Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB19

Cs98 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:09
RB seemingly don't use aero-rakes anymore, they exclusively use flow-viz. At least I haven't seen a single aero rake on the car yet.
They ran various pitot tube setups like a line of pitot tubes either side of the role hoop extending 1m either side and also on the floor especially in the undercut region (before + after the tightest sections of the undercut channel), and some pitot tubes in the sidepod inlet but yeah no proper aero rakes like other teams all used. Perez did say on Thursday in media that the pitot tubes weren't giving reliable readings, so that's perhaps why they're doing so much flow-vis.

I've never seen as much flow-vis as they're using - they almost never send car out without it

avantman
avantman

Cs98 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:09
RB seemingly don't use aero-rakes anymore, they exclusively use flow-viz. At least I haven't seen a single aero rake on the car yet.
they used rake yesterday

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:06
Yup, feeding the diffuser with undercut flow, it was clear this is what they are going for since first test last year. Feed the diffuser vortex, make it stronger, it draws more air from under the floor, reduces pressure under entire floor.
Why have they decided to develop a concept using undercut flow to feed the diffuser (like until 2021) with ground effect rules instead of concentrating on mastering the actual grond effect like for example Ferrari (until TD39)? Has Newey foreseen the problems around porpoising and the mandatory FIA directives to prevent it? Was Newey thinking "we'll build it this way and even if a team is faster than us at the start of the season, they'll will drop back once the TDs arrive". :)
As we know RBR got only faster relative to others after TD39.

nico5

LM10 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:23
Vanja #66 wrote:
Yup, feeding the diffuser with undercut flow, it was clear this is what they are going for since first test last year. Feed the diffuser vortex, make it stronger, it draws more air from under the floor, reduces pressure under entire floor.
Why have they decided to develop a concept using undercut flow to feed the diffuser (like until 2021) with ground effect rules instead of concentrating on mastering the actual grond effect like for example Ferrari (until TD39)? Has Newey foreseen the problems around porpoising and the mandatory FIA directives to prevent it? Was Newey thinking "we'll build it this way and even if a team is faster than us at the start of the season, they'll will drop back once the TDs arrive". :)
As we know RBR got only faster relative to others after TD39.
OT but just to point out that the real detriment of TD39 was the plank flex bit, not the porpoising metric, which ended up damaging the cars who could run lower with less/out porpoising. After that they kept running low but had to go much stiffer on setup to maintain the same aero platform, which then compromised low speed and tyre deg. Ferrari was still very fast in quali at the end of the year if you consider the depowered engine...

hollus

I was going to post this in this thread as well...

what the heck, I'll post it anyways...
A reminder to everyone but specially to the new people (welcome!).
The car threads are specially strictly moderated in this forum. Stick to this car and to hardware in the car threads.
Team politics and other team things, please in the team threads.
Lap times and will they be faster/slower than XYZ, either in the team threads, in the testing thread or in the race threads.

If your post is in this thread and is not centering on this car, the physical car, it might have been or might be deleted or moved.
Let's keep the awesome car threads on this forum
a) focused on the hardware and
b) awesome.

Thanks.
...it is a good reminder, but actually...

THANKS!!! 12 pages focused almost entirely on the CAR. =D> =D> =D>

Thanks for keeping it awesome.
Rivals, not enemies.

organic

hollus wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:45

The car threads are specially strictly moderated in this forum. Stick to this car and to hardware in the car threads.
Lap times and will they be faster/slower than XYZ, either in the team threads, in the testing thread or in the race threads.

If your post is in this thread and is not centering on this car, the physical car, it might have been or might be deleted or moved.
b) awesome.

Thanks.

8)

Has anyone done a close look at the rear wings to see if the specifications used in testing so far are just carry-overs from last season?

It seems they are carrying over as much as they can with this car. Much of the rear suspension for instance seems the same, as is the upper half of the sidepod and much of the engine cover

organic

Very very clever interpretation of the floor regulations by red bull here...

They use the floor edge vortex generators like Mercedes, McLaren, but they use a rectangular element and it is extended above the surface of the floor making them serve another purpose. then have a fence-like structure between the two. It is detail that is highly reminiscent of the previous aero era. RB had similar fence-like devices on the rb16b

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:49
hollus wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:45

b) awesome.

Thanks.

8)

Has anyone done a close look at the rear wings to see if the specifications used in testing so far are just carry-overs from last season?

It seems they are carrying over as much as they can with this car. Much of the rear suspension for instance seems the same, as is the upper half of the sidepod and much of the engine cover
I believe Red Bull have tested on track with two different wings thus far. The first one looks to be an old RB18 specification which has a notable crease/kink in the spoon area.

The other seems to have a more blended/rounder spoon shape without the sharp crease in the spoon area. I have not found an RB18 photo which matches this wing yet:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the two wings being tested here should be the foundation for the Bahrain and Jeddah races. The bigger one in Bahrain. The smaller one in Jeddah, just like last year.

Last year in Monza that had a low downforce wing, I'm not sure if the second wing above is the succesor to the monza wing.

The "crease" has been removed.

Blackout

RB still using sidepod air-to-air intercoolers...

organic

Can see the high pressure region below the scoop inlet causing downwash of the oncoming air

organic

Sevach
Sevach

Much deeper.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
In this case, do you know why the original launch spec AMR22 and Alfa Romeo C42 were such awful cars? Those cars arguably had much more sizeable undercut than then RB18/RB19. People were calling those cars "double floor" cars.

gauge_block
gauge_block

Have there been any floor photos yet? I'm curious as to how the channeling is different for the floor from last year