Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Mercedes W14

Front wing detail (notice 3D printed winglets to aid outwash front tire wake):

Vía: AMUS

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

An angle we don’t usually see… Note the small VG’s on the raised winglet on the edge of the floor:

Vía: Albert Fabrega

MV8
MV8

Scarbs on point

Just posting

Are they running the same rear wing as yesterday?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

214270 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 11:39
Are they running the same rear wing as yesterday?
Yes

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Toto says and all that stuff - please discuss in team thread

Thanks
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

PhillipM
PhillipM

Don't trust any of the publications unless it's a direct quote from a team member and verified elsewhere. They're all too eager to twist a single throwaway comment into what they like to drive engagement.

What we have at the minute is what's on the car on track right now, better to talk about that than what any publication dreams of *might* go on the car in their heads.

mkay
mkay

The W14 seems to have ironed out porpoising, but the car is so stiffly sprung it suffers on the kerbs and also lacks rear traction out of corners.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

De Jokke wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:14
mkay wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:13
The W14 seems to have ironed out porpoising, but the car is so stiffly sprung it suffers on the kerbs and also lacks rear traction out of corners.
Can't believe they built another dud of a suspension :roll:
Suspension stiffness is a very trivial thing to modify. They aren't locked into anything. It's a matter of softer torsion bars (or whatever springing medium they are using)

zibby43
zibby43

De Jokke wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:14
mkay wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:13
Can't believe they built another dud of a suspension :roll:
Someone reign me back in if I’m out of pocket here, but I don’t think you’re in the position to definitively draw that conclusion on Day 2 of the test with the launch car as the team continues to pound around on harder compounds and 60 kilograms of fuel.

Just my 2 cents.

organic

Last edited by organic on 24 Feb 2023, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Good look at the strake extensions.

organic

mechanoit
mechanoit

Andi76 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 04:11
mechanoit wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 03:46
Andi76 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 00:51

Like i just said - Sky said it - but they said this was told to them by a Mercedes engineer. And sorry - since it makes little sense to me why either party would lie, I believe this Sky -Report. And so i also tend to believe someone who has built that car more. I think he knows better than anyone who compares it from pictures. Unfortunately, a very clear trend is emerging, whereby the statement of a Mercedes engineer naturally has the final weight, I think.

The interesting thing about this is, if true, that strangely enough the pictures that were said to be unrepresentative were the ones that showed the truth.But be it as it is - everyone should believe what he wants. I for my side believe there rather the Mercedes man. Because he should know. He knows both cars not only from photos. And now I'm going to bed - good night guys!
But you didn’t hear it directly from a Mercedes engineer and instead heard it through Sky. It is more likely that Sky have misunderstood, misinterpreted or mischaracterised what the Mercedes engineer told them. 200 mm change in cockpit position is massively significant. Even more so considering that it is already the most forward cockpit of all the cars. Mercedes render comparisons are more accurate and I believe the cockpit positions haven’t changed at all. But if they have, then I think it’s minimal. It’s more likely that the Mercedes engineer said something else to Sky who, as usual, completely messed up in their reporting. As is famously said, Lost in translation.
So I don't know how the Sky reporters are where you come from, but the German Sky reporters already understand what 20cm towards the front axle means...and with the Sky reporters in Germany it's not that they are a disaster. Or say they talked to a Mercedes engineer and when they did not. Why would you do that? Makes no sense. In retrospect, it would come out anyway. Our German Sky reporters already have that much brain.
I don’t have anywhere near the confidence you do of Sky reporters, German or otherwise. But it doesn’t surprise me in the least that someone who thinks a cockpit has moved 20 cm forward could also have high estimation of German Sky reporters.

I’ve been watching the W14 go around the track for 2 days, and right now parked on the track. 20 cm forward would be glaringly obvious. It would look so driver forward bias, like a Pagani Zonda does. There is no way the W14 cockpit is 20 cm forward of the already quite forward W13.

pursue_one's