anything else is headache-inducing and there is a reason you do not see this method of delivery on any other site I can think of.

Thanks

EDIT....

Yep, sorry the site is not usable for me. This moving advert is horrific and hurts my head. I will pop back in a few days and hopefully, it's gone.

chrisc90

Full page pop ups appearing now.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
19 May 2023, 17:21
Full page pop ups appearing now.

https://ibb.co/tBhxhp8
Me too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.